Pokemon Showdown! (Version 1 Released!)

Guested

showdown.png

Have you ever wanted to re-battle boss fights from the evil organizations? Have you ever wanted to re-battle a Gym Leader without having to worry about calling them or meeting them on the right day, or whether or not they are in the Battleground Café? Have you ever wanted to battle a member of the Elite Four or a Champion without having to fight through the others first? Have you ever wanted to battle Gym Leaders from Hoenn in the 4th Generation battle mechanics? Have you ever wanted to battle these trainers on a balanced level 100 playing field?

If you answered “Yes” to any of these questions, then take a look at Pokemon Showdown!

Showdown is a twist on the old Gym Leader Castle mode from the Pokemon Stadium games which features 104 trainers from 4 different regions in 99 different battles.

The goal: An HGSS ROM hack of the Battle Frontier, where key trainers hang around outside, waiting to be rebattled whenever you walk up to them. Most trainers will feature their rebattle teams from the Platinum Battleground or HGSS Dojo, but all will be at level 100. You use Pokesav/Pokegen/whatever to add your own level 100 team to challenge all of the trainers in any order at any time. There are no prizes for winning, it is just for the sake of battling.

Description/Mini-guide

Frontier Access – where you begin

Here is where you begin your battle adventure. After starting a new game, save, then insert your own pokemon using Pokesav, Pokegen, or whatever. When you leave your house and enter Frontier Access, you’ll see the partner trainers from Sinnoh walking around outside, a Pokemon Center, and a relocated Dojo.

Dojo

The Dojo has moved from Saffron City to be closer to the action! The Gym Leaders from Kanto have all gathered here.

Battle Frontier

In the main area of the Battle Frontier, you’ll encounter the Gym Leaders of the regions where this Battle Frontier has appeared (Johto and Sinnoh) as well as a few other familiar faces from those regions.

Hall

The Battle Hall is where you will find Gym Leaders from Hoenn, as well as a duo who now seems more interested in a rematch than an interview. As with their rematches in Emerald, these battles will all be double battles.

Factory

The evil organizations that you’ve encountered throughout the first four generations have taken over the factory! They will battle you in a variety of both single and double battles.

Arcade

Frontier Brains have taken up residence in the Battle Arcade. The top trainers from the Johto/Sinnoh Battle Frontier and the Hoenn Battle Frontier are all here!

Castle

Many “Elite” trainers are in the Battle Castle. You can battle Elite Four members from the Indigo League, Sinnoh League, Hoenn League, as well as a couple Indigo League alumni.

Tower

The best of the best trainers have all gathered in the Battle Tower. Here you’ll face Champions, legends, rivals, friends, and even a few surprises.

Included Trainers:

HGSS Johto Gym Leaders

Falkner

Bugsy

Whitney

Morty

Chuck

Jasmine

Pryce

Clair

HGSS Elite Four

Will

Koga

Bruno

Karen

Lance

HGSS Kanto Gym Leaders

Brock

Misty

Lt. Surge

Erika

Janine

Sabrina

Blaine

Blue

HGSS Team Rocket

Proton

Petrel

Ariana

Archer

Giovanni

Other HGSS Trainers

Red

Eusine

Joey

Clair/Lance Double Battle

Kimono Girls

Rival

Ethan

Lyra

Frontier Brains

Tower - Palmer

Factory - Thorton

Arcade - Dahlia

Castle - Darach/Caitlin

Hall - Argenta

Sinnoh Gym Leaders

Roark

Gardenia

Maylene

Crasher Wake

Fantina

Byron

Candice

Volkner

Sinnoh Elite Four

Aaron

Bertha

Flint

Lucian

Cynthia

Partner Trainers

Cheryl

Mira

Riley

Marley

Buck

Team Galactic

Mars

Jupiter

Saturn

Charon

Cyrus

Other Sinnoh Trainers

Barry

Lucas

Dawn

Looker

Hoenn Gym Leaders

Roxanne

Brawley

Wattson

Flannery

Norman

Winona

Tate and Liza

Wallace

Juan

Hoenn Elite Four

Sidney

Phoebe

Glacia

Drake

Steven

Hoenn Frontier Brains

Factory - Noland

Arena - Greta

Dome - Tucker

Pike - Lucy

Palace - Spenser

Pyramid - Brandon

Salon - Anabel

Team Aqua

Matt

Shelly

Archie

Team Magma

Courtney

Tabitha

Maxie

Other Hoenn Trainers

Wally

Brendan

May

Gabby & Ty

Other Trainers from FRLG

Leaf

Oak

Lorelei

Agatha

...plus a couple surprises

The majority of these trainers have been taken straight from their trainer data from their rematches on either Platinum (from the Battlegound) or HGSS (from the Dojo). Several teams were created from scratch with specific themes in mind, and most of the Generation III trainers' teams were based off of their respective rematch teams, but updated to fit better with Generation IV (physical/special split, weak moves replaced, etc).

