Games: Pokémon Black and Pokémon White

NewsBot

• Bot

Article Posted by <a href="/forums/member.php?1379">Alpha</a>: <a href="/news/213/Pokémon Black and Pokémon White">Pokémon Black and Pokémon White</a><p>

Gen V of Pokémon is coming up and will be released in Fall 2010. The names of the games have finally been announced, <em>Pokémon Black</em> and <em>White</em>. Current retail is unknown and the likely console is the Nintendo DS, not the 3DS. </p>

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surfing on Bulbapedia, only to see "Black" and "White" under their Generation V section. MASSIVE SPOILERS POUR MOI. Goshdarn, I'm so excited! I might just explode! The logos are interesting, but I can't help but miss the ones used since Generation III began. I hope NoA treats this as a sign that they should start making the English logos look similar to the Japanese ones. I guess we'll have to wait until April 15th, but CoroCoro should be out before then. Also, congrats for reporting this before Bulbapedia made a news article!

I was wondering when this would show up here.

The dissapointing thing about this announcement is that the DS logo pretty much cements the fact these games will be for the DS, as opposed to the 3DS. I'm not expecting much of a graphical leap beyond what we saw in Hg/Ss, at this point... the DS will have been around 6 years by the time these games come out, and I think we've seen pretty much all it's capable of. Even had these games been DSi-exclusive titles, the possibility would've been there with the processor clocked at twice the speed, and 4x the RAM. But can the regular DS really be capable of any more?

I was wondering when this would show up here.

The dissapointing thing about this announcement is that the DS logo pretty much cements the fact these games will be for the DS, as opposed to the 3DS. I'm not expecting much of a graphical leap beyond what we saw in Hg/Ss, at this point... the DS will have been around 6 years by the time these games come out, and I think we've seen pretty much all it's capable of. Even had these games been DSi-exclusive titles, the possibility would've been there with the processor clocked at twice the speed, and 4x the RAM. But can the regular DS really be capable of any more?

When have Pokemon games ever been known for their superadvanced graphics?

When have Pokemon games ever been known for their superadvanced graphics?

Between Generations, at least, we've had a bit of a jump each time. If Gen V looks like a barely-enhanced version of Hg/Ss, it'll be a little dissapointing on the visuals front. Releasing a brand-new Pokemon generation on a console which will probably be supplanted by the 3DS no more than a few months after the game comes out? Seems a bit of a risky move. Admittedly, they'll be playable on the 3DS, but they'll look like crap beside those 3DS launch titles.

Between Generations, at least, we've had a bit of a jump each time. If Gen V looks like a barely-enhanced version of Hg/Ss, it'll be a little dissapointing on the visuals front. Releasing a brand-new Pokemon generation on a console which will probably be supplanted by the 3DS no more than a few months after the game comes out? Seems a bit of a risky move. Admittedly, they'll be playable on the 3DS, but they'll look like crap beside those 3DS launch titles.

I say it's a risky move to force Pokemon on the 3ds. There are millions of DS, DSLites, and DSis already out. By making it a 3DS exclusive, or even a DSi Exclusive, you are isolating other console owners.

I say it's a risky move to force Pokemon on the 3ds. There are millions of DS, DSLites, and DSis already out. By making it a 3DS exclusive, or even a DSi Exclusive, you are isolating other console owners.

True, but that argument can be made for any new hardware launch, at any time. Doesn't mean we shouldn't all stick with the same thing for years, on end... or else we'd be playing NES Fit, Pokemon Diamond on our trusty 1989 Game Boys, and posting on the Project Pokemon BBS from our 386's running Windows 3.11 (for networks :tongue:).

A Pokemon launch title could have potentially increased 3DS sales by quite a bit... but now we have Gen V beginning its life on a dying handheld, with an expiration date already on the calender. Assuming the rumours are true, and the 3DS really does have Gamecube-esque power and graphics (ignoring the stereoscopic stuff), I wouldn't be surprised if a Mario Sunshine port were a launch title (to counter Mario 64 DS), along with some other great games. If the 3DS is even most of what people say it's going to be, I think it'll have a pretty high early-adoption rate.

what makes me think this game won't be on the 3DS for sure is the fact that it is supposed to release September of 2010 and the 3DS is to release March of 2011. Another thing is that if Black and White follow hg/ss release dates the US copies will come out around the time of 3DS.

what makes me think this game won't be on the 3DS for sure is the fact that it is supposed to release September of 2010 and the 3DS is to release March of 2011. Another thing is that if Black and White follow hg/ss release dates the US copies will come out around the time of 3DS.

They're obviously DS games; that much is indicated by the DS Logos :rolleyes:

But the 3DS isn't set to release March 2011... the press release clearly said "in the fiscal year ending March 2011". That could mean next week, next month, or anytime up until next March. Based on past releases, the most likely release period for the 3DS is in October or November, this year. Better to launch a totally new generation of handheld when there's some holiday shopping going on, as opposed to the first quarter of 2011 when people will still be reeling from their holiday credit card bills. There's also the fact that the Gamecube, DS Phat, Wii, DSi, and DSi XL all launched around the end of their respective release years (in Japan). The only (kind of ) recent device to get a Q1 release was the DS Lite, and that was years ago; and didn't signify the beginning of a new generation of hardware.

So in all likelihood, we'll have Pokemon Black & White coming out; probably around September... and then the 3DS launching one and a half or two months later. Not sure how good that'll look, IMO. I'm still really looking foward to the games, of course, but I can't help but be dissapointed they're being released on a dying system.

I am astounded by their creative names... I hope the actual games are better than their names.

I actually like the names for some reason. They have that powerful sense when you hear it.

The logos themselves seem very interesting. They seem very solid, which makes me more curious about 5th Gen.

But chances are, the names will most likely be changed :( Maybe to Dark and Light. But still, I hope that they won't change the names.

I'm excited for this, but I'm honest...I'm not buying it if it's like all the other games. You know, gyms and elite 4 only. With some team of bandits on the side or something.

I would not mind if the core gameplay is the same for the most part, I just want it to be mixed up a little.

And since we are crossing into Generation 5... I think they should start making an effort with graphics. I'm sick of sliding sprites and beep-y cries. I don't want to hear their anime voices, but all the cries should at least get an update to sound like the new pokemon of Gen IV's cries. Since they actually sound like something.

The graphics should be like Pokemon Stadium 1/2.

I sound negative and all that, I'm sure, but I'm still looking forward to see what it turns into. But chances are Nintendo won't really stray from the beaten path, even though I have heard rumors it's different.

yeah i thought about those names back when G/S came out too. i hope they at least have the starters out soon so we can see what we have to work with, and that the rest of the PKMN at least look a bit better in design then the last two generations. i only found a hand full of PKMN from R/S and D/P i liked. but either way i probably will buy it.

As has been since their debut, and now increased, I fear this gen will be the death of pokemon, at least for enough years for someone to revive it. Since the apparent plan is to not use the new system, at the LEAST they should FINALLY make use of the advanced connections of the DSi. I have wireless in my house, but it's not basic enough for the pokemon games, so I have to drive down to another street and use some wireless I discovered for all my events. It's rather frustrating that HG and SS didn't because I can't trade much or do other stuff due to this issue. I honestly expected purple after gold and silver. Purple black and something else. Not white though.