Calvin and Hobbes

Talk about Calvin and Hobbes in this thread! For those of you who don't know what it is, I'd suggest going to the local library and looking under the comic book section, the creator of the strip is Bill Watterson. You'll soon understand why everyone who's read his strips admires this guy. :]

I anycase, the strip is about a six year old boy (Calvin) and his tiger (Hobbes) that, to everyone else is just a stuffed animal. However it's not in his imagination, it's just how different people percieve the tiger. To Calvin, he is a real, living, walking, talking orange 'n' black tiger, and is a friend and companion. Because he has no real friends, funnily enough.

Well, I've been a fan since I was about six, I was drawn right in by Watterson's brilliant style and colouring. When I got older, I discovered that he was very different from other cartoonists - he did everything himself, and he didn't sell out to make Calvin and Hobbes an overused money making scheme, he was in it for the strip, not for the money. I was sad to discover that he had stopped creating strips, but it was probably for the best, before it became stale and lame, like Garfield.

Edited by RenegadeShroom

You may want to ask for this thread to be moved to the Off Topic board, since this isn't really Creative Discussion.

That out of the way, I LOVE CALVIN AND HOBBES!

I've got four or five of his compilations and I love to re-read them anytime I'm feeling the need for some good, classic, well-drawn comics. :D

You think so? I thought it would fall under literature, thus ending up in CD.

Ooh, which ones have you got? I've got Yukon Ho!, It's a Magical World, Scientific Progress Goes "Boink", The Lazy Sunday Book and The Essential Calvin and Hobbes Treasury. I love them all, and if I'm ever faced with 'sell or starve' I'll go with starve, thanks. :D

I love how Bill Watterson isn't just about making people laugh with Calvin and Hobbes - Some of the strips are really meaningful, and the one with the raccoon is really sad. This is one of the major things that sets it apart from your average, run-of-the-mill strip, in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

I started to make a collection of calvin and hobbes comics in a scrapbook but then they downsized the comic and then that's when I stopped. I love the one where his dad takes him shopping but he has to stay in the car because: "knock over one stupid pile and i'm not allowed in there for the rest of my life" then he hides with a blanket over him and hobbes in the car and his dad said, oh I wonder where calvin and hobbes are, I'll just leave and get rid of them. then calvin jumps up and says, you sicko, im telling mum when we get home!

so funny

(sorry about grammer, too long I couldn't be bothered)