Was the 2nd Generation the best to follow?

Fallen

My question is fairly simple; seeing how crazily fast Pokémon took off do you think the second generation was the best to keep the momentum? I do, in fact I believe the second generation to be the best off all four.

If it had come in any other order I don't think the franchise would have sky-rocketed as fast. Don't get me wrong, it would still be as big as it is today, but the Pokémon after the second generation started to lose originality.

It was the best because it established many aspects of PKMN, berries, breeding, day and night, re-battling trainers, the list goes on. It was long and in my opinion the only PKMN game to give me a very meaty RGP experience. And who doesn't love or want to have a shiny Gyarados. And it had Team Rocket, ahh good old Rocket Grunts, how I've missed beating them so.

I liked Gen II a LOT, but there were a lot of problems with it.

1) The first half of the game was TOO easy. I mean seriously... a level 50 Dragonite as the E4's strongest Pokemon (blatant anachronism here)? The second half was an embarrassment too for the lack of challenge.

2) The highest leveled wild Pokemon in the game barring the level 70 legendary bird (whichever one you deal with) are those level 51 Golbats in Mt. Silver.

3) Kanto has been butchered! It isn't fun anymore :(

However, I will agree to this: this game has brought in a lot of innovations and changed a LOT of bugs and glitches from RBY. It may have been the first "playable" Pokemon game... although I did play RBY and found it playable enough for me. I don't know why... but GSC remains as one of my favorites, despite those shortcomings I have mentioned before.

I guess the levels shrunk because it was intended for kids to play and enjoy...

• 2 weeks later...

I started with the 3rd gen and I had little experience with the 2nd gen. One of my friends gave me his Gold version because he was bored with it. After playing the 3rd gen, I couldn't really appreciate it, so after finishing it, I felt like it wasn't worth the time spent.

I'm very excited for the revamp.

I started with the 1st gen and kept with it, but the second gen was by far the best because it just took a great game and pushed it over the top. All the new things just helped nothing was lost in the transition but much was gained.

I started with Crystal, so, of course I liked it.

The fact that you had 2 regions to run around in, side quests, and multiple other things to do just made it better.

I think Pokemon just got awkward in Gen 3... the design was weird to me. Same for most of Gen 4.

I don't really know, i was still a small child, i was like 5 years old when the 2nd generation games released, i think i was too little to really appreciate it, when i was a kid i hated turn based games, i would always ask myself, "why do we take turns" i just want to run over there, and smack it, but well Golden Sun changed my perspective, anywhom, all i remember from playing the 2nd gen games, are that my brother made me train his Pokemon, i remember what he would say: "Koline always use Gust and stay in this patch of grass tell when you you run out of PP" and yeah.

2nd generation was and still is the best games IMO. There was so much to do after beating the E4. The only downfall was the really low level pokemon in the E4. Red was extremely difficult to beat seeing as the strongest wild level pokemon was a level 51 Golbat and Lance was just pathetic, but there were so many new features that made it the best series.