Scripting error-pokemond diamond

Well i have been editing this rom lots of times so I'm not certain if that's the issue.

Tool: PPRE

So here's the problem, upon entering Sandgem town, you encounter Lucas/Dawn. But at where the event triggers, before the exclamation mark is shown, the game freezes (music still playing). I checked the script/functions/movements for Sandgem town, everything was the same as the original rom except the text(i also tried copying and pasting the text from the original rom).

Is there anything else that might cause this problem?

Thanks

edit: Removed the entire script for dawn/lucas for sandgem town to see if that helps, but when i enter Professor Rowan's lab (the event continues because i didn't delete that script) but it freezes before the event starts... so is there like a overall script for like dawn/lucas? that's what seems to be the problem to me =/

Edit2: Used my back up rom that i saved at a earlier time, changed the text /froze at that point =/

Edit3:used back up file added 2 extra overworld sprites to twinleaf town. game froze at the beginning of the game before the trigger of the event at the door of your rival's house

maybe I edited the game too many times? ?-?

edit4:used a completely clean rom and applied my edits, game froze upon trigger at sand gem town... guess it's not that I edited too many times =/

Edited by loveless2334

Hey there. For some reason, at times PPRE will mess up a script just by pressing save even if you didn't edit it. I have no idea why this is.

My advice:

Open a copy of the ROM where the event still works without a freeze.

Edit the things you want to edit on that route, and then, BEFORE pressing save, go to scripts, and type in a bunch of gibberish underneath one of them. Just like "29489ew5idtoidf6456ryfdHRD" whatever.

Save the route.

When you save, it will NOT save the script as your gibberish is not a valid command, but it will still save say, if you made changes to wild Pokemon.

If you're adding NPCs to the route I've noticed that can also cause a crash and I haven't figured out how to get around it myself, but this workaround should allow you to at least do basic things like edit wilds on the route.

I pretty much never hit save in PPRE without doing something to prevent it from saving scripts, since there are many routes and areas that it will mess up.

An alternative plan, if you know which NARCs contain your edits, is that you can use a program to insert only the files you meant to edit into a clean ROM, for example if you only editted moves, you could take a clean Diamond and throw in your editted waza_tbl, etc. This would guarantee that no file you didn't intend to edit will be editted.

• 2 weeks later...

If you aren't editing scripts at all, you can copy /root/fielddata/script/scr_seq.narc and then replace it when you are finished with your edits. Basically, to get rid of the junky script narc while keeping the rest of the ROM in tact.