Pokemon Showdown! (Version 1 Released!)

Guested

I'd say that the Hoenn gym leaders ought to remain double battles, like in Emerald. It keeps things interesting, and Liza & Tate are a forced double battle regardless. Since there was no Gen 4 Hoenn game, we should go on what we last saw in Emerald and build from that.

I'll deliver what I promised shortly.

Added a new bit of data we need:

- We also need to know where trainer class data is located in the ROM

We also need to know how to edit the music, and which values correspond to which class so we know which ones we can replace with trainer classes from other games. Good luck, if you so choose to dig for this info.

Edit: Using a bit of input from wraith89 and finishing off my own ideas, I have determined movesets for all of the HGSS trainers who needed editing/updating except Kimono Girls.

Input is still VERY welcome on: Team Galactic, Charon, Looker, Oak, Lucas, Dawn, and all the trainers on the FRLG and Emerald lists.

Edited by Guested

Made a small update to the stuff on the first post that we need help with.

Also, Alpha... took a brief look at the work so far and I didn't notice anything else unusual apart from Kazo's observation that Pryce and Chuck are switched. I'll spend a little more time with it after I make a proper team.

Actually, wait. Lt. Surge's name was all messed up. And I couldn't find Joey.

Ha.

Edited by Guested

• 2 weeks later...

Update on things we need help with:

- All research topics mentioned in first post.

- Battle sprites made from over-sized sprites of Charon, Looker, and Oak.

- Someone willing to help with making overworld sprites from the Gen III trainer's sprites.

- Moveset ideas for:

Lucas

Dawn

Looker

Wally, Brendan, May

- Moveset update ideas for:

Emerald Gym Leaders and Elite 4

Matt/Shelly (double battle)

Archie

Courtney/Tabitha (Double battle)

Maxie

Emerald Frontier Brains

Gabby & Ty

Lorelei

Agatha

Edited by Guested

• 2 weeks later...

In the movesets for the male and female playable character of Sinnoh, I'm trying to fit at least one move introduced in Gen 4 in each Pokemon set. Similar to the game's NPCs, I'll only put one very useful item on a team, along with maybe one HP restoring berry. I'll only specify an ability if there's more than one to choose from:

Moveset suggestions for Lucas:

Torterra:

-Wood Hammer

-Leech Seed

-Stealth Rock

-Earthquake

Magmortar w/ Oran Berry:

- Lava Plume

- Thunder Punch

- Fire Spin

- Mach Punch

Staraptor

- U-Turn

- Brave Bird

- Close Combat

- Return

Lopunny w/ Flame Orb

Klutz

- Switcheroo

- Encore

- Toxic

- Jump Kick

Froslass

- Hail

- Ice Shard

- Destiny Bond

- Blizzard

Uxie

- Calm Mind

- Psychic

- Energy Ball

- Rest

I'll try to post Dawn's team later.

Update

All Trainer teams have been designed and completed.

Special thanks to wraith89 and randomspot555 for their ideas and suggestions.

And also, thanks to anyone on the IRC channel that entertained/assisted by occasional musings/random questions.

First post has been updated, made more concise.

Update

All Trainer teams have been designed and completed.

Special thanks to wraith89 and randomspot555 for their ideas and suggestions.

And also, thanks to anyone on the IRC channel that entertained/assisted by occasional musings/random questions.

First post has been updated, made more concise.

Great work, Guested and anyone else that made it possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Eh, I have a problem with this. When I download the patch and patched it, I use No$GBA to run it and all I get it a white screen. I've tried unpatched and patched with Rudolph just in case I needed to. And each time I got the same result.

Eh, I have a problem with this. When I download the patch and patched it, I use No$GBA to run it and all I get it a white screen. I've tried unpatched and patched with Rudolph just in case I needed to. And each time I got the same result.

I get the same result on a CycloDS Evolution (Firmware B.2). I used xDelta to patch my rom of Soul Silver with the 'ss.patch' file.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Umm...there are some weird things with your patches. The 2 files for HG and SS have different size, and it's a BIG difference (39 vs 963 KB). I thought they were supposed to be at least similarly sized? Also, when I patch my Soul Silver backup using SS.patch and xDelta GUI, I got a white screen at the start. Then I decided to improvise and used the HG patch on it, and it worked.

Hi there. Great idea for a rom hack! As it's in beta, I found a few bugs in the HG.patch.

1: When I challenged Pryce's sprite to a battle, it gave me a battle with Chuck. (Imagine my surprise when my all Flying-type team had to face a Pure-ice team. It wasn't pretty ._.)

1a: The same happens for when challenging Chuck, you get Pryce instead.

2: When I challenged LT. Surge, at the screen where it would normally say Lt. Surge wants to battle, it gives me random letters followed by a few spaces wants to battle (Like this: Lp nsswqas wants to battle)

If I find more, I will edit my post.

PS: For those who don't know how to patch the rom, I used the same xdelta patcher that came packaged with Perfect Heart Gold (Windows GUI Patcher)

I took a CLEAN, UNPATCHED HG rom (apparently it works with an SS rom too), selected the HG.patch (since the SS.PATCH Freezes my rom) in Xdelta GUI and and the clean HG rom and clicked "Apply Patch."

Then I placed it onto my flashcart.

Hope it helps ~oyeah1988~

Thanks for the feedback.

Number 1 has already been fixed, but hasn't been released yet.

Number 2 is an issue that Alpha is working on.

Progress update:

About 98% of all planning and graphics have been completed. Everything is being pieced together and I'm in the process of scripting the rest of the locations (apart from the main Frontier area which was in the "beta") and that is about one third complete.

Umm...there are some weird things with your patches. The 2 files for HG and SS have different size, and it's a BIG difference (39 vs 963 KB). I thought they were supposed to be at least similarly sized? Also, when I patch my Soul Silver backup using SS.patch and xDelta GUI, I got a white screen at the start. Then I decided to improvise and used the HG patch on it, and it worked.

That's because he used the same base rom to make both patches for HG and SS.

Since HG was the base rom for the hack, the SS patch has a lot more changes to apply, which explains the bigger size.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm just wondering... will any of the trainers and villans from Pokemon Colosseum/Gale of Darkness be in it?

Heroes -Wes, Michael

Villans - Gonzap, Nascour, Es Cade, Greevil

Others - Miror. B, Rui, Elder Eagun, Kaminko, Chobin, Leader Justy

Cipher - Dakim, Venus, Ein, Ardos, Eldes

i'm just wondering... will any of the trainers and villans from Pokemon Colosseum/Gale of Darkness be in it?

Heroes -Wes, Michael

I only know Miror. B from these people.

They all need a Trainer Sprite to be inserted, so that might be hard to make..

Heroes -Wes, Michael

It's an interesting idea, but no. As this guy said, they would all have to have custom sprites drawn and that's quite a bit of work. But even at a technical level, we've basically run out of editable trainer classes, so there isn't really room in the ROM for that many more outside trainers.

It's an interesting idea, but no. As this guy said, they would all have to have custom sprites drawn and that's quite a bit of work. But even at a technical level, we've basically run out of editable trainer classes, so there isn't really room in the ROM for that many more outside trainers.

it's ok, though. it was just a thoughtful suggestion anyway, seeing they haven't seen the light of day outside of the Gamecube.

and i can understand, because it would take lots of time making custom sprites for each of them and that would hold up everything.

also, when you need any testers to see if there are any errors present, i would like to help if you let me.