Please Rate My Battle Tower Team

First of all, I apologize for my English. I am not a native speaker, kindly bear with me :creep:

I am really new into this game. Currently, I am still playing Pearl, (I have a Platinum already but not playing yet..). Below is the current Team I am using at the BATTLE TOWER. Please, I need your professional opinion and advice.

Metagross @ Occa Berry

Nature: Adamant

Ability: Clear Body

EVs: 252 HP / 236 Atk / 12 Def / 8 Spe

Role: Lead

- Stealth Rock

- Bullet Punch

- Earthquake

- Meteor Mash

Comment: A Smogon-based metagross lead, with my own version of moveset, keeping Meteor Mash & Bullet Punch for STAB.

Empoleon @ Leftovers

Nature: Modest

Ability: Torrent

EVs: my original starter, decided not to EV-train him to see how far he will get :D

Role: Special Sweeper

- Hail

- Blizzard

- Surf

- Earthquake

Comment: Hail for Blizzard's accuracy, leftovers for the effect of Hail, Earthquake for coverage.

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry

Nature: Jolly

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Role: Offensive (sweeper)

- Waterfall

- Thunderbolt

- Fire Blast

- Dragon Dance

Comment: Wacan Berry to weaken electric attacks, Thunderbolt and Fire Blast for coverage.

Note: Currently, my team is at a 35 winning game streak. I wonder how far will it go? Your feed back is truly appreciated.

Metagross @ Choice Band

Ability: Clear Body

EVs: 252 HP / 236 Atk / 12 Def / 8 Spe

Role: Lead

- Thunder Punch/Explosion

- Bullet Punch

- Earthquake

- Meteor Mash

Poorly designed. Stealth Rock/Spikes/Toxic Spikes are useless in the Battle Tower unless you're Roaring the AI away.

Slap on a Choice Band to take advantage of Metagross' pure power. Ideally, a Battle Tower team should be able to cover one Poke's weaknesses with the two other's either having a resitance or immunity. So if you see a fire or ground move coming, get out of dodge.

Empoleon adds a second ground weakness so it should go.

Here's your new partner:

Flygon w/ Choice Scarf

Adamant

Levitate

134 HP/252 ATK/124 speed

- U-Turn

- Outrage

- Fire Punch

- Earthquake

Immune to Earthquake and resists fire (covers Metagross), immune to electric and resists rock (covers Gyarados). Speed EVs allow you to outrun Jolly Aerodactyl. If you want to outrun more, take EVs from HP and put them into speed.

Gyarados @ Life Ord/Lum Berry

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Role: Offensive (sweeper)

- Waterfall

- Earthquake

- Stone Edge/Ice Fang

- Dragon Dance

Comment: Wacan Berry to weaken electric attacks, Thunderbolt and Fire Blast for coverage.

With two special attacks, a nature that lowers special attack, and Gyarados' low base special attack stat , this isn't working out for you.

Changes made. Get two DDs in and it's pretty much unstoppable.

Thanks a lot for the advice, truly appreciated. i agree with you, i have noticed that Stealth Rock did not "hurt" most of my opponents in the Battle Tower. I'll give explosion to metagross then. :) and replace the item to Choice Band instead. :) BTW, i want to teach him thunder punch, how is it possible?

As for gyarados, it's good that I have one with adamant nature. better to start training her and give the suggested movesets. :)

Lastly, can you please give me an alternative for flygon?

Once again, thanks a lot!

Best regards.

To teach a Metagross ThunderPunch, you have to Move Tutor it in Platinum or Emerald.

@ Notthegoatseguy

BTW, good strategy with the idea of adding Flygon to his team. Lately in Shoddy, (I think) wraith beat me twice and he had one. They are very annoying with their many immunities and resists common types.

To teach a Metagross ThunderPunch, you have to Move Tutor it in Platinum or Emerald.

thanks a lot, i got it :creep: :grog:

There's really no alternative to Flygon. I picked it specifically because of it's immunity to Earthquake (rather than say Garchomp's neutral damage), easily kill Scizor with Fire Punch, and easily switch out and scout moves with U-Turn.

U-Turn is the move all dragon types wish they had, but only Flygon gets.

i see. i'm lucky for catching a Naughty Trapinch last night (after half hour of poke radaring :o @ R228 :D ). Got to breed her immediately to get the right nature. thank you so much :grog:

@ Notthegoatseguy

BTW, good strategy with the idea of adding Flygon to his team. Lately in Shoddy, (I think) wraith beat me twice and he had one. They are very annoying with their many immunities and resists common types.

Yeah. It's true it's not as hard hitting as the other dragons, but it's the only major dragon who can Toxic-stall (Dig or Fly). It's ability gives it a worry free Roost, Screech to soften enemies, and U-Turn to get out.

Maybe it'll get dragon dance next gen :(

Yeah. It's true it's not as hard hitting as the other dragons, but it's the only major dragon who can Toxic-stall (Dig or Fly). It's ability gives it a worry free Roost, Screech to soften enemies, and U-Turn to get out.

Maybe it'll get dragon dance next gen :(

Ouch. That would give Flygon even more versatility. Well, I don't see why not. All the other dragons have Dragon Dance... even Altaria o_O