Mew Glitch

Fallen

The infamous Mew glitch. Well, infamous for Nintendo. Anyways, were you able to perform the glitch? I didn't for a while, I hadn't heard about it until I already had one that I cloned.

How to obtain:

This glitch is actually pretty easy to do. Here are your requirements:

- Vermilion City Badge

- Some Great Balls

- Something with Fly

- Highly recommended: a level 10 Geodude from Mt. Moon

First of all, remember this. There is a Youngster in the route to Bill (after the Nugget Bridge) that has a Slowpoke. AVOID FIGHTING THIS TRAINER AT ALL COSTS! The reason this glitch works is because that Slowpoke has a Special value of 21... I'm not sure what that means, but it has something to do with Mew's programmed ID.

Also, there is a Gambler at Route 8 with two Poliwags and a Poliwhirl. Again, AVOID HIM AT ALL COSTS! Once you get to Celadon and go get Fly from the route to the west of it (use Cut to access that area), teach Fly to something like your Fearow or Pidgeotto or something. Since the Department Store is in Celadon, stock up on your Great Balls. Take out that Geodude you caught from Mt. Moon too.

Now remember that Gambler I mentioned before? Go through the Underground Path at Route 7 and exit out at Route 8... but STAY beside the door and save. Now, step down two (or three?) steps where the Gambler will notice you and have that (!) sign on him... but before he can do that... PUSH START and use your bird to Fly to Cerulean City. If you did this right, he will do that (!) thing and the music will cue but you safely fly away to Cerulean. Ha ha ha. Sucks for him :)

*Note: This works for several other trainers too, but this Gambler is the only one I know where this works*

You are at Cerulean and if you did this right, your menu should be disabled. So if you push the start button, don't freak out. It's supposed to happen. Now go up to the Nugget Bridge and remember that Youngster I was talking about before? Go up and fight him... but this is important, make sure he WALKS UP TO YOU when he challenges you. After you take down his Slowpoke, you'll realize your menu is available again. Put that level 10 Geodude I was talking about as your first in your roster and Fly to Lavendar Town.

Now head west to Route 8. All of a sudden the menu pops up [Try not to save here]. Push B and... what? You're in battle! And guess who comes out...

[sprite]151[/sprite]

Mew

Level 7

- Pound

Extended:

Here's a LOT of notes about the glitch:

- You only step down one step before the Gambler notices you. A much much easier way to push start is to press down, then while your person is taking the step, press and hold start.

- Mew's index number is 21, corresponding to that Youngster's Slowpoke's Special stat.

You can get any pokemon with this glitch by getting a pokemon yourself with the right special, and instead of battling the Youngster, fight any other trainer (you must fight a trainer), then battle a wild Ditto and make it transform into the pokemon with the right special. Now faint it and continue with the glitch. Unfortunately this trick can only be done as many times as there are trainers in the game. I think there was some trick involving a PC Box and the Elite Four to do this glitch unlimited times, but I can't remember it.

- The easiest trainer to fly away from for this glitch in the trainer in the grass west of Nugget Bridge. He's easy to avoid fighting, and he also happens to be the first possible trainer in the game to use this trick for (so you can do this glitch before the second badge). Abra's Teleport can be used instead of Fly.

- The first swimmer in Misty's Gym also has a pokemon with a Special of 21, so you can use that trainer too.

- Another trainer you can do the glitch with is the Lass with a Bellsprout on the first floor of Mt. Moon, generating a Lv7 Gyarados that knows Dragon Rage and Hydro Pump. This is useful for speedruns. However, to do this, you must have an Escape Rope and use that instead of Fly against the Rocket Grunt below the first ladder you see in Mt. Moon. Also, you need to get from the Lass on the first floor to the basement without encountering any wild pokemon. Without any Repels, this can be annoying and difficult.

- Another notable trainer is Misty herself, generating a Lv7 Missingno., the earliest possible Missingno encounter. You can get 127 Rare Candies and 127 Nuggets quite early this way.

- Make sure the trainer you're battling after flying away walks up to you. If you go right in front of him or talk to him to battle, the game will freeze for some reason. However, if you fight another trainer beforehand, the game won't freeze. You must do this to do the glitch with Misty.

- Never return to the area where you flew/teleported/dug/escape-roped away from the trainer. This may cause strange unfixable glitches on the game. Just don't do it.

- The encountered pokemon, usually Level 7, is based on the attack modifier of the pokemon with the right Special. Using Growl on the pokemon with the right Special lowers the level of the encountered pokemon by one. Using six Growls gets the encountered pokemon to Level 1. Certain Pokemon with a specific experience formula, Mew being one of them, have a glitch that causes them to have negative EXP at Level 1, which the game reads as over 16 million EXP. If a Lv1 Mew gains less than 50 EXP from a battle, the EXP remains negative, becomes calculated as over 16 million, and it jumps to Level 100. (If Mew gains more than 50 EXP, the EXP will no longer be negative, and it will go normally to Level 2.)

