HD Wii

shotty500

Have I recently heard that Nintendo has decided NOT to release an HD Wii. I don't know why, but that's what I have heard. This means that pretty much when all TVs go to digital, us Wii players will be left in the dust because our Wiis will be lagging. While xbox players and PS3 players will be a-okay. Gay much?

Edited by shotty500

I'd recommend that you remove the angry face from your title, and slightly alter the message so as not to get an infraction.

High definition does not affect the loading/buffering of gameplay. It merely affects the appearence. And while I agree that I would like to see the ability to play in HD without buying a new Wii, I would have to say that the graphics are merely cosmetic, and it is the gameplay that truly matters. IF the Wii does go HD (and that's a pretty big if), I think a lot more current Wii owners will be ticked off than happy. Besides, Nintendo's next big console is (most likely) due out in the next 2 1/2 - 4 years. By then, it will most likely be HD, or Super HD (highly doubt it).

I think that Nintendo will rather send an Upgrade for the Firmware instead of creating a HD Wii/Wii 2. They are going to release a second Upgrade in 8/1/10 for the NDSi/NDSi XL/Wii. Nintendo releases Upgrades every year and the last Upgrade was release in 8/1/09 for the NDSi to upgrade the NDSi Firmware from V1.3 to V1.4. This Upgrade was to enable users to upload images taken by the Built-in Camera to Facebook. People are talking about that the Upgrade coming in 8/1/10 will enable users with some sort of Youtube App or a Video Recorder for the NDSi/NDSi XL/Wii and will Upgrade their Firmware from V1.4 to V1.5. I really don't know if it will be true, but I am hoping that it is true.

I am going to be honest with ya. I don't need a Wii HD. I mean everyone is talking about one. But the whole part of the Wii is the gameplay and story. Honestly I don't care about the graphics that much.

Yeah, but you wouldn't be able to play Wii if it can't work on Digital TVs. That's my point

But the Wii IS playable on the majority of TVs. If component cables don't work for you, maybe it's your TV or Wii. I've honestly never had a problem on any TV.

This is a little off-topic, but did you know that if you hold the + and - buttons on your Wii Remote while turning it on until you're at the menu, you enter a special mode that stops WiiConnect24 (I think). One day, my Wii would freeze 20 seconds into turning on. I used the above method, deleted some old mail, and it worked again! Just thought you guys should know if you ever come across the same situation.

EDIT: It's called Maintenance Mode, and it disables the Wii Message Board. Then how the heck did I delete my mail?

Edited by MACandCHEEZWIZ1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I would have thought the Component Cable would have done the job, but obviously not...

Should I get a DSiXL or wait until 3DS?

It should, although I've never experienced any problems with the Wii using the standard 480i included cable on my LCD... Looks like hell, but it works...

I actually have not tried the component cable. In fact, I had no idea that there was one...

I've known of one, but I haven't felt like paying $50 for a bump to 480p. I tried that on the PS2 and it did squat...

I am going to be honest with ya. I don't need a Wii HD. I mean everyone is talking about one. But the whole part of the Wii is the gameplay and story. Honestly I don't care about the graphics that much.

I'd love a Wii in HD. Even if it's just for the older games, I like how crisp games look on the PS3...

For example, I have Wolfenstein3D playable on my Wii, but It's hard to play because the Wii's built-in buffer ruins the graphics and makes the walls look bigger than they are and it hides the enemies on me. Now on the PS3, I also have Wolfenstein3D. It looks SOOO much better: the colors and more vibrant, the graphics are crisp, and the sound is better too!..

But I don't want the Wii to start making games like Uncharted, but New Super Mario Bros. Wii would be better if the grabbable fences didn't look like they'd induce a seizure...

While a Wii HD could be interesting, I'm quite happy with my normal Wii with a component cable. And most of you forgot one important detail. Most of Nintendo's games are cartoonish. Why the hell would it matter if the Wii was in HD? It would be the same cartoonish graphics with somewhat smoother renderings. Nothing more. Until all of you have played Super Smash Bros. Brawl on a Wii with a component cable, none of you will understand why a Wii HD is not needed. ~STBE

But the cartoonish graphics are due in part to the Wii being the weakest console on the market...

The developers cannot push hyper-realistic graphics through it; they need to make up an artstyle to have any sort of visual appeal...

Now if the Wii were stronger, the developers would probably have made some realisitic and only used an artstyle when they were feeling creative...

That's why it would matter...

For proof, look at either of the other consoles on the market today... Cartoony games do exist (I'm looking at YOU Pixeljunk!) alongside games that look like Uncharted...

• 3 months later...
While a Wii HD could be interesting, I'm quite happy with my normal Wii with a component cable. And most of you forgot one important detail. Most of Nintendo's games are cartoonish. Why the hell would it matter if the Wii was in HD? It would be the same cartoonish graphics with somewhat smoother renderings. Nothing more. Until all of you have played Super Smash Bros. Brawl on a Wii with a component cable, none of you will understand why a Wii HD is not needed. ~STBE

You do have a point there, even though I haven't tried it yet...

• 5 months later...