--February 15 Update--

-Version 1 Release-

The first "final" version of Showdown is now ready. All trainers are in, all battle sprites work, and we've added an intro and title screen logo thanks to Poryhack.

The released patch is for HG only, but I'll have one ready for SS when I get it working.

Instructions:

- Download and apply patch to a US ROM of HeartGold

- Begin game, proceed to the point in-game where you receive a Pokemon from your mother.

- Save and quit.

- Edit your save file using Pokegen (or other software) to give yourself a team (you have no badges, so make sure your pokemon have your own OT/ID/SID so that they will obey you).

- Trying to exit to the south will cause you to meet an NPC that will give you the Running Shoes and the Bicycle.

- Speaking to almost any trainer will start a battle.

- Your Pokemon are healed automatically after every battle, but consumable items (berries, Power Herb, White Herb, Focus Sash) are not replaced, so be sure to bring extras.

Tips for a more enjoyable/challenging experience:

- Set the Battle style to SET (not Shift). None of this "Trainer is about to send out a (x)"... makes it too easy.

- Do NOT use items such as potions or revives. The Trainers in-game have none.

- Using an advantageous type against a Gym Leader (ie, Electric vs. Misty) may prove to be far too easy against their mostly mono-type teams, so try to avoid using such types.

- Try to see how many of the trainers you can beat using the same six Pokemon.

- Bond697 has suggested setting your own Pokemon levels lower (90 or so) for a more interesting challenge. You will gain experience after each battle, but as there is no progress in this mod there is no need so save, so you can just reset the game to return to your original level.

Things I'd like to include in a future update:

- Automatic restoration of consumable hold items

- Copying over battle music from Platinum

- Reassigning/scripting Battle music for different battles/trainer classes (don't know how to do this yet)

- Platinum trainers' "VS" battle introductions (don't know how to do this yet)

- Changing the area music in the Battle Tower and Dojo (don't know how to do this yet)

- Adding in in-battle text for Trainers from Plat who had such text (don't know how to do this yet)

(any help with research on the above would be greatly appreciated)

Special Thanks:

Alpha for getting this project started, doing the primary scripting, and teaching me everything I know about ROM hacking.

Poryhack for the header icon, intro screen, logo, and other image/design support.

Codr for helping me get the last, custom battle sprites inserted.

wraith89 and randomspot555 for suggestions on team design.

SCV for help and support with pokeDSpic and PPRE.

CuleX for putting up with me talking about this so much.

Bond697 for some beta testing and awesome positive feedback.

Archive/Original Post

The other day, I realized how tedious it was going to be in order to find and register and call the HGSS Gym Leaders in order to "schedule" a rematch. Since I work normal work hours, some Gym Leaders would basically be impossible for me to call at the correct time.

So, I thought to myself, "Self, I wonder if it's possible to create a ROM hack with all the Gym Leaders in one location so you could just battle them whenever you want. And if THAT"s possible, why not include other trainers like the Elite Four or their counterparts from Platinum and put them all in the same place?"

So, I asked Alpha about this... and he immediately began working on it.

And that's how Pokemon Showdown was born!

May 8th Update:

All of the trainer team data has been completed. We will most likely do an initial release where the trainers not native to HGSS will be fought simply as standard trainers. We would like to include the correct music and "VS" transition for the Platinum trainers at some point.

However, we would need the following data:

- Which part of the trainer data determines battle music and intro transition (mug shot before battle)

- How to copy the above data from Platinum into HGSS, and change the values to point to the correct place

- We also need to know where trainer class data is located in the ROM

--August 3rd update--

While Alpha's "beta" patch has been released, we are very close to releasing a complete (albeit basic) version. This version will contain all of the planned trainers with their appropriate teams, battle sprites, etc.

--August 19 update--

The majority of the scripting is done. There are just a few more things to be straightened out, and we'll be ready for a release. I've added a "mini guide" to this post as well as some screenshots below.

--January 30 update--

-Beta 9 release-

I've finally decided to release the current version of Showdown as a beta (version 0.9).

The game is fully playable, but as stated before, trainers from the GBA games and the extra trainers I have added in do not have battle sprites when the battle begins. Their battles function just fine, but they have no sprite.