- Never deposit a Pokemon with "negative" EXP. This includes Lv0 ##'M## encountered through the Old Man Glitch. When trying to withdraw it, the game gets "confused" when trying to calculate out 16 million EXP as mentioned, and will freeze, making it stuck in the PC forever.

Edited by Fallen

I remember this, yeah I figured this out when Pearl had come out, I was bored and whent on youtube, looked up some Blue gliches and found the mew one, did it and had a real mew, although my data got erased again, just go on youtube and put in Blue Mew Glitch.

This glitch is actually pretty easy to do. Here are your requirements:

- Vermilion City Badge

- Some Great Balls

- Something with Fly

- Highly recommended: a level 10 Geodude from Mt. Moon

First of all, remember this. There is a Youngster in the route to Bill (after the Nugget Bridge) that has a Slowpoke. AVOID FIGHTING THIS TRAINER AT ALL COSTS! The reason this glitch works is because that Slowpoke has a Special value of 21... I'm not sure what that means, but it has something to do with Mew's programmed ID.

Also, there is a Gambler at Route 8 with two Poliwags and a Poliwhirl. Again, AVOID HIM AT ALL COSTS! Once you get to Celadon and go get Fly from the route to the west of it (use Cut to access that area), teach Fly to something like your Fearow or Pidgeotto or something. Since the Department Store is in Celadon, stock up on your Great Balls. Take out that Geodude you caught from Mt. Moon too.

Now remember that Gambler I mentioned before? Go through the Underground Path at Route 7 and exit out at Route 8... but STAY beside the door and save. Now, step down two (or three?) steps where the Gambler will notice you and have that (!) sign on him... but before he can do that... PUSH START and use your bird to Fly to Cerulean City. If you did this right, he will do that (!) thing and the music will cue but you safely fly away to Cerulean. Ha ha ha. Sucks for him :)

*Note: This works for several other trainers too, but this Gambler is the only one I know where this works*

You are at Cerulean and if you did this right, your menu should be disabled. So if you push the start button, don't freak out. It's supposed to happen. Now go up to the Nugget Bridge and remember that Youngster I was talking about before? Go up and fight him... but this is important, make sure he WALKS UP TO YOU when he challenges you. After you take down his Slowpoke, you'll realize your menu is available again. Put that level 10 Geodude I was talking about as your first in your roster and Fly to Lavendar Town.

Now head west to Route 8. All of a sudden the menu pops up [Try not to save here]. Push B and... what? You're in battle! And guess who comes out...

[sprite]151[/sprite]

Mew

Level 7

- Pound

Yeah, a level 7 Mew with only Pound. That's why I said to use that Geodude. Anyways, try not to kill Mew and weaken her enough to catch her with a Great Ball or something. It only took one try for me. If you don't succeed, restart and do the same thing from that Gambler step over again... unless you saved before entering that battle with Mew. If the latter is your circumstance and you messed up, then sorry, I cannot help you :(

Edited by Fallen

Here's a LOT of notes about the glitch:

- You only step down one step before the Gambler notices you. A much much easier way to push start is to press down, then while your person is taking the step, press and hold start.

- Mew's index number is 21, corresponding to that Youngster's Slowpoke's Special stat.

You can get any pokemon with this glitch by getting a pokemon yourself with the right special, and instead of battling the Youngster, fight any other trainer (you must fight a trainer), then battle a wild Ditto and make it transform into the pokemon with the right special. Now faint it and continue with the glitch. Unfortunately this trick can only be done as many times as there are trainers in the game. I think there was some trick involving a PC Box and the Elite Four to do this glitch unlimited times, but I can't remember it.

- The easiest trainer to fly away from for this glitch in the trainer in the grass west of Nugget Bridge. He's easy to avoid fighting, and he also happens to be the first possible trainer in the game to use this trick for (so you can do this glitch before the second badge). Abra's Teleport can be used instead of Fly.

- The first swimmer in Misty's Gym also has a pokemon with a Special of 21, so you can use that trainer too.

- Another trainer you can do the glitch with is the Lass with a Bellsprout on the first floor of Mt. Moon, generating a Lv7 Gyarados that knows Dragon Rage and Hydro Pump. This is useful for speedruns. However, to do this, you must have an Escape Rope and use that instead of Fly against the Rocket Grunt below the first ladder you see in Mt. Moon. Also, you need to get from the Lass on the first floor to the basement without encountering any wild pokemon. Without any Repels, this can be annoying and difficult.

- Another notable trainer is Misty herself, generating a Lv7 Missingno., the earliest possible Missingno encounter. You can get 127 Rare Candies and 127 Nuggets quite early this way.

