Project Pokemon Touney's?

Has anybody thought of aranging tournaments just for us guys and gals here at PP, we could post what date and time they are being held, we could also have different ranks that allow the use of only certain tiers/types/evolutions, maybe even a ranking system or special prizes, the prizes could be pokemon with PP only trainer IDs or whatever, ok maybe the GTS wont accept them but who cares, we all hack anyway so they could be pokemon we only use here. im sure it wouldnt be too hard and i think people would like the chance to earn kudos amongst there fellow PP members by battling each other, it would also be a way of people sharing tactics and teams.

Just an idea

thats ok its all about tactics anyway, theres probably other sites that do something like this, ok the prizes were just an idea but setting up more battles should be easy enough, just get people to sign up for them and meet up at the right times

I don't think it is wise.

As you can see, it would be very hard to battle when everyone's Pokémon are perfect, or hacked.

Hacked Pokemon don't carry an inherent advantage in a battle. As long as they match up to legal, in-game standards, there's absolutely no difference in battling against a generated Pokemon or one captured on Route 221.

I wouldn't mind doing it. We'd have to abide by Smogon (standard) rules though. That specifically means No Ubers.

Why would we have to abide by someone else's rules?

But actually, no ubers is a no brainer, even Nintendo does that one.

no, Nintendo doesn't do that. And the standard rules are standard. They're the balanced rules created by people who have competitive battling on the palm on their hand. Sometimes I feel like everyone but Project Pokemon follows it.

Nintendo allows Garchomp. Smogon doesn't, and if you don't agree with Smogon I'm prepared to teach you.

no, Nintendo doesn't do that. And the standard rules are standard. They're the balanced rules created by people who have competitive battling on the palm on their hand. Sometimes I feel like everyone but Project Pokemon follows it.

Nintendo allows Garchomp. Smogon doesn't, and if you don't agree with Smogon I'm prepared to teach you.

Well Nintendo's Uber list is just different from Smogon. The concept is the same.

But again I don't see why its Smogon's decision. We would follow our own guidelines based on our deductions. "Smogon says so" is not acceptable.

Plus, I am sure Garchomp is also an uber in our list, so I don't know what you are so worried about. Its not on the list because Smogon says so, but because there is a good argument for why it should not be lower than that. Smogon has nothing to do with it. They just popularized the idea.

ok maybe the GTS wont accept them but who cares, we all hack anyway so they could be pokemon we only use here. im sure it wouldnt be too hard and i think people would like the chance to earn kudos amongst there fellow PP members by battling each other, it would also be a way of people sharing tactics and teams.

No, we don't all hack. Many do. But definitely not all.

Smogon has everything to do with the Garchomp ban. Its there that the Yachechomp set was created. Its on Smogon's server that the Yachechomp set was used, and it was Smogon's server that led to Garchomp's ban. Its not a "popular" idea. It was declared through months of testing by SMOGON that Garchomp should be banned.

And I still do not understand why you don't see the importance they have in the Pokemon Community. Unless you want to create your own server and supervise thousands upon thousands of battles, carefully watching the statistics of each individual Pokemon you have no right to say that your ideas are better than a group that does. Its Smogon's decision because they take the effort to MAKE it their decision. They don't just declare rules. They test. And they test. And they test, they test to ensure balance while maintaining competitivity.

Also, the list we have here is the same damn thing as Smogon's April 5th list. It just hasn't been changed yet for whatever reason. I would be glad to update it, but someone's probably going to get angry and delete my thread saying that we already have one.

And the Uber list concept is not really the same. Nintendo basically declares any legendary with have 600 BST or above to be banned. Thats not thought, thats just laziness. Once again, through extensive testings SMOGON has proven that neither Jirachi nor Celebi are ground-breaking enough to constitute a ban. Mew is, due to her knowledge of every move, as is Manaphy due to his sheer power when combined with Tail Glow and Rest. And before you say anything, it can't be stopped. You cannot properly counter a Tail Glow Manaphy with any OU Pokemon. Protip, if Ubers have a tough time fighting a certain Pokemon, its too strong for OU. Hell, look at Garchomp. That 102 speed is godly in Ubers.

I can't tell if you're trolling. I'm too busy laughing at how ignorant you sound. This quote is almost signature material.

If you're so big on Smogon and consider it your almighty lord and savior, go have fun over there. Nobody here is going to "convert" no matter how much you preach.

Smogon does not know everything.

Our tier is not influenced by any other site because of it's popularity, nor should it be.

Mew is, due to her knowledge of every move

Firstly, Mew is genderless.

Secondly, Mew cannot learn every move, just every TM/HM plus some.

Smogon does not know everything.

Our tier is not influenced by any other site because of it's popularity, nor should it be.

And this is why this forum and everyone on it is ignorant. It has nothing to do with popularity. It has to deal with common sense. I was hoping this forum would be a little more laid back than Smogon.com, but now I realize its so laid back its idiotic.

In fact, I don't even know what everyone is arguing about. Its like everyone here wants to bash Smogon while at the same time they leech off of them when it comes to "popular" things like movesets and which Pokemon are good. Point out everything on Smogon that upsets you. There are logical reasonings for each question.

