How to get Gen 4 PKM files to Pokemon HOME

DannyB01

Hi everyone, it’s been years since my Pokemon days and things have changed a whole lot! I used to trade event files and have predominantly gen 4 .pkm files, as well as a bunch of gen 5. I assume my gen 3 .gpk files are trapped forever.

I’d really like to get my favourite files into Pokemon HOME so I can access them in Gen 9 on my Switch. I’m wondering what the best way to do this is? I’d rather not mod the Switch, but I’m willing to buy a 3DS (or 2DS, or XL, whatever’s recommended) to do the transfer. In an ideal world I’d use PKHEX to convert but I’m not sure I can do .pkm all the way up to .pk9 and I don’t imagine I can load .pk9 files onto a cartridge version of Scarlet or without modding the Switch.

This is what I was planning:

1. Use PKHEX to convert my .pkm files from gen 4/5 to gen 6.

2. Get a modded 3DS and ROM and save for Pokemon X. Load the gen 6 files onto that.

3. Use hshop to download Pokemon Bank and use that to get the files off Pokemon Sun.

4. Use Pokemon HOME to get Pokemon from Pokemon Bank. Rinse and repeat.

The part I’m most worried about is using Pokemon Bank with a ROM version of Pokemon X/Y, is this possible? My worry is that I’d need a physical Pokemon X cartridge in the 3DS for Pokemon Bank to recognise it, which would mean I can’t load .pk6 files into a .sav for X, which would be a really simple process. I saw perhaps the only way for Bank to work with ROMS on an SD card would be to use gen 5 and the Poketransporter. Is there any truth to that?

Also, is there a “most recommended” console for reliability of the transfer process? Or are 2DS/3DS/XL all similar, or even are the “new” versions more/less reliable?

I’d really appreciate any advice I can get on this. I’m happy to pay for consoles for anything that is known to work. The main objective is getting my gen 4 events onto Pokemon HOME so I can access from the Gen 9 games and Gen 10 in the future. Thank you in advance for any help!

Edit: I have around 30k event pkm so am looking for the quickest conversion route to get into Bank or HOME. Would like to use PKHEX for as much of the conversion as possible. I assume Poketransfer would be time consuming as I intend to add ~3000 Pokemon into HOME.

Edit2: seems like a downloaded version of X must work with Pokemon Bank so I don’t understand why a ROM version on a modded 3DS wouldn’t. Should I try this?

Edited by DannyB01

Hello, the ROM works correctly with the bank, and regarding the way to speed up the process, what I can recommend is that with Pkhex you load the pokemons in your Pokemon X game and from the bank you take them all. Make sure all pokemon are legal.

All the best.

• Thanks 1