VS Recorder backup creator and VS Recorder PKM extraction Program

NulMyre

After starting since I made the ShinyViaSID Program, I've been working on getting the Vs Recorder data cracked (Early April-ish...) Thanks to KazoWar for confirming my theory of replays containing PKMs.

I just finished the cracking part at 2 AM today, and I have a presentable program for placing the recorded fights into individual files which I placed the extension: .vrd (Vs Recorder Data). Pick a .sav file and it should take out all 4 of you videos, named accordingly to placement. Now extracts PKMs using a GUI.

Because of B/W progress, there should be little issue with this program. It only works for Platinum's SAV checkpoints.

Pokesav and the like already have the "stealing" idea, especially for event Pokemon. If you are going to have consent issues, don't use it. As much as I don't condone stealing, it is going to happen because in the research world, it does.

I attached a .sav I use so anyone can test if they so want to.

Plans for .vrd backup program:

-Simple backup/upload of .vrd files - regardless of slot/.sav

-Details of .vrd file loaded mimicking in-game Vs. Recorder details

Uses implemented:

-Extract Vs Recorder files, automatically extracts all occupied slots and names accordingly. Files written in the .sav directory.

-Extract PKMs from VRD files via GUI. Files written in the .jar directory.

-v1.0a

Fixed bug: Check sum issue on PKM rip, now adds the CS to itself during each iteration instead of overwriting itself every time.

-v1.0

Backed VRDs if occupied (no GUI), ripped PKMs via GUI (individually)

Additional version using arithmetic function as opposed to bit-wise under suspected issue.

-v0.6

PKM ripping removed, backed VRDs via GUI.

-v0.5b

Initial release, backed VRDs, ripped first PKM of host party.

VRD-PKM (v1.0a).zip

VRD-PKM (v1.0a).zip

Edited by NulMyre

I like the video extraction part, but I don't like the .pkm extraction that much.

I mean, someone could just get his Pokémon cloned without his consent.

Ok, I'll update next with a backup/upload for .vrd files, and the current .vrd files are still encrypted, and it'll be best to leave it that way. I'll take my current file down for now to prevent stolen PKMs in this moment of time.

I'll update with an option box for upload/backup, and do an open box to a save box. Eventually I'll make a simple GUI that tells what the replay is like the in-game Vs. Recorder.

The small problem is the large amount of implementation, I'd have to check for the video being yours, being a native video, and other small things. Although, if I get this program the way I want, it would end up bypassing every check except owner's name, but you can change yours in the .sav and thus extract the .pkm files. So, until I finish or come close, I won't put the .pkm extraction back up and it'll be up for debate.

I also noted that this was intended for Platinum, no guarantee on HGSS, and that would come after GUI. You can grab replays from Wifi from HGSS to Platinum.

Small update, .vrd files placement is actually very secure after tinkering for another 6 hours. I'll upload a working program in a moment.

The Structure goes: (and there are buffers in between some blocks)

Opening buffer, some throw off bytes to prevent guess and checks.

Both Trainer's Names (or all four in mutli battles)

Trainer's eye's commands

Trainer's eye's opponent's commands

Trainer's eye's battle necessary PKMs

Trainer's eye's opponent's battle necessary PKMs

Owner of video's name

End buffer.

That's how the main block lays out, how the battle's choices are recorded are in words, like in a single battle, say my first move is (01 01), that's attack, first attack option on the current Pokemon, then say my next is (01 03), attack - 3rd attack on list on the current Pokemon. Hmm, inside program-esque question... Only for you codemonkey85. Textual very likely, graphical is possible but will be more time consuming than PPSE.

Now, given that we have that, it's all just choices, no calculations are inside because the .vrd has a "Start Battle Seed" for the RNG and reenact the battle. If we want to know calculations, we have to know how the RNG handles every element in battle, so we know where it is at a given point.

I just thought of another goal for this after the legal check goal, a "Make .vrd". Although I would have to say that the PKM extraction would have to be OK'ed by general public, otherwise manipulating a scratch made .vrd file would produce said program by another. Ugg, we'll cross that river when we get to it.

I like the video extraction part, but I don't like the .pkm extraction that much.

I mean, someone could just get his Pokémon cloned without his consent.

You can do the same thing if you have Pokesav and watch Kazo's videos. Plus, this is the best way to determine if your opponent is a hacker using illegal stats (which would have been extremely helpful to me last night).

Plus, this is the best way to determine if your opponent is a hacker using illegal stats (which would have been extremely helpful to me last night).

If the opponent used illegal stats, the Battle Video will not be able to be uploaded at the Global Terminal.

You don't need a .pkm of your opponent's team...

If the opponent used illegal stats, the Battle Video will not be able to be uploaded at the Global Terminal.

You don't need a .pkm of your opponent's team...

I have hardly used battle videos at all so I may be wrong, but why do you need to upload it to the GTC? If you can make the video it will be in your VS Recorder and this program can get the PKMs from the save, hacks or not.

