BDSP Regional Dex Editing

First off, please accept my apologies I've posted this in the wrong forum. I wasn't really sure whether this counts as research or discussion.

One thing that really bugs me about BDSP is how any Pokemon not part of the original D/P 151, for example any rare spawns you catch in the Underground, have a dex number of ??? until you get the National Dex. I've been tinkering with the game's assets, and I'm trying to see if it is possible to add or remove mons from the Sinnoh dex as a way of getting around this. So far, I've made some progress, but I keep running into a brick wall.

In AssetHelper/Pml/personal_masterdatas/PersonalTable, each Pokemon has an entry (chihou_zukan_no) which you can edit to change their dex number in the Sinnoh regional dex. By default, everything outside the regional dex has this set as -1. In theory, you could swap some mons into the Sinnoh dex by setting this number to whichever number you wish, and then remove mons by setting their number to -1.

By doing this, I've been able to give some Underground Pokemon dex numbers. For example, in the picture below, I've replaced Happiny with Togepi by setting Happiny's number to -1 and Togepi's to 96.

The problem is that even though Togepi is now Sinnoh Pokemon 96, in the actual Pokedex it doesn't appear. On the Pokedex screen, slot 96 is unrevealed, presumably still held by Happiny. 

I'm presuming there's a separate file that handles which Pokemon should be displayed on the dex screen. Does anyone have any ideas?

259652506_1531197580582957_453004060283340352_n.jpg

259490779_698109804399543_3699594845321812800_n.jpg

I too am interested in this. As will others I feel - especially those who are planning to do a Platinum style mod , making the Sinnoh Dex the same as it is in their and up to 210 Pokemon

I believe the Pokedex information will be buried somewhere else, I am not sure where after having a dig around last night in UABEA

But then we will also need to edit the scripts for when you talk to Dawn and Rowan, as well as the 4 NPCS in the Battle Zone that block your path.
This will need editting to match revised Sinnoh Dex quantity, which would then trigger the event to get the National Dex from Rowan, open up Ramanas Park etc.

So there will be a few steps involved, but it is cool that someone has made an early start!
Hopefully others can see this and collaborate with you if they are working on something similar

Edited by Monty3540
TYPO OF 201 PKMN INSTEAD OF 210

Editing Rowan and his aide or changing the number of mons needed to get the National Dex wouldn't be too hard I imagine. Most of the game's scripts are easily accessible in the Dpr folder and the scripting language is fairly similar to that used in Gen 4. The main problem is editing the actual dex itself so it actually shows any replaced or added Pokemon. I've looked almost everywhere in UABEA and can't seem to find it. 

Back in the DS days all of this info was stored in one file and so it was a matter of just changing the order of the index numbers or adding new ones. But so far in BDSP I haven't been able to find the equivalent file, and despite being able to successfully change the dex numbers of individual mons I can't actually have the Pokedex screen itself reflect those changes.

This would obviously be important for a Platinum mod as you said. Right now I've even been able to mod the gym leaders and E4 to have their Platinum teams, but it would be nice if seeing these teams would contribute to dex completion.

• Like 1

Yeah the script changing shouldn't hopefully be too taxing...
Getting the dex editted will be pretty essential for a Platinum mod and personal satisfaction!

It sounds like you have done most of the longer winded job of changing the teams - I have been searching for these files for a couple of hours today with some free time before I gave up!
As I had been looking to change to Platinum teams from day 1 as a must! (Even if the E4 is currently a great challenge)

But it would make perfect sense to have the dex updated with these new teams, to make it an all-in-one Platinum Dex & Roster mod

Hopefully more light will be shed on the possible Sinnoh Dex Expansion by people with bigger brains than me in the coming days and weeks :)

Edited by Monty3540

Many thanks for that!
And yeah you weren't kidding....it does take an age!

I spent way longer than I thought I would to just do one Trainer 😅
PKNX when that eventually it ready for BDSP in the coming months will make it sooooooo much easier thankfully

Edited by Monty3540
mistake

Yeah, PkNX or whatever equivalent tool Kaphotics and the others cook up will be a god send. It took me about a week to edit all of the trainers, and I still haven't touched anything in the post game or any of the rematches! I figure once the tools come out and trainers and wild encounters are much less of a hassle people will have more time to look into my dex problem so I look forward to it!

16 hours ago, DarkGaia said:

Yeah, PkNX or whatever equivalent tool Kaphotics and the others cook up will be a god send. It took me about a week to edit all of the trainers, and I still haven't touched anything in the post game or any of the rematches! I figure once the tools come out and trainers and wild encounters are much less of a hassle people will have more time to look into my dex problem so I look forward to it!

Which tool did you use to edit the trainer data?