Image import and export problems

so my question takes place under map backgrounds > guilds > G01P01A (shouldn't matter which one tho)

I want to change the pokemon on the guild to haunter from wigglytuff. when I export both layers and edit wiggly to haunter and try to import the picture I get some problems

1. If I try to just import layer 2, it succeeds but layer 1's colors get messed up. 

2. if I try to import both layers, without editing layer1 It says it has to many unique tiles (1231 out of 1024), and If I try to delete the boxes that are supposed to be transparent I get a similar error.

the sprite I changed for wigglytuff to haunter has been recolored to only have 4 colors (red, black, grey, white) which should be less than wigglytuff contained and it also looks like palettes 13-15 are unused 

anyone know how I need to go about importing this

images

https://ibb.co/w0qRyqC
https://ibb.co/Pw27t5d

Edited by lemiho19

When importing backgrounds, both layers need to share the same color palette. This might explain why the colors get messed up when importing it, since both of the Haunter images are missing colors that G01P01A's Layer 1 would need.

You can try loading G01P01A's palette onto the original Haunter background that you have, then editing it until it's as you want it. Once that's done, both layers might also need to be converted using SkyTemple. "Reorganize colors only" is the best option of the conversion options since it'll look identical to what you've already made.

18 hours ago, Adex said:

When importing backgrounds, both layers need to share the same color palette. This might explain why the colors get messed up when importing it, since both of the Haunter images are missing colors that G01P01A's Layer 1 would need.

You can try loading G01P01A's palette onto the original Haunter background that you have, then editing it until it's as you want it. Once that's done, both layers might also need to be converted using SkyTemple. "Reorganize colors only" is the best option of the conversion options since it'll look identical to what you've already made.

Im not sure how to load G01P01A's palette onto haunters (Im using paint.net to edit if it matters), I took the eyedropper tool and selected a color that is already in use in the palette and filled in haunter with already used colors so he has a greenish gray color now but I still cannot upload it without changing the palette for layer 1, and what really confuses me is I cannot get both pictures to upload together. I event went and remade layer 1 (and 2) tile by tile to only use each tile once

also when I try Reorganize colors only It gives me an error about deleted colors

Edited by lemiho19

9 hours ago, lemiho19 said:

Im not sure how to load G01P01A's palette onto haunters (Im using paint.net to edit if it matters), I took the eyedropper tool and selected a color that is already in use in the palette and filled in haunter with already used colors so he has a greenish gray color now but I still cannot upload it without changing the palette for layer 1, and what really confuses me is I cannot get both pictures to upload together. I event went and remade layer 1 (and 2) tile by tile to only use each tile once

also when I try Reorganize colors only It gives me an error about deleted colors

Sorry for the late reply! I was actually able to make images that import right into SkyTemple! They'll be attached here and should work just fine.

I forgot to mention something else about importing images that might've also given you trouble. The game has strict color restrictions on backgrounds where in every 8x8 tile, each can only use colors from a palette of 16 indexed colors. Backgrounds can have 16 of these palettes for 256 colors in total. Meeting these restrictions usually involves converting the image through SkyTemple or manually changing it from your art program. I haven't used paint.net, so I can't offer too much advice on things related to that, sorry

Something else about this specific map to be careful if you don't know already: you'll have to reapply the Animated Tiles to the map's chunks once you import these images. In this map's case, it just makes the flowers move ingame. You can do this by going to Chunks -> Layer 2 -> Edit Chunks, and reapplying the Animated Tiles to the flowers.

haunter1.png

haunter2.png

11 hours ago, Adex said:

I forgot to mention something else about importing images that might've also given you trouble. The game has strict color restrictions on backgrounds where in every 8x8 tile, each can only use colors from a palette of 16 indexed colors. Backgrounds can have 16 of these palettes for 256 colors in total. Meeting these restrictions usually involves converting the image through SkyTemple or manually changing it from your art program. I haven't used paint.net, so I can't offer too much advice on things related to that, sorry

Something else about this specific map to be careful if you don't know already: you'll have to reapply the Animated Tiles to the map's chunks once you import these images. In this map's case, it just makes the flowers move ingame. You can do this by going to Chunks -> Layer 2 -> Edit Chunks, and reapplying the Animated Tiles to the flowers.

The image was able to import, I appreciate the help.

So when I exported the image did it change the images colors in some way so it no longer fit the 256 color total (I did use the converter found in TOOLS > Convert image to PMD2 but I may have done it wrong).

Is there a program you might suggest to edit pictures?

1 hour ago, lemiho19 said:

The image was able to import, I appreciate the help.

So when I exported the image did it change the images colors in some way so it no longer fit the 256 color total (I did use the converter found in TOOLS > Convert image to PMD2 but I may have done it wrong).

Is there a program you might suggest to edit pictures?

I mainly use Aseprite, though I think editing backgrounds can work just fine in paint.net too. There's also a guide here that goes over importing backgrounds into SkyTemple!