New and improved BTX Editor 2.0

http://www.mediafire.com/file/49nycebcfywyh2y/BTXE

old post

Spoiler

*If you downloaded this befor 7/2/2010 3:39 PM EST please download again to fix a bug.*

I just created a program to allow users to easily edit the btx files used for the overworld sprites.

Please report and problems or suggestions you have.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3706406/Files/BTX%20Editor.rar

How to use:

Extract the btx files from the narc file. (/a/0/8/1 for HG/SS) (Can anyone tell me the file for D/P/Pt?)

Open the Program.

Click the Open .btx button and select a btx file, if it a supported file (almost all the different trainer sprites) it will then be displayed.

You can save it as a PNG file, edit it, and open the edited image, or just open a premade sprite sheet in the proper format. (32 by 32x, where x is the number of frames)

Once a new image has been loaded into the program, you just click the Save .btx as... button to save the file.(At this time you can not overwrite the currently loaded file)

Replace the new .btx file with the one you want to edit and repack the narc file.

IMPORTANT:

MAX OF 16 COLORS.

Edited by KazoWAR
New version

• 1 month later...

Sorry to intrude, but after searching for ways to edit the sprites for the main trainer on HG/SS, and stumbling upon this, I downloaded the tools and followed the advice posted, and neither worked. I was given an error message when trying to load what KazoWar posted, and also followed the advice of DDD, but DDD's advice did not work, as well, since I can't seem to get the .btx to extract from 1.narc. Is there any other advice that I could possibly be given?

Sorry to intrude, but after searching for ways to edit the sprites for the main trainer on HG/SS, and stumbling upon this, I downloaded the tools and followed the advice posted, and neither worked. I was given an error message when trying to load what KazoWar posted, and also followed the advice of DDD, but DDD's advice did not work, as well, since I can't seem to get the .btx to extract from 1.narc. Is there any other advice that I could possibly be given?

Kiwi is an awesome Editor I'm thinking you didn't go through the whole process. What you should've done is something along the lines of:

1) Open NDS file in editor.exe which should add it to the window inside of the editor

2) Double click the NDS inside of editor.exe to browse through it and put a check next to anything you want to extract (In this case /a/0/8/1)

3) Find the file you just extracted from /a/0/8/1 and drag and drop it into editor.exe you'll now see it under the NDS file from earlier (Filename: 1 / Type: Nintendo Archive)

4) Double click the new file(1) and just like with the NDS file you'll see all the files inside of /a/0/8/1 check all the ones you want to extract and go from there

Thank you kindly for the advice. It seems I was lacking in steps 3-4, since I was using different tool to try and decompress the .narc, but now I do not need to do such a thing, now that I can somewhat figure out Kiwi a bit more. I'm going to guess that re-packing the .narc should be a piece of cake if I just set the destination folder to where I extracted the .btx, correct?

I really appreciate you giving me the information. It came in handy, since I was doing some sprites of custom Gym Leaders for a Pokemon fangame a friend and I were working on, and I figured I'd hack my ROM copy of Soul Silver so that I can play as someone that I created. Thanks again for the help.

EDIT: Alright, I hate to keep asking for advice. I have successfully created the .narc file. How do I replace the existing one that is in the A/0/8 folder? Do I use an external program other than Kiwi, or do you have any suggestions?

EDIT: Ignore that, I figured out how to do that, haha.

I will say the easiest way would be to extract the whole NDS file and then replace the existing A/0/8 with the ones you edited and repacked then go back to kiwi then go to tools > make nds rom and point at the folder you just unpacked (ex Pokemon HeartGold) the rest of the window should be populated automatically if you selected the right folder and then it will compile a new .nds file with changes you've made all that would be left is for you to test it and see how you like it

I've discovered that it's much quicker to use NitroExplorer to simply replace the file and you're done, makes things much faster. Right now, I made a quick sample, and it worked, although had transparent hair. I went to tweak the color palette in Photoshop, and ended up freezing the game when I tested it next. Sometimes, I just think electronics hate me, haha.

I've discovered that it's much quicker to use NitroExplorer to simply replace the file and you're done, makes things much faster. Right now, I made a quick sample, and it worked, although had transparent hair. I went to tweak the color palette in Photoshop, and ended up freezing the game when I tested it next. Sometimes, I just think electronics hate me, haha.

Nice! I haven't used Nitro in a while but that's good to know. haha now all that's left is trial and error... anyways good luck!

• 7 months later...

CrystalTile2 can decompress and compress files correctly.

THANK YOU KAZO, this is going to save so much time, wow... I had a massive HGSS hack started that I kind of gave up on when it came to the overworld sprites due to all the work involved (I don't have much time to devote to hacking). Thanks a ton, man.

• 9 months later...

Hi guys!

I've a problem with BTX.

Even when I put an edited .narc file on my rom (and I've erased the .narc mention when I put it on PPRE), the sprite appears as a TV snow when walking to the left or downwards.

I've made an attempt by using sprites of the game, and the problem is still the same.

Here is a picture which shows what happens.

rienf.jpg

So, if somebody knows why this is happening!