I just tested against the GTS with a few replays holding my Latios edited in various ways with something at would be advantageous in battle:

Edited final stats (SpA at 255 at Lv 50 - Original is 162)

Illegal Ability (Wonder Guard)

Illegal Move (Sheer Cold)

EV cap (Additional 255 EVs in ATT)

Illegal PID/IV combo (Random generation and checked against the equated generations)

Only the last one, the PID/IV combo got through, the rest said on uploading that there was "something wrong" with the Pokemon, not the replay itself.

I made the replays in frontier, Battle Hall I believe. (go in with one Pokemon, fight by types)

At this point, reading the PKMs inside the replay would just be for extraction and ID'ing the Pokemon used for the GUI part planned for the program. I'm planning on putting in the extraction, but later when GUI is up so you don't just have 12 PKMs spat at you when you just want one. It would be done anyway, me or not, and with 5th Gen on it's way already, I'd say it is a little late in the game to complain about this.

When I do get back to this in a couple days, I'll look at trying to force slots so that the position restrictions can be eliminated.

Hi, just donwloaded and I have a couple of questions:

-The program is asking for pkmn files, it should ask for a .sav file, right?

-The .sav file size should be 1 mb or 512 kb?

-Would you make the .vrd files to be able to used in any save file? (I want to backup my videos, so everyone can watch them)

Also, thank you for the program ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Please... put PKM extraction again... Some of you told the creator to delete this function... but why? That's such a stupid idea... What bad things you can do with that? Steal pokemon sets from other persons? OMG... that have no sense... It is well-known to competitive battlers that every single set you can see have been developed from smogon or it's a little modification from a smogon set... so, If you have a pokemon and make the first move, I'll be sure what's the set you are using =) So... why I want the pkm extraction function? Just for curiosity. I want to get the pokemon of the leaders of the battle frontier and see who's the trainer, the trainer OT, if they put EV's... if I can, I would be nearer to see if they are currently using sets from smogon or they have their own sets.. This can sound such a stupid idea but... Just i like it. It would be nice also to learn strategy. If somebody steals my team (that as I've said, it does not matter cause it has been done with somogon sets) he would see what strategy I were using and he is going to be able to learn more... Anyway the coder is who decides what he wants to use, but I thing that it is more dangerous the knife you have in your kitchen that the banned pkm extraction... Thanks in advance

I will get it back, I'm working on a GUI for that reason, but life has caught up to me and I've been very busy.

I should have much progress if not done by the end of August. I really don't feel like putting up the first one I made again, it was one of those "Holy Crap!" moments and it's actually horrible.

Don't expect anything over the weekend, I'm actually not going to be able to touch my computer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its going nowhere, eviction sucks, it sucks out time I don't really even have in the first place.

This program has an ETA of "When have a real amount of free time available and I can grab my programming computer out of storage."

I'll find the old one and put it back in a couple of days when I get back to a computer with my drive.

It doesn't matter whether or not the "general public" welcomes this tool, eventually someone WILL make a PKM extraction tool. I might even give it a try myself depending on how beefed up the encryption is.

Think of Pokesav itself, THAT certainty wasn't welcomed by the majority of the public. But, someone came around to it, and now there are half a dozen clones of it on the internet.

Let me put it this way:

If you have knowledge of how to do something and you choose NOT to share it, then other people will spend their time re-researching it and reinventing the wheel, and it will take away from the time that could have been spent researching something new.

I have hardly used battle videos at all so I may be wrong, but why do you need to upload it to the GTC? If you can make the video it will be in your VS Recorder and this program can get the PKMs from the save, hacks or not.

He said he wanted to know if his opponent used illegal stats.

He can simply try to upload the video on the GTC, if it goes through then it has legal stats.

It is well-known to competitive battlers that every single set you can see have been developed from smogon or it's a little modification from a smogon set..

Just for curiosity. I want to get the pokemon of the leaders of the battle frontier and see who's the trainer, the trainer OT, if they put EV's... if I can, I would be nearer to see if they are currently using sets from smogon or they have their own sets.

The GTC is not reserved to competitive battlers.

Just look at battle videos on the GTC.

Game Freak doesn't even care about Smogon.

If there was Smogon sets on there, it would be pure coincidence (Or Smogon mimicked the BF brains.)

It doesn't matter whether or not the "general public" welcomes this tool, eventually someone WILL make a PKM extraction tool. I might even give it a try myself depending on how beefed up the encryption is.

Think of Pokesav itself, THAT certainty wasn't welcomed by the majority of the public. But, someone came around to it, and now there are half a dozen clones of it on the internet.

Pokesav doesn't get your Pokémon cloned without your consent.

• 1 month later...

just tried it out with a platinum save and grabbed the last battle video i saved, and i got trashed pkms. moves with 150pp, more experience than is possible in-game, wrong tid/sid, etc. i then tried it with the save you included and got the same thing. could i be doing something wrong? i double click the jar and open the sav and double click the jar again and open the vrd. opening the vrd gives me the option to save pokemon, but they end up trashed as i said. it looks like maybe the app is starting to read from the wrong offset or something like that.

Ouch, I can't do 64 bit, and I know now it is the decryption that's messing up. 64-bit utilizes a different bit count for variables, and I'm using a bit-wise command for decryption.

I'll see if I can get it going without the said command.