In this guide I'll be going over the (very) simple process of dumping your Nintendo Switch Pokémon titles for use with pkNX. This will work with the following games:
• Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! / Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!
• Pokémon Sword / Pokémon Shield** For Sword and Shield, pkNX operates under the assumption that your dumped ROM includes the Ver. 1.2.0 patch.
What you'll need:
• A Nintendo Switch running Custom Firmware (preferably Atmosphère)
• The latest release of NXDumpTool
• The latest build of pkNX (steps on how to get the latest build can be found on its forum post)
• Your console keys/title keys (you can obtain these files using Lockpick_RCM; send the RCM payload to your console, dump keys from your specified NAND, and boot into CFW)
• A microSD Card with enough free space to dump your game (~5GB for LGPE, ~11GB for SWSH)
• Means of transferring files between your microSD Card and computer
• A computer running any recent Windows OS in order to run pkNX
1. Get into The Homebrew Menu as per your Custom Firmware
2. Run NXDumpTool
3. Select Dump gamecard content if you have a physical copy of the game, and make sure your Game Card is inserted
4. Select Dump installed SD card / eMMC content if you have a digital copy of the game, and navigate to your game of choice
5. Select RomFS options
6. Navigate to Use update/DLC and press Right on your D-Pad to change it from No to the latest patch
The latest patch will read as follows, depending on your game: (Ver. 1.0.2) Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! - 010003F003A34000 v131072 (0.0.2.0) (UPD) (Ver. 1.0.2) Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! - 0100187003A36000 v131072 (0.0.2.0) (UPD) (Ver. 1.3.0) Pokémon Sword - 0100ABF008968000 v327680 (0.0.5.0) (UPD) (Ver. 1.3.0) Pokémon Shield - 01008DB008C2C000 v327680 (0.0.5.0) (UPD)
7. Navigate back to the top of the list and select RomFS section data dump
This process will take some time; be patient, let it properly dump all of the contents and don't power off your console!
8. Press B to back out several times, and repeat Steps 3 through 7, only this time instead of selecting RomFS options, select ExeFS options
9. Your dumps will be located in the following path on your SD Card: sd:/switch/nxdumptool/
10. Inside the RomFS folder, and the ExeFS folder, you should be greeted to your ROM dump
11. The folders inside RomFS and ExeFS will be named after your ROM dump; rename them to romfs and exefs respectively, and then move them to one big folder containing both of these folders
So, for example, you will have one massive folder named Sword and inside this folder there will be two other folders named romfs and exefs
12. Run pkNX and load the merged folder you just moved to your computer
13. Edit/randomize away!
Once your changes have been made, a patch folder for use with LayeredFS will be generated in your ROM dump folder.
Move this folder to sd:/atmosphere/contents/ (or whichever other location if you choose to not use Atmosphère) in order for your changes to be reflected in-game.