1. 1. Which Starter

• Bulbasaur
    • Charmander
    • Squirtle

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blastoise was awesome... but too bad his stats were unimpressive. In fact, he's the worst of the RBY starters, but I still like him so I picked him.

Fun fact: Charizard and Blastoise had a special of 85... meaning they got screwed in that generation. Venusaur had a special of 100, but being part Poison meant BAD for him :P

I got Yellow, and thus Pikachu. Though if I had a choice it would be charmander.

I remember playing it for the first time and not knowing how to evolve my beloved Nidorino so I just leveled it up. I wanted a Nidoking for the E4 so I continued to level it until around level 80 when I asked how the heck the friggen thing evolved.

Moon Stone....

That day a level 80 Nidoking who knew Surf, Double Kick, Horn Drill, and Earthquake raped the E4 like it was NOTHING.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spr_1b_004.png

Old school charmander ftw x3 R/B was the only other generations besides G/S that I loved all the starters. I have both versions so my red was my "good" save which I started with charmander and my blue I often restarted with either Bulbasaur or Squirtle. Ahh the memories. Charmander is still my favorite starter of all time.

[sprite]007[/sprite]

Surf to take down Charizard and Ice beam/Blizzard to take down venusaur. The best of both worlds. Plus, he's Bond, in Pokemon form. (quote me if you're not getting the reference, maybe that'll help a bit)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Surprisingly, I do not see much 'Bulbasaur' answers (not that it matters...). But I always picked Bulbasaur in my Pokémon Red game. It was basically the best Pokémon to pick when you want a quick playthrough until the fifth Gym. Brock and Misty were simple because you could hit them super effective (uhm, I mean their Pokémon xD), you resisted electric attacks from the Pokémon of Lt. Surge and you could use simple 'Cut' fights with the Pokémon of Erika, because they endlessly used Poisonpowder on you! :P I suppose that you had not any value for the 'intelligence' of the trainers back then. ^^ Mostly I also caught Nidoking, so you could handle Koga and then Missingno. was the objective. With other Pokémon games, I always varied my choice of starters, but with Pokémon Red... No, it had to be Bulbasaur. :)

• 1 month later...

I always pick Squirtle because I feel like Blastoise is going to be the best and I should always train him. Now that these used Pokemon games are becoming so expensive I like to make sure when I buy one it has a different one leveled up in the save file. This way I can switch back and forth and always play more than one so I don't have to choose! :)