- Make sure the trainer you're battling after flying away walks up to you. If you go right in front of him or talk to him to battle, the game will freeze for some reason. However, if you fight another trainer beforehand, the game won't freeze. You must do this to do the glitch with Misty.

- Never return to the area where you flew/teleported/dug/escape-roped away from the trainer. This may cause strange unfixable glitches on the game. Just don't do it.

- The encountered pokemon, usually Level 7, is based on the attack modifier of the pokemon with the right Special. Using Growl on the pokemon with the right Special lowers the level of the encountered pokemon by one. Using six Growls gets the encountered pokemon to Level 1. Certain Pokemon with a specific experience formula, Mew being one of them, have a glitch that causes them to have negative EXP at Level 1, which the game reads as over 16 million EXP. If a Lv1 Mew gains less than 50 EXP from a battle, the EXP remains negative, becomes calculated as over 16 million, and it jumps to Level 100. (If Mew gains more than 50 EXP, the EXP will no longer be negative, and it will go normally to Level 2.)

- Never deposit a Pokemon with "negative" EXP. This includes Lv0 ##'M## encountered through the Old Man Glitch. When trying to withdraw it, the game gets "confused" when trying to calculate out 16 million EXP as mentioned, and will freeze, making it stuck in the PC forever.

(That was a very long post... O_o)

Edited by Fallen

I've got a bit of a moral question here. Would Pokemon obtained by glitchy means such as this be considered legit? (Not "legal", legit)

It's technically not possible to obtain them within the course of the game as intended, but I was always kinda of the opinion that taking advantage of a programming error is legit because you are still within the limits of the game itself and not introducing any external devices.

I cloned guilt-free because of this numerous times in RBY. But.. I can see why someone would argue that it's not legit.

Also, with the classic Missingno. trick, I was able to get Rapidash and Articuno with "infinite" HP that stretched across the whole screen and back (however, one hit would make their bar go down many times over). Is the cause of this similar to the "negative EXP" Mew?

Morals depend on the person in question. By definition it's legit, but some people might not think that way.

And the "infinite" HP glitch isn't the negative EXP glitch, it's just a stat calculation glitch (since pokemon aren't supposed to be over Lv100).

Morals depend on the person in question. By definition it's legit, but some people might not think that way.

And the "infinite" HP glitch isn't the negative EXP glitch, it's just a stat calculation glitch (since pokemon aren't supposed to be over Lv100).

Um, no. Morals are absolute (objective, not subjective). Relativism is self-refuting. It doesn't matter whether you think it's right or wrong... something is either right or wrong without your input. As for the glitchy thing... it's been legally obtained without a cheat code, so I don't see why not. You'll screw someone else's game and your game possibly, but that's the price for using glitches.

However, we're going off topic here... and how is it possible to get infinite HP? I've seen HP bars exploding before, but I don't know anything else about it.

Erm.. the negative EXP is also a "stat calculation glitch" (since Mew isn't supposed to be lv 1), so I guess they really are similar. I'm curious exactly what the cause is, though. Also, the fact that one hit makes the bar go down so much is interesting.

As for the invisible PC, hahaha, I almost forgot about that. It was awesome. Remember surfing through the Elite 4 statues? And getting on the roof of the Cinnabar gym? Ahh.. I loved old Pokemon glitches.

I remember doing that Mew glitch.

but instead of going for Mew, I went another path and got some other pokemon.

Anyone remember that secret PC in uh...

I think Celadon city?

You mean that Hotel in Celadon City? I was so freaked out when I just pushed A in that corner and a Phantom PC was there! :D

Man, that was fun to look through. Memories :D (I misremembered a bit about the Cinnabar gym roof though, you don't actually get to be up there, you just see a guy up there)

I vaguely remember one thing that I couldn't find any info about on that site. Wasn't there some way you could have a wild battle with Professor Oak? Something with him at least, I remember thinking it was hilarious. I have a feeling it had to do with the Elite 4, but may have been Missingno., or something totally different. Hmm. Anyone remember this?

I did the same thing in FR/LG... and there was a truck there o_O

But it had a Lava Cookie or something... no Mew :(

Yes, Nintendo purposely put it there this time as an easter egg.

And yes, there is a Lava Cookie there, presumably as another easter egg.

i tried many different methods of catching the delivery truck mew, it was clearly just a lie that got out of hand, but the other method of catching him definatly works because ive done it loads of times, the only sort of tricky bit is flying off before that guy notices you, just save before it.

• 3 months later...

I always loved glitching up R/B/Y I own red and yellow, but not blue. I have been trying to get blue, but still, Red and Yellow work great. Red actually has MANY problems, one, if i try to talk to my mom in pallet town to heal my pokemon, instead of the pokemon healing tune, it starts playing the cave music and doesn't stop. Yellow hs no problems. I have to be really careful playing red though. So i guess i'm still looking for blue and now i new red. Still, this is absolutley my favorite glitch.