Anyone Ever Have This Happen?

mbruno

I think the old cartridges used a battery inside of it to retain the memory and keep clock based events going.

I think you're right, however I think on the GBA games it uses flash memory for the save, though it still has a battery for the time based events.

Yeah mine was like that, except i was checking by PC boxes, admiring my hard earned Pokemon, and you know how it goes, you must save to view each box, so i closed the game, switched it back on, then boom, no more save, all my Pokemon, i practically broke down crying,:( but that was years ago.

I remember like 7-5 years ago having a gold that had a dead battery. At the time i didint have a game boy anymore but a super game boy thing for the snes. I remember playing for hours, and having my game erased. I finally pinned it to that my save file was lost every time I removed the game from the super game boy cartridge. so i ended up playing through pretty much the whole game with out playing any other snes game for a time length of months, but some how the snes recharged the internal battery of my gold. I one day didnt care about it any more and took it out to play somthing else, and later i put it back in just to see if it my save was still there, and it was. I even later got a GBA and was able to play it on that for a year or 2 untill i got rid of the game, no save file erased at all.

I think prolonged usesage of playing a game slowly recharges the internal battery, i think most dead batteries come from a game that has not been played for years and then popped back in to be played.

A while ago I decided to pull out my Pokemon Silver for old times' sake and when I went to play the a been erased. Guess it was a weak battery, how annoying.

The internal battery dies out eventually. My Gold version did the same thing. Now it cannot save anymore. You can get it replaced somewhere if you would like.

Yes, It is the Internal Battery in the Cartridges keeping the Clock based events alive

So when you get that error it means that the Internal Battery has run dry and clock based events will no longer work in that game. It dosent mean that the game is not playable

I think you can still play the game, but can't save. My Gold still have enough juice to play, but I don't know when the battery is going to die x_x. All I need is a Gameboy/Gameboy Pocket/Gameboy Light/Gameboy Color and I'm good to go for nostalgia effect :D

• 2 months later...
A while ago I decided to pull out my Pokemon Silver for old times' sake and when I went to play the a been erased. Guess it was a weak battery, how annoying.

I think its only because of that Realtime thing, since it never happened to my Red or Blue. But yeah, it happened to my Gold and Silver :[, but now since I have an R4 to play GBC games I have no worry.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

okay what about on emerald, saphire, and ruby when the internal batery runs dry any way to fix that? I read about silver you can actually go to walgreens and buy a batery for your silver version if that dies but i'm not sure about the gen 2 games.

• 2 months later...