Why isn't my Pokegen generating Shinies?

iheartmytepig

Hi, I'm fairly new to Pokegen and this particular Forum, and my Pokegen doesn't seem to be working properly.

What happened was I was 1 Pokemon away from completing my Unova Dex, and so instead of going to capture/breed one, I was lazy and decided to Pokegen it. The Pokemon was a Rufflet, as sad as that may seem. Well, I've gotten pretty good with Pokegen and such, and I also use PokeGTS, if that's any help. I've used Pokegen several times before and it's generated Shinies, no problem, but with my Rufflet, it for some oddity didn't. I'm wondering if it was because I made him hatch from an Egg at level 100, with a full set of Moves, or is it something different? He doesn't have the Pokerus, or illegal Moves, or illegal Trait, or anything illegal at all. Except for the fact he hatched at level 100, and was holding an item. Is this why he wasn't Shiny? Did the game see that he wasn't legal?

Thanks!

*~Iheartmytepig~*

Edited by iheartmytepig

A Pokemon's "Shiny" status is directly generated by the PID# and nothing else about the Pokemon will affect whether or not your Pokemon is shiny. All it means is the PID that Pokegen auto-generated for your Pokemon was not a shiny PID.

In order for you to get a "Shiny PID" certain things must be entered.

1. Under tab 5 (OT/Misc) you must insure that the 2 ID numbers are correct. The first # is your Trainer ID (TID) which can be found on your trainer card in-game. The 2nd # is your Secret (SID) which can't be obtained via normal means. To get your Secret ID I recommend using Pokecheck.org which is a GTS Legality checker. Follow the instruction there to upload a Pokemon you caught or bred (not traded for) in your game (this is not an actual upload, just a data copy, the Pokemon never leaves your game) and you will see your SID.

2. Under tab 1 (Main) next to the PID Line click the 'F' button

3. Fill in the relevant info (IV's [0-31], species, Nature, Gender, ability) and ensure that the 'Shiny' box has a check in it.

4. Click 'Search' and select the PID you wish to use.

That's the Pokegen way to get a PID. Personally to get a PID I use a program called RNGReporter which is used by people who, instead of 'hacking' their Pokemon with Pokegen, prefer a method called 'RNG abuse' that uses a program (RNGReporter for Windows, I forget what the MAC Equivalent is) to determine what time they need to set there DS's clock to in order to predetermine the Stats, Nature, Gender, Ability, and Shiny a Pokemon has when they catch, hatch, or receive it from a Wonder Card. Setting up your RNGReporter can take a bit, and still requires you have your TID/SID, but it can generate PID's (though they need to be converted from Heximal to Decimal) while giving a much more accurate ability to Specify all the aforementioned qualities of your pokemon.

It's very easy for an amateur to make a mistake with Pokegen and find that the Pokemon they made does not pass a legality check. If you are patient (it can take a couple days to really learn the system) RNG abuse produces 100% legal Pokemon because all you are changing is the time on your DS, not introducing or altering data to the game. Normally I RNG my pokemon, I only use Pokegen when I want to have a specific move set that would require multiple generations of breeding and am feeling lazy.

Hope this helps you get your shiny Pokemon generated.

Wait, I'm a little confused... I'm not a technical kind of person, so I assume it's understandable=) I use Pokecheck most of the time, but I thought I may want to trade him later on, and used PokeGTS. I've looked on Pokecheck and cannot figure out how to upload Pokemon to get your secret ID. And, on top of all that, I re-checked his PKM file and it's Shiny box is checked. I re-saved the file, this time un-checking the Egg box, and we'll see if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!

Iheartmytepig