Making Legal Shinies

First off, I am new so sorry if this specific question has been asked before, I searched and there were no current threads that were giving me the advice I needed.

Anyway, I have been trying to make a shiny Onix in my Soul Silver game with the intention of trading it over to my Diamond version and back because I would like my SS trainer to be it's OT and would like it to evolve into Steelix so I can obtain the PokeDex entry for it.

When making the .pkm file in PokeSav, I did it in the following order:

1. Set Pokemon to Onix, original name, own OT

2. Set held item to Metal Coat

3. Set ability to Sturdy

4. Set own Trainer ID and Secret ID

5. Set level to 43 EXP follows automatically

6. Set happiness to 100

7. Set ball to Heavy Ball

8. Obtained PID value using PID-IV Generator

9. Set IVs to those corresponding to the PID from the PID-IV generator

10. Set EVs, one of which is 255, and the total of all six is 510

11. Set met at level to 6

12. Set place to 3002 (Farawayplace) and input D2 (Union Cave) into the Hidden Hex Values, slot 46h

13. Set Hidden Hex value slot 45h to 05, as I was told this should be put there if the Pokemon was caught in a cave

14. Set Met Date to 6/26/2010 (a few days ago)

15. Set Hometown value to 8 (Johto - Soul Silver) and Language to ENG

16. Selected moveset (Dragon Pulse - 10 PP / Earth Power - 10 PP / Flash Cannon - 10 PP / Hyper Beam - 5 PP)

17. Left Contest Stats, Contest Ranks, Markings, fields pertaining to Eggs, Forms, Fateful Encounter, and all other Hidden Hex Value slot blank/untouched

18. Finally, pushed the Stats Edit button and set them to All Max with no Status Conditions

I then save this .pkm file and run it through the Trash Byte Normalizer, then the Legality Checker. The Type comes out to "Common NDS <A-B-C-D>".

Anyway, then I export the ARDS Code, open the file, and copy and paste the code corresponding to Soul Silver into the Action Replay. Everything looks great once I activate the code, however when I initiate the trade Diamond version says it is connecting to initiate the trade (where it then freezes) while Soul Silver gives the following error message:

"A communication error has occurred. If you were in the Union Room, pressing the A Button will launch DS Wireless Communications to take you back to the Union Room. If you press the B Button, you will be taken to the title screen. In all other cases, pressing the A Button will return you to where you last saved."

I would include a screenshot of the PokeSav Pokemon Edit screen but I don't really know where I can post this online to link it to this thread.

I assume this means that the Onix I made is actually not legal. I am wondering, other than making it have hatched from an egg, how can I fix this? Anyway, thanks ahead of time for your help, and I apologize again if this has been addressed before.

I edited 45h and 46h. The rest I left 00. I read somewhere that 47h should be 00 but I have no idea what to do with the rest of them, some instruction on that would be great. I would try PokeGen but the only download I've been able to find was a .rar file and I don't have (or want to download for that matter) anything for those right now.

45h doesn't need to be messed with (44h and 45h are for eggs), what you said goes there should go in 85h... which relates to the location captured, so yeah, 05 in there.

It also needs to be in a Pokeball... HG/SS balls are in Pokeballs, the 86h is for telling the game what ball to turn it into, in this case, Heavy is 14.

And that's all I can think of regarding legality. If you post the file we can take a closer look at it.

But for the communication error thing, it wouldn't freeze up even if had a terribly hacked Pokemon with you, I know, I've done it before. Maybe if you're doing it with the AR plugged in, you might want to try to do it without... but that's never happened to me.

Hacked Pokemon have nothing to do with it, really.

Ohh okay so basically, if I want it in a Heavy Ball I should set it to a Pokeball and put 14 in 86h? Got it. But yeah the whole thing with my connection freezing up is strange, while reading up on this I realized that whether or not the Pokemon is legit probably isn't the problem. This is getting really frustrating though, it seems if I do so much as try to just look at the shiny Onix (without even pressing A on it) with the Diamond version (the Onix is on Soul Silver) the Diamond version freezes up and the connection gets interrupted. With that being said this also only happens in trades involving the Onix.

Anyway, I would be glad to post the file, but I'm really not sure how to go about doing that. Like I said, I'm new to the forum and I see how to post images that are already on the internet, but I'm not sure of how to post them from the computer. I'll google that and see if I can't post one in the next 15 minutes. Maybe I can find somewhere to host my image for free.

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I just tried trading again after making the adjustments to the Poke Ball and the Hex Values and it worked this time. No freezing or anything. Its weird though... I guess I can only trade if the Pokemon is perfectly legit. Thats a good thing though.

Anyway, thanks again guys!

• 1 month later...
Diamond version says it is connecting to initiate the trade (where it then freezes)

I think that the only reason why Diamond was freezing up was because it could not read the "Heavy Ball" data in the Poké Ball drop-down menu. If you are trading between games using the Union Room, the games do not check for legality (at least that's what I think; I have been successful in trading illegal pokemon between games using the Union Room).

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I just tried trading again after making the adjustments to the Poke Ball and the Hex Values and it worked this time. No freezing or anything. Its weird though... I guess I can only trade if the Pokemon is perfectly legit. Thats a good thing though.

Anyway, thanks again guys!

I just wanna add something, you can always trade hacked pokemon through the Union Room. No need to worry about error because of hacks, etc.

The only problem is the hex values, there are some values that SS needs but Diamond doesn't.

Make sure you fill the 46h, 47h, 85h, and 86h if you're making a pokemon for HGSS! :D

Anyway, I strongly recommend you to use PokeGen, you can easily create a pokemon without having to edit the hex values... And you don't need to put Faraway Place as Met in Place. :D