And we need the following creative help:

- A titlescreen/logo (Pory is handling this)

- A ROM header icon (done by Pory)

- Battle sprites for Charon and Looker made from their sprites in the Platinum intro sequence (and Oak, from his big sprite)

- HGSS compatible battle sprites for all Gen III listed trainers

- HGSS compatible overworld sprites for all Gen III listed trainers

Generation III sprites will just be at their native resolution, but need to be converted to a format to fit in HGSS. If anyone can help with battle sprites and overworld sprites, it'd really help out Alpha and I.

Completed:

Warps

Advanced Script Structure

All Trainers

Trainer Team Data

showdown01.png

showdown02.png

showdown06.png

showdown05.png

showdown04.png

showdown08.png

showdown07.png

showdown10.png

showdown13.png

patchlink..txt

showdown01.png.4744ac92e8394bbb572688061

showdown02.png.185aee94a58079c638c2854e0

showdown06.png.06003b6f304eb3ca2468f0fce

showdown05.png.39e80433ddb67870e3b9d8669

showdown04.png.bb2af7e7ddae192861b20c16f

showdown08.png.6fa7e6719d932e1fb7f28b049

showdown07.png.1605be9ccc16fccf15c668845

showdown10.png.e2d3d209917599242a0aadaa1

showdown13.png.d90ce97604786e01ff8518913

patchlink..txt

Edited by Guested
update feb 15 v1
  • Like 2

I looked at the 3rd Gen trainers' movesets briefly last night and realized they WILL need a pretty big overhaul because of the special/physical split in Gen IV. Also, the gym leader rematches in Hoenn were double battles, so a decision needs to be made on whether to have them THAT way, or simply single battles.

Anyone who wants to help with team ideas can just post them here as they complete them. We're not really dividing up tasks here, just post them if/when you make them.

But be warned: Any "standard" movesets or anything copied from places like smogon will be discarded immediately.

Anyone who wants to help with team ideas can just post them here as they complete them. We're not really dividing up tasks here, just post them if/when you make them.

But be warned: Any "standard" movesets or anything copied from places like smogon will be discarded immediately.

I'll edit this post later when I have time, to add the movesets.

I'll create the movesets from scratch and create some decent teams (like based on a certain move, Rain Dance for example). Any similarities with smogon are coincidence.

Hmmm, maybe the logo could have the heroes on one side of the screen, and the most popular of the battle-able people on the other side with flame in the middle and on the layer above the flames put the game name. That would be awesome!

So Kazo...

Since the ONLY trainers that we really need to be present in the ROM are the ones that will appear in the Frontier... would it be possible to edit/replace other trainer classes to accommodate the trainers from Sinnoh if we can bring thier intros and music over?

I looked at the 3rd Gen trainers' movesets briefly last night and realized they WILL need a pretty big overhaul because of the special/physical split in Gen IV. Also, the gym leader rematches in Hoenn were double battles, so a decision needs to be made on whether to have them THAT way, or simply single battles.

I could help with movesets I guess. I know the difference between what works in game and what stays for competitive battling.

Also, will Giovanni's ultimate Pokemon STILL be a level 50 Rhyhorn? Because... that kinda fails...

For other people's references: if you give the AI a combination of Rest + Sleep Talk, they will not use Sleep Talk twice but THRICE before they realize they woke up in two turns... which really blows.

EDIT: I forgot. There should be a HUGE revamp on Phoebe and Glacia's teams.

Dusclops/Banette/Sableye/Banette/Dusclops and Glalie/Sealeo/Sealeo/Glalie/Walrein doesn't look like an E4 type of team.

Hey all, I've been busy at work getting a nice banner file for the ROM. What that means is the ROM will have a new title (internal, not filename) and a new icon. The working icon is this: icon.png

Hmmm, maybe the logo could have the heroes on one side of the screen, and the most popular of the battle-able people on the other side with flame in the middle and on the layer above the flames put the game name. That would be awesome!

A titlescreen is next on my list, I'll consider these ideas as well as input from anybody else.

I'm done for the day. I added all the Johto leaders so far, and perfected my battle scripts. Although, I'm not sure what would happen if you win, because I only have a Lvl 7 Rattata and everyone just pwns it.

First post updated

I'd be able to drum up teams/movesets for all of these trainers by this time tomorrow. I'll post everything in this thread when I'm done.

But... can I make a request? If possible, could I implement the final product into my own hack project? It's just going to be privately distributed amongst some of my friends, not necessarily open to the public, so it wouldn't be like I was trying to take away from your hard work or steal your ideas or anything... I'm simply not good enough yet at hacking to be able to do something like this on my own...

You see, my project is basically made up of three parts: one, a revamped battle system (attacks, pokemon types/abilities/stats/movepools); two, all 3 starters will be Eevee; three, each gym leader/elite four trainer with a custom team and the name of a friend of mine (because they are the ones who will be playing it along with me). Now, I was already planning on using the built-in rematches, but something like THIS would be a lot of fun for them, since they could skip the phone call system and go fight their virtual avatars immediately.

