Jump to content
  • Starter Mod

    This mod patches a lot of things to bring the best possible playing experience. Here's what it will patch for you:

    • Starter editing - Makes playing as other Pokémon possible
    • High-Res model patching - Prevents your model from disappearing during certain closeups
    • Portrait patching - Shows the default portrait in the absence of a more specific emotion portrait
    • Animation patching - Substitute missing story animations with dungeon ones to avoid the attack animation being used for everything
    • And something else in the scripts specific to Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon that can't be mentioned without revealing spoilers. It is the last item in a similar list in this video if you're fine with being spoiled, or if you've seen it before.

    You must have Java on your computer to use this.

    This has been tested on the North American and European versions of Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, and the North American version of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. I don't know if will work on the Japanese version of Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, but it will not work on any other version of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity.

    Instructions

    1. On the New Project window, choose "Starter Mod" in the drop-down, and fill in the name with something that makes sense. Then click OK.
      image.png
    2. Wait until the loading is complete. This is one of the heavier mods, and may take some time even on beefier computers.
    3. Save the solution, to avoid having to repeat step 2 if something goes wrong.
    4. Expand the project you just created and open "fixed_pokemon.bin". You can do this either by double-clicking or by right-clicking and clicking Open.
      image.png
    5. Edit things to your liking. You should see this when editing Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon (Gates to Infinity has a much simpler interface):
      image.png
      For the purpose of this guide, I'll do this:
      image.png
      Things to consider:
      • Each Pokémon must have 4 moves. It's been a while since I tried having less, but I remember things not working with fewer than 4 moves. In my example, I got the first three moves from the level up, and the fourth from Zorua's set of egg moves, although you are not required to stick to these; you can pick anything you want.
      • (PSMD only) The evolution must be the final evolution in the line. If you pick a Pokémon with multiple evolutions, the first on will be used. Refer to the PSMD Pokédex index to find which evolution comes first (for example, if the starter is Eevee, the first evolution is Vaporeon).
    6. Click File -> Save -> Save File.
      image.png
    7. You can now rebuild the mod-pack. Note that this may take a while.

    Edited by evandixon

    • Like 1
    • Amazed 1
    • Confused 1



    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    Hello friend (Evandixon), we have not seen each other for a long time, well... I found this ERROR while creating the Starter Mod project, for Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon (Europe, Multi Languages), well here I leave the screenshot that detect the error box and I wait that there is a solution.

    1961987730_Error(StarterMod)PSMDEurope.thumb.jpg.12acb86e7a18eb8edbc3d81682120ddd.jpg

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    On 4/8/2021 at 8:00 PM, Ricardo Ramirez said:

    Hello friend (Evandixon), we have not seen each other for a long time, well... I found this ERROR while creating the Starter Mod project, for Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon (Europe, Multi Languages), well here I leave the screenshot that detect the error box and I wait that there is a solution.

    1961987730_Error(StarterMod)PSMDEurope.thumb.jpg.12acb86e7a18eb8edbc3d81682120ddd.jpg

    You need to install Java on your computer.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Hello,

    I've been trying to mod psmd and every time I try to play it it gets stuck on a black screen. I was looking through these and someone had the same issue that was fixed by unclicking two checks on the starter mod so the portrait and model mods work. I tried that but now when I try to open the game it outright crashes before I can even press a button. 

    It's the US version of psmd, the base rom works fine, I'm using a pretty new windows laptop with 8 RAM but I don't know all the details. I wanted to avoid bugging you if I could but it's just not working. Sorry for the bother.

     

    Update: I don't even need to change anything. If I put the untouched rom into the editor and then export it back out as a decrypted 3ds file it does the black screen and crash thing. Even if I didn't otherwise touch it. This is really weird.

    Edited by The Ensemble
    New information was obtained.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    On 4/14/2021 at 10:28 AM, evandixon said:

    You need to install Java on your computer.

    Affirmative and Received.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Hi Evandixon it is true that you fixed the above problem, but now I found ANOTHER BIG PROBLEM.

    You see, when I was building a mod for Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon (Europe Ver.), I told the ModPack to build it for me in a decrypted 3DS format as you see in the following image:

    80460420_(Modpack)BuildDecrypted3DSFile.thumb.png.8ed5f06994cdc1533bdd29c846fafede.png

    Well as you see, now you will see this next image when the Starter Mod is 100% complete and then you have to open the DS PATCHER, and see what the DS PATCHER does when it progresses the patch.

    1116537407_Decrypted3DSFilePatchingErrorResults.thumb.png.9da4cb11c7b73c332b2c05d1b17e1aca.png

    SEE that I found an error, and now I will show you all the information of the error box that the DS PATCHER detected:

    1605457346_DSPATCHERErrorBox(PART1).thumb.png.6d1865d5055bf6d9e79261776527a11a.png

    1688258555_DSPATCHERErrorBox(PART2).thumb.png.b0b05a698b923e59df71dc95a4b0dc2d.png

    Well once that error happened it took me HOURS for that patch to finish, but instead it was not finished and it was still in Repacking the ROM state, which was bad luck, don't you think Evandixon...
    Well... here I leave you and tell me if there is a solution to this problem.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    20 minutes ago, Ricardo Ramirez said:

    1116537407_Decrypted3DSFilePatchingErrorResults.thumb.png.9da4cb11c7b73c332b2c05d1b17e1aca.png

    I don't know about this error. But...

    20 minutes ago, Ricardo Ramirez said:

    1605457346_DSPATCHERErrorBox(PART1).thumb.png.6d1865d5055bf6d9e79261776527a11a.png

    This error means that you started with a CXI file. The 3DS builder library I'm using for building decrypted 3ds ROMs needs a little more information than a CXI file has, so you'll have to use another option instead.

