Project - Pokémon Home for emulator save files

spoonlord57

Hey everyone! I've lurked on this site for a while while working on this project, and I wanted to introduce myself and gauge any interest. I'm a software developer and huge Pokémon fan, and for probably 6 years now I've been obsessed with learning how Pokémon are stored, how data persists from game to game, and the magic of moving a Pokémon from a GBA game all the way to the modern era.

As for the project, I call it OpenHome, and it's a cross-platform app that lets you move Pokémon between save files across generations (forwards and backwards). The app stores data locally so you never lose Pokémon data even when moving to an earlier generation and back.

I made a site with more information and download links here, and you can find the GitHub repository here. Here are some screenshots:

image1.thumb.png.522e40f9697a6def7e133cc8dafeae12.pngimage3.thumb.png.7db84b953df3d9caecedd61defbb54ad.pngimage2.thumb.png.d193f9df7e414510780846fa246e8d6e.png

This is a hobby project so I can't guarantee a response time for bug fixes/new features, but I'd welcome any feedback or collaborators! The app is built with Electron + React/TypeScript. I know Electron isn't great, but this way it's availabile on Windows, Mac and Linux, and can be contributed to by most people with JavaScript experience.

Also, major shout out to Kurt, Matt, and all the other PKHeX developers whose code I used to learn the layout of Pokémon file structures, item index numbers, and pretty much everything else related to research on save data formats. If you guys happen to see this and would like more credit anywhere please let me know.

• Like 3

This is a really cool project to see! I was literally looking for something like this not too long ago and disappointed no one had ever considered doing this. PkHeX has a nice pkmdb feature, but something like this is way more interesting to use. I would love to see you continue to give this updates! 

I downloaded it and gave it a go, and it works great. It's very simple and clean, too. Only thing I couldn't figure out was why the save folder option wouldn't do anything (I could open files fine, but that one button didn't have any response).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mathmagician_nws said:

This is a really cool project to see! I was literally looking for something like this not too long ago and disappointed no one had ever considered doing this. PkHeX has a nice pkmdb feature, but something like this is way more interesting to use. I would love to see you continue to give this updates! 

I downloaded it and gave it a go, and it works great. It's very simple and clean, too. Only thing I couldn't figure out was why the save folder option wouldn't do anything (I could open files fine, but that one button didn't have any response).

Thank you so much! Now that you mention it, I checked and must have broken that feature without realizing it. I should have the fix up in the next few days. I appreciate the feedback and the bug report!