My Yellow kind of sucks.

Jellybones

Well, a friend very kindly gave me his Yellow (free! But I guess this proves once and for all you get what you pay for..) I had my SP at school we started it up a few times, to no success. It worked once but Pikachu was messed up. Finally it worked later. It worked fine for a while, but if I even nudged the cartridge a little the game would freeze. A light tap meant death. I lost several Nidorans to this. :(

The point: It was glitchy the moment I got it.

A couple days later I was playing it in P.E. We were inside the Gym, my friends were playing basketball. I just caught a Spearow, and then the game froze. A moment later, a basketball hit yellow, and the game and cartridge fell to the floor.

Nothing ACTUALLY appeared to break. But Yellow wouldn't start up anymore. The Gameboy is fine.

SO my problem is, how do I fix this? I can put in Yellow, but it either

A) Has the gameboy screen with the Nintendo reduced gibberish that's impossible to type here

B) Looks normal, then the GB screen fades and the screen turns white till I turn it off.

Cleaning it with a swab yields result B. Blowing into it furiously yields result A. What do I do? I suppose I could buy Yellow or even red/blue for cheap, but I'd rather not.

I recommand that you just throw it away. Once the internal memory has been damaged it will be useless.

How are you sure that's what's been damaged? Sure, a basketball hit it, but who knows?

As for your game being glitched when you first played, its because your friend attempted the missingno. glitch and appearently caught it and that corrupted your game. So just throw it away and don't waste your time on it.

I'm not too keen on missingo, but I didn't think it would carry over into a new save. I heard the one in Yellow is more destructive, but still. Not sure.

Only reason I'm still trying it is because the gameboy screen still shows up. I'm sure if it was unfixable maybe nothing would come up, or maybe just the Gameboy screen but without the Nintendo.

• 2 months later...

Riolu's words are true; it sounds like the thing gave all it could. The basketball may have not damaged it physically, but internally it's a whole different story--those cartridges can take a hit, but the blunt force can damage what's within. I have a few friends who experienced something similar with either of their RBY copies.

As for Missingno., it's been long since I played RBY, but IIRC, depositing it in any of the PC Boxes then saving the game is what usually causes the game to crash for good. However, I remember my Blue version didn't work properly after around a month of so of messing with Missingno. Doing the trick, however, isn't dangerous to your game.

And the screen will still appear regardless, think of it as if you turn the GB on while not having a game inserted.

EDIT: I just noticed the date of this thread, my apologies for the necro-bump.

Edited by Feralligates
Sorry for bumping an old thread...

Keep in mind it's also a decade old game. These things aren't meant to last forever.

I'd recomend tossing it and going to a locally owned game store. Locally owned/independent game stores (IE not Gamestop) will still stock retro games, and probably could get you one still in the original box never played if you wanted to pay a bit extra. Pawn shops also might have some video games to choose from, as well as garage/yard sales.

• 7 months later...