Trimmed ROMs: Needs assistance in knowing their effects.

If anyone has seen my first thread regarding PPRE and thenewpoketext, I am now making another post here because I realized that it may be the tmp_[romname] folder provided by both PPRE and thenewpoketext that has a lot to do with the making of a "trimmed" ROM. Now, I am curious to know, what exactly happens in the process of trimming ROMs? People have told me that it just deletes junk data and that the ROMs work naturally like an untrimmed ROM. However, in my case, it doesn't seem to work that way. Because every trimmed ROM that I try to open with either the flashcard or the emulator, it never does. I often question why this happens. Does it require you to configurate some settings in the emulator? Does the flashcard require a patching of some sort? I know that some hacks don't work on either the emulator or flashcard, but never did I expected them to not work on both. I only managed to successfully edit text in thenewpoketext using Nitro Explorer 2b (which hardly ever hinders the ROM's filesize). This means that it's the trimming itself that's troubling the new ROM. But if it's working for almost everyone else, then what exactly is causing mines not to? Does my old ROM have to (or not) remain in the folder once editing is done? Does it depend on what computer system I'm using (examples: NTFS, FAT32)? I really need some assistance in knowing what's wrong with the trimming. Because I can't proceed in hacking Gen. 4 games with both the emulator and the flashcard blocking the usage of the trimmed ROMs. And I really don't want to have to give up on hacking Gen. 4 games.:frown:

Edited by GalacticBoss46

Man, i'm researching for your problem. I want resolve it as soon as possible. By the way, you can try to do the following:

put ndstool.exe in your user folder(ex: X:\Users\TheUser\ndstool.exe );

then, run cmd(command prompt). Type ndstool.exe and read all the informations about ndstool, and how you can do your work fine(or if you can't, it depends).

Make sure your \tmp_[romname] is in the same folder as ndstool, or you must to write all the folders information(you understand what i mean when you read ndstool info)

If you encounter any problem, please write all the problems about emulators and flashcards(errors popups, blank/black screen, etc...). It can help us very much for try to resolve your problem

Man, i'm researching for your problem. I want resolve it as soon as possible. By the way, you can try to do the following:

put ndstool.exe in your user folder(ex: X:\Users\TheUser\ndstool.exe );

then, run cmd(command prompt). Type ndstool.exe and read all the informations about ndstool, and how you can do your work fine(or if you can't, it depends).

Make sure your \tmp_[romname] is in the same folder as ndstool, or you must to write all the folders information(you understand what i mean when you read ndstool info)

If you encounter any problem, please write all the problems about emulators and flashcards(errors popups, blank/black screen, etc...). It can help us very much for try to resolve your problem

I just got them to work right now. My problem was that I didn't apply Rudolph's Child's Play patch to it (however, Alpha and SCV didn't say you needed to have that for trimmed ROMs either). Also, I believe that the ROM I was using wasn't clean after all. It's just that I can't really tell whether or not I'm using a clean ROM. But anyways, thanks for trying to help.