    22 minutes ago, Ricardo Ramirez said:

    80460420_(Modpack)BuildDecrypted3DSFile.thumb.png.8ed5f06994cdc1533bdd29c846fafede.png

    On this screen, I recommend "Build Luma Layered FS". If you're using Luma 3DS, just make sure game patching is enabled and paste the contents of the SD Card folder in the output directory onto your SD card. It should also work on Citra 3DS, although there's a chance you'll need to rearrange some of the files. See the Citra 3DS website for details.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    9 hours ago, evandixon said:

    I don't know about this error. But...

    This error means that you started with a CXI file. The 3DS builder library I'm using for building decrypted 3ds ROMs needs a little more information than a CXI file has, so you'll have to use another option instead.

    On this screen, I recommend "Build Luma Layered FS". If you're using Luma 3DS, just make sure game patching is enabled and paste the contents of the SD Card folder in the output directory onto your SD card. It should also work on Citra 3DS, although there's a chance you'll need to rearrange some of the files. See the Citra 3DS website for details.

    I understand Evandixon, well I made another attempt and in the end the Sky Editor progressed correctly.

    Edited by Ricardo Ramirez

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    On 4/15/2021 at 2:37 PM, The Ensemble said:

    Hello,

    I've been trying to mod psmd and every time I try to play it it gets stuck on a black screen. I was looking through these and someone had the same issue that was fixed by unclicking two checks on the starter mod so the portrait and model mods work. I tried that but now when I try to open the game it outright crashes before I can even press a button. 

    It's the US version of psmd, the base rom works fine, I'm using a pretty new windows laptop with 8 RAM but I don't know all the details. I wanted to avoid bugging you if I could but it's just not working. Sorry for the bother.

     

    Update: I don't even need to change anything. If I put the untouched rom into the editor and then export it back out as a decrypted 3ds file it does the black screen and crash thing. Even if I didn't otherwise touch it. This is really weird.

    Update: it worked for no reason. didnt change anything. guess it had just been a bad day for the computer. new question - I'm hoping to play as an onix but it's physically too large to complete the nuzleaf tutorial. any ideas?

    Edited by The Ensemble
    different question, didnt wanna spam

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    can I have some help with this?

    the type names don't look right

    (if I did spam, I'm sorry)
    image.thumb.png.d0cc0a393683a2490ea8a185735cdfbf.png

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    On 6/30/2021 at 4:22 PM, PhoenixKing22 said:

    can I have some help with this?

    the type names don't look right

    (if I did spam, I'm sorry)
    image.thumb.png.d0cc0a393683a2490ea8a185735cdfbf.png

    Left-click then right-click on the [Directory] node, then choose Create Project instead.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    3 hours ago, evandixon said:

    Left-click then right-click on the [Directory] node, then choose Create Project instead.

    Thank you!
    (I honestly thought I screwed up)

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    one last thing, why is this happening?
    (sorry if I'm being a bother)image.thumb.png.802fcf6aae463ab5be4e47c507e52b02.png

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    for some reason trying to boot to smd crashes my 3ds just before the title screen loads. booting the game with game patching disabled works fine so the cartridge itself doesn't seem to be the issue, and no errors show up while building the mod. here is the modpack zip if its needed https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ne8MXEFGMQyKhFfRnKlcdD82RPpEIjTP/view?usp=sharing, if the 3ds crash screen is necessary for whatever reason ill send that too

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    2 hours ago, Banan said:

    for some reason trying to boot to smd crashes my 3ds just before the title screen loads. booting the game with game patching disabled works fine so the cartridge itself doesn't seem to be the issue, and no errors show up while building the mod. here is the modpack zip if its needed https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ne8MXEFGMQyKhFfRnKlcdD82RPpEIjTP/view?usp=sharing, if the 3ds crash screen is necessary for whatever reason ill send that too

    The starter mod changes a lot of things and can interfere with other mods such as your portrait and script mods. In Sky Editor, right-click the starter project and click Properties, then you'll be shown some project settings. Disable portrait and model patching and then save. Alternatively, get rid of your own portrait and model projects (and remove the "Modpack Files" directory from (Solution Path)/Modpack) if you want the starter mod's changes instead.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    turns out the mods weren't removed when i tried to delete them, making a whole new solution and only making the starter project fixed the issue. thanks for the help

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Question, as this is just me double-checking as I am kind dumb. The 'Starter Mod', it already covers all those things the other 'mods' listed have going, right? So if I want to edit my game to change my starters, I don't need to use bother with 'Portrait/Model' mods at all right?

    Or do I need to tinker with those to fix stuff like portrait/models? Just double checking, really! As the Starter mod itself does have those features listed as patched in.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    9 hours ago, Droner said:

    Question, as this is just me double-checking as I am kind dumb. The 'Starter Mod', it already covers all those things the other 'mods' listed have going, right? So if I want to edit my game to change my starters, I don't need to use bother with 'Portrait/Model' mods at all right?

    Or do I need to tinker with those to fix stuff like portrait/models? Just double checking, really! As the Starter mod itself does have those features listed as patched in.

    The 3DS starter mod covers both portraits and models. The Explorers of Sky one does not.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    49 minutes ago, evandixon said:

    The 3DS starter mod covers both portraits and models. The Explorers of Sky one does not.

    Yeah. I am using it for SMD. So good to know, thank you for clarifying things up.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    It worked! Thanks, also I do have another question-Did someone ever try to make a mod to reveal the sparkling tiers in the map or is it too complicated to bother?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites




    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...