Confusion about legality of Patterns from Vivillon (gen 7with origin in gen 6)

Acno_Cero

So like the Titel says this is about Vivillons and there Pattern. While trying to find out what exactly makes the Pattern not legal i got a bit confused while trying out.  I did try all of the Region based once and out of that 15 did stay legal with my combination of 3DS Region, Sub Region and Country. Only for the Elegant, Modern and Savanna Pattern i did have to change it.  While i did change the Elegant one one according to a list i found on this forum to Japan, Tokyo, Japan and it got completly Legal. The other 2 i changes to Americas, Manitoba, Canada and this 2 got legal too. 

But now what confused my i did read ohn reddit that if i Bread a Vivillon with for example the Meadow Pattern and trade the egg over to a game with the Sun Pattern than the egg would give me the Meadow Pattern still? So is that the reason why they can be all the same Region? If yes why than it isnt the case for the other 3 Pattern?

Or is the 3DS Region all that matters? At least from trying around as long as the Patter posssible in that 3DS Region and the Sub Region and Country are in that Region looks like it doesnt really matter?

i would love if someone could explain for me what is wrong so i can understand how exactly all this works

On 10/14/2023 at 4:58 PM, Acno_Cero said:

But now what confused my i did read ohn reddit that if i Bread a Vivillon with for example the Meadow Pattern and trade the egg over to a game with the Sun Pattern than the egg would give me the Meadow Pattern still? So is that the reason why they can be all the same Region? If yes why than it isnt the case for the other 3 Pattern?

Or is the 3DS Region all that matters? At least from trying around as long as the Patter posssible in that 3DS Region and the Sub Region and Country are in that Region looks like it doesnt really matter?

i would love if someone could explain for me what is wrong so i can understand how exactly all this works

Each 3DS region has limited countries and subregions, and each combination of a country and subregion is assigned a pattern. Your Vivillon pattern depends on what your 3DS was set to when you started the game, not what it is at the time of hatching. The Egg's region information depends on what the 3DS was set to when the egg was generated. Trading does not change the pattern or 3DS region on the egg.

The reason so many patterns are valid is because you can freely change your country/subregion as long as it's within the same console region. As long as any combination of country/subregion can have that pattern on that region 3DS, the pattern is possible with any of its country/subregion combinations. PKHeX will flag them as "fishy" in verbose legality (ctrl + click the check) if the country/subregion doesn't naturally have that pattern. The message will be about non-native Vivillon pattern.

Use this site for the following example of how this works: https://www.pocketmonsters.net/content/Vivillon_Location_List

Say your 3DS is region E (PAL) and you have it set to Australia/Tasmania when you create your game. This sets your pattern to Garden.

You create your game and get to the nursery.

You collect an egg. This egg will be Garden pattern and the region/subregion on it will be Australia/Tasmania.

You then change your console region/subregion to Albania/Shkodrës (this is also possible on an E or PAL system). Normally this combination would be Marine pattern, but since the game was already created as Garden, it will still be Garden.

You collect a second egg. This new egg will be Garden pattern and the region/subregion on it will be Albania/Shkodrës. PKHeX will mark this as "fishy" in verbose legality because normally, this combination should be Marine.

You now trade both eggs to a JPN console. Both will still hatch as Garden pattern, with the original regions when they were collected.