I can't make a hack myself, but it's a good idea. I was thinking a G/S with expansions to the story and gameplay, but no actual story changes that would majorly alter the game.

What I mean is, to add new items (possibly a GS ball thing) and new events. The game is mostly the same, but extended.

So say after you beat Red, you get a call from Professor Elm (or an expansion to when you have to see him after bating the E4) saying that he found a Poké Ball behind his healing machine, and that it's nothing like he's ever seen. If it's the call scenario, you go to the lab and this happens, If it's the E4 scenario, this is just added to the Master Ball reward.

"[PHONECALL] Remember how I gave you that Master Ball? Well, I've found another Ball behind my healing machine that I've never seen before. Can you take it to Kurt to check it out? He'll surely know what it will do. [Receive GS Ball]" And so on.

"[E4 AFTER HE GIVES MASTERBALL AS YOU ARE LEAVING LAB] [! above head, walks to player] I almost forgot, I found this behind my healing machine. Can you take it to Kurt and have it examined? [Receive GS Ball]" And then you go to Kurt.

"[ONCE AT KURT'S] [! over head when you step inside, Kurt walks to player] Oh, hey. I just got a phone call from Prof. Elm, he said you were coming with something for me. Oh? A GS Ball? I've seen this only once before." And he goes on about what you have to do to catch Celebi.

It should go along the lines of that, which expands on the story by completing unused maps (Safari Zone) and adding events for unused items (GS Ball). If possible, new functionality could be added such as the currently unknown area north of Johto and Kanto, with new buildings or maybe a whole new region based on an area of a country OTHER than Japan.

Obviously the ROM would need to be expanded, but the end result would be epic. Is there anybody who knows how to use my idea at least to a certain extent?