And yes, I do feel like my time here is numbered.

You want a reason? I'll give you one.

Quoth YOU from another thread:

Doc, all you really need to ponder is if a team can counter Latias, Heatran, Scizor, Zapdos and T-tar successfully. You're halfway done at that point.

Smogon's community stagnates it's own metagame. It's statistics are worthless anywhere besides their own shoddy servers, on top of the fact that usage has no solid correlation with overall ability. If people are continually told "X pokémon is better than Y", most of the time they will follow this line of thought. Another name for this is "being a sheep". It's sad, but it's true, and most players are like this. Because of this, you end up with a metagame akin to Smogon's where some pokémon simply can't see the light of day based on what everyone is playing.

To assume that you can solidly "test" enough to pass judgment on a game like this is ignorance, plain and simple. Try all you like, but you will NEVER develop a list that can be applied universally to each and every metagame.

But please, continue to squirm and complain that everyone here is an idiot for not agreeing or not following Smogon - I quite enjoy the show.

So... I don't see what you're bawing about. Are you basically saying that you want all those Pokemon banned? You need to be able to counter those Pokemon. Why? Because they're used the most. And for good reason too, they're destructive. Not destructive to be considered Ubers, but powerful. Am I supposed to sit back and not rate a team based on its lack of ability to stop a pokemon like Zapdos? Why the hell would I ever do that?

I honestly don't understand what you're talking about. You need to be able to defeat those Pokemon because people use them a lot due to their strength. Its simple logic!

You keep thinking Smogon's influence only applies to Smogon. How about instead of using cocky language you start speaking like a regular person.

Smogon's statistics are the ONLY statistics we have. Its a hell of a lot easier to create a team on Shoddy than it is to make one from scratch, even with Pokesav. Then you need to go through the effort of tracking people down to battle with and then you finally get into a battle with two people. Once the battle is over, its gone. Not even the Vs. Recorder is all that useful.

Just answer this. Is Heatran a threat, and do you think teams should be prepared to battle it?

I think you need to reread my post on the last page a few more times, and let it slowly sink in... my point was that their statistics are worthless outside of their metagame. Whether or not they're the only ones publicly available is irrelevant to anything we're even discussing here.

And if you want to start trying to state obvious things like "2+2=4" and then somehow take that statement's truth to mean that Smogon must be absolutely right in all ways, then I think I'm done here.

Talking cocky is simply something that I do when I argue. You'll get over it when you realize that, at the end of the day, I don't honestly give a damn. =P

You keep saying their statistics are worthless. Its those stastistics that made Scizor popular. Its those statistics that lead to Garchomp's ban after it dawned on everyone that he was on 90% on every team. All statistics are made public, Smogon is not a secret conspiracy organization.

Statistics lead to the Uber/OU/UU tiers which help end up balancing the metagame. For example, the statistics showed that Zapdos and Heatran were being used a lot as of late. Smogon decided to create a new ladder where Latias was allowed. Using the statistics gotten from that ladder, they could determine that Latias did NOT overcentralize the metagame as expected, but that it helped lower the usage of Heatran and Zapdos on teams due to Latias being a new and versitile counter.

Now try and tell me statistics don't mean anything.

EDIT: Oh yes, the findings apply to real life as well. We use Latias on wifi and we don't consider it uber. Of course, unless people read the statistics they'll never have any idea WHY it was unbanned.

Roms don't contain statistics based off of 1000+ people fighting each other using wide varieties of Pokemon and movesets in long battles to determine which team strategy is superior.

They contain other types of statistical data. Not the type we're talking about. Unless you just wanted to take a little jab at me :P

You keep saying their statistics are worthless. Its those stastistics that made Scizor popular. Its those statistics that lead to Garchomp's ban after it dawned on everyone that he was on 90% on every team. All statistics are made public, Smogon is not a secret conspiracy organization.

Statistics lead to the Uber/OU/UU tiers which help end up balancing the metagame. For example, the statistics showed that Zapdos and Heatran were being used a lot as of late. Smogon decided to create a new ladder where Latias was allowed. Using the statistics gotten from that ladder, they could determine that Latias did NOT overcentralize the metagame as expected, but that it helped lower the usage of Heatran and Zapdos on teams due to Latias being a new and versitile counter.

Now try and tell me statistics don't mean anything.

EDIT: Oh yes, the findings apply to real life as well. We use Latias on wifi and we don't consider it uber. Of course, unless people read the statistics they'll never have any idea WHY it was unbanned.

They don't mean anything outside of Smogon. Read what I said again, and check out what I bolded in your post.

As to your edit, I only have one word: "What?".

And I still do not understand why you don't see the importance they have in the Pokemon Community. Unless you want to create your own server and supervise thousands upon thousands of battles, carefully watching the statistics of each individual Pokemon you have no right to say that your ideas are better than a group that does.
Yes, I do want to do that, thank you.

Also I never said that our ideas are better. Just that they might be different and we have every right to have different ideas. We are under no obligation to follow someone else's rules. We can make our own and modify them as we see fit.

No more discussion about smogon here. Any more will be considered spam. Take this discussion to the thread that Destati just made: http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?t=893