Help with Pokemon Red .sav file

Hello everyone,

I have the game boy game ‘Pokemon Red’ spanish version. I started playing it when I bought it second hand in 2019, in my original game boy advance sp. I have never changed its internal battery since I bought it, so I deduce that the battery it has is quite old. It is worth noting that it has never given me save problems, I have been able to play the saved game for all these years. 

I have been able to play perfectly well in the saved game I had,  but just in case I made a back-up some weeks ago of the saved game in a .sav file using the EPILOGUE GB operator. 

Last day, I inserted my pokemon red game in a modified game boy pocket (with the IPS screen) and suddenly I wasn’t able to continue my game anymore on the cartridge. Having the back-up from some weeks ago I attempted to recover the save but the cartridge can’t seem to load it. The battery has a voltage of 2.935V between its two pins. In addition, I have also checked the voltage between the pins TB1 and TB2 to TB4 and they seem to have the right voltages.

I tried to check the save file using Poke HEX but I’m getting the following error:

AD_4nXe3ZlHVFJNOEtrWcUntOooAHQbYMQkUZQvwGrkh_3XMUoBKu1fzut1huAsXz0zfbnlV2fs71LqwwURYdrO_IX1lz-xHD7O9zlsoWjicMHN-53Pqgtq9vLqrnyc9g-EQzyDMD7rZHrcLfV8iHXxuAsQp0xe1b-_xO1bJiA_Qrw?key=LHAkUHAnHcZU4B3zk0iwvg

What strikes me here is that the size seems fine. I have tried to load it in a HEX editor but I lack the expertise to detect if something is out of place. 

I am lost with this. I would appreciate any help or guidance on how to make the .sav file at least readable for Poke HEX. I have attached the ‘.sav’ file in case it is helpful. I will gladly provide any further details if necessary.

Thank you a lot in advance!

Pokemon - Edicion Roja (Spain) (SGB Enhanced).sav

This sav file is obviously damaged, and if the cartridge itself is genuine and OK you can contact Epilogue to enquire about it

Edited by Dybala

Posted (edited)

Thank you a lot for your rapid response!

Yeah that’s the reason of this post, asking for help if there is any way of restoring any amount of information out of this ‘.sav’ file. However, I have checked the internal battery of the game and its fine, so I don’t think that the problem is there. Also, I have saved '.sav' files with EPILOGUE GB of other pokemon games and they save it perfectly.

I wonder if is it possible to recover (ideally all of it) any kind information out of it. My pokemon team, pokemon in the boxes…anything.

Note: In any case, I will obviously contact epilogue gb as well. I am trying all possible ways to solve this. 

Edited by professorbill
Add a note to emphasize my commitment

The corruption of this file is almost impossible to recover compared to a normal "sav" file

27 minutes ago, professorbill said:

非常感谢您的快速回复!

是的这就是我发这篇文章的原因,寻求帮助,看看是否有任何方法可以从这个“.sav”文件中恢复任何信息。但是,我检查了游戏的内置电池,它没有问题,所以我不认为问题出在这里。另外,我还用其他口袋妖怪游戏的EPILOGUE GB保存了“.sav”文件,它们保存得非常完美。

我想知道是否有可能恢复(理想情况下是全部)任何类型的信息。我的口袋妖怪团队、盒子里的口袋妖怪……任何东西。

屏幕截图 2024-07-30 012737.png

25分钟前,迪巴拉说道:

与普通的“sav”文件相比,此文件的损坏几乎不可能恢复

屏幕截图 2024-07-30 012737.png

It's impossible to recover.😟

Edited by Dybala