A More General Musician's Thread.

Bassman

It takes a hell of a long time for sure. It must have took us 8 hours for just the one track :o.

Took about an hour just deciding which track to record xD. And, the guitar was still out of time even with the guys best efforts of bringing it all in time. However, Next time I record I think I'm going to bring a click track or metronome of some sort to record with .. for just that reason lol.

We started out (of course... now I have remembered) with drums, bass and piano as the initial tracks when we did the Jazz recording. The Sax, Clarinet and Lead Guitar were added inidividually after the three of us had finished. 5 hours or so total to record 2 tracks so it wasn't too bad. It was at a friend's studio so I think we probably got more that we paid for.

My first recoding was a "studio" which turned out to be pretty much someone's front room! Nothing very sophisticated then, just a reel to reel tape recorder I think. I was along to provide some bass. Never did get to hear the finished product.

I think the worst bit of recording was on the album that eventually appeared on CD a few years ago that I bought online. I had to do the bass bit as an initial track with nothing at all to follow at the start of the song which was a bit difficult. I knew the song well enough (I wrote the music) but having nothing to follow until after the first verse was a pain.

Ours wasn't in exactly a great place to be honest. It was a studio of sorts, but I think the dude lived in there :P.

Our process of recording was a all live to set the base, drums + bass, Ryhthm, lead then an improved overdub, vocal, vocal, screams (ergh :/ The bassist decided he wanted to get in on some of the screaming so we had some God awful guttural growl going through out :/). That was a pretty easy way of doing it. I imagine it would have turned out a lot worse if I had nothing to follow when doing the lead parts... Fair play to you dude :P.

I was wondering, what type of bassist are you? Are you heavily slap/pop in style or do you prefer to hit a fluid melody? I suppose they can be one in the same. But do you go for subtleties over extravagance I guess lol.

The majority of my playing now is in a church music group (only bassist unfortunately though I am trying to persuade a guitarist who plays lead to have a try sometime).

If the song lends itselt to it I do the melodic approach. Normally fairly straightforward but occasionally I get a little more adventurous. If the song is more rhythmic I will tie in more with the drummer.

I can read music but with the bass I never use music (other than once way back when). With the stuff I mostly play now, as it is a church band there are probably hundreds of songs I need to play from memory, Even with a new song I pick it up as I go and in a lot of cases (who says music is not predictable) I can play a bassline to a song I have never heard before. OK, it may get expanded on a little subsequently...

I would not attempt slap on my Yamaha as the thing cost a grand (less a pound) second hand 14 years ago.

I would class myself as a 6 string bassist as I do tend to use all 6 strings (though again this is dependent on the song

• 7 months later...
I may not play anything on the topic of pop or rock (I play clarinet in my school band),...

That is what I want to hear! The clarinet is simply a beautiful instrument. :)

I feel out of place: I play the oboe.

You do not have to feel out of place anymore, I play the clarinet, the cello and the piano! ^^ However, I like pop and rock/metal bands very much, but I only have played 'classical' works with all my instruments. Besides that, I am a very bad performer, so I am studying mostly for myself. For me, that is more fun than to be on stage. ;)

There is a lot to be said for just playing for your own enjoyment. I would class my normal guitar (and limited) keyboard playing in that category, not that I get around to doing so very much, I can always find other things to distract me!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I"ve played a bit. I have a 78 Fender P bass that I got in 79, my main instrument is an 86 Gibson SG. It's a 62 reissue that's pretty nice, I usually run it through a twin reverb. When I want effects I use the Roland GR-1 guitar synth and my Digitech 2101 effects. It's a pretty versatile setup and a lot of fun to play with. My acoustic is a 65 Gibson that's got a lovely tone. I like a lot of types of music but lately I play either blues or some weird trance thing with this synth player I know.