Some questions about this gen.

Durnaxe

So I'm a long time player of pokemon (red, blue, gold, saph, and diamond) but I skipped gen 5 and heartgold/soulsilver.

I've never been a big fan of the competitive scene (I thought about getting into it legitimately while un-employed after diamond came out but after breeding about 15 munchlaxe's F that) so what I'd really like to do is be that guy who catches or evolves all the pokemon in the game. Its why I still play red/blue the most because you actually can catch them all.

I keep reading that you can catch them all in X and Y through friend safari or that you can't so my questions would be:

(1) Can you really find all the pokemon, including legendaries, in the games? (give or take edition exclusives).

(2) If you cannot, would it be worth my time to pick up black2 or white2 to transfer my huge amount from diamond I have set up (from sapphire even) to transfer over to X and Y.

(2a) If I am gonna have to pick up a gen 5 game do I have to pick up an action replay to get all the event exclusives like darkrai, arcerus(sp?) ect? I am willing to trade for the ones I am missing of course.

(3) Or should I just nullify all of the above and see if an action replay comes out to break X and Y and catch them all that way?

Sorry if this is the wrong location, I haven't been able to find a half decent answer to those above anywhere and this forum seems like might have the answer. I'm not technologically involved with all the nonsense of trying to back up save files and all that hullabaloo. I just want to play these games with the draw gamefreak has me with, to catch them all, which they seem to make REALLY hard without cheating.

Thank you for any assistance with my questions.

You really can't catch them all in Gen I due to trade evolutions and no way to get the other starters/hitmon and whatnot. Just like every other Pokemon game, trading and going to events is required.

The huge vast majority of Pokemon are available within X and Y and after Transport/Bank are out, you'll be able to trade everything else you don't have.