So, what do you say?

if you guys can make it play battle intro A and battle music B for trainer class C, then sure.

Can you give us some more information on this?

How exactly is the intro tied to class? Each Gym Leader/E4/rival has their own intro with their own face, so wouldn't it be individually related? As far as battle music goes, we only really need to bring in

1) normal trainer battle (Plat)

2) Gym Leader Battle (Plat)

3) E4 Battle (Plat)

4) Champion Battle (Plat)

5) Rival Battle (Plat)

6) Galactic Admin (Plat)

7) Galactic Boss (Plat)

and possible GBA battle music, if someone can figure out how to adapt that for a DS game. I have no idea if that's possible.

Again, the intros and music are purely cosmetic and not 100% essential (but would be awesome).

Also, will Giovanni's ultimate Pokemon STILL be a level 50 Rhyhorn? Because... that kinda fails...

EDIT: I forgot. There should be a HUGE revamp on Phoebe and Glacia's teams.

Dusclops/Banette/Sableye/Banette/Dusclops and Glalie/Sealeo/Sealeo/Glalie/Walrein doesn't look like an E4 type of team.

This is something I'm looking at. What I think I'll do is for the GBA trainers (or other trainers) who have pokemon who gained new evolutions in Gen IV, I'll just go ahead and evolve those (like Dusclops and Rhydon). While some of these trainers will be losing their Hoenn/Kanto charm, we don't want this to be too easy. Any opinions on this? How do people feel about Giovanni with a Rhyperior, or Phoebe with a Dusknoir?

And for replacing the repeat Pokemon... I'll make changes, but I don't want Phoebe's team to too closely resemble Agatha's, or Glacia's to too closely resemble Lorelei's or Drake's to too closely resemble Lance's. So ... it'll involve some tough choices, I'm sure. Opinions?

I'm done for the day. I added all the Johto leaders so far, and perfected my battle scripts. Although, I'm not sure what would happen if you win, because I only have a Lvl 7 Rattata and everyone just pwns it.

First post updated

Great! That's an awesome start. So we know it's possible. I wonder ... is it possible to set the trainers so they can be battled repeatedly? It might be a pain to have to restart the save file to battle someone for a second time. Also, is it possible to remove prize money, since it's not needed?

I'd be able to drum up teams/movesets for all of these trainers by this time tomorrow. I'll post everything in this thread when I'm done.

But... can I make a request? If possible, could I implement the final product into my own hack project?

I don't know if it will be possible since we might have to remove certain parts of the ROM data to include Sinnoh trainers... if it's do-able, I have no problem with it, so it's up to Alpha.

Edited by Guested
added some music to the list

This is something I'm looking at. What I think I'll do is for the GBA trainers (or other trainers) who have pokemon who gained new evolutions in Gen IV, I'll just go ahead and evolve those (like Dusclops and Rhydon). While some of these trainers will be losing their Hoenn/Kanto charm, we don't want this to be too easy. Any opinions on this? How do people feel about Giovanni with a Rhyperior, or Phoebe with a Dusknoir?

And for replacing the repeat Pokemon... I'll make changes, but I don't want Phoebe's team to too closely resemble Agatha's, or Glacia's to too closely resemble Lorelei's or Drake's to too closely resemble Lance's. So ... it'll involve some tough choices, I'm sure. Opinions?

In the manga, I believe Giovanni had some "Book of Secrets" which kinda showed that Giovanni was the first to know that Rhydon could evolve. I don't know... the boss of Team Rocket having not a Rhydon but a Rhyhorn as his ultimate made me wonder what they were thinking when they made FRLG. He may also boot his first Rhyhorn for a Honchkrow that he has in HGSS and keep his Kangaskhan in-tact... so in the end he'll have a Kangaskhan, Honchkrow, Dugtrio, Nidoking, Nidoqueen and Rhydon/(perior?).

Yeah, I believe we can have some theme for each people. Like... Phoebe can get a Dusknoir... keep her Banette and Sableye and probably get something like a Spiritomb... maybe keep one of her original Dusclops in-tact or evolve it into a Dusknoir as well? Or perhaps the other forgotten Hoenn Ghost: Shedinja. Just a thought. Planned out so far: (Dusclops/Dusknoir/Mismagius/Shedinja)/Banette/Sableye/Spiritomb/Dusknoir

Glacia can have one of her Glalie be a Froslass, keep one of her other Glalie in-tact and maybe stick an Abomasnow someplace to give infinite hail. Her signature is still Walrein, but what to do with her two Sealeos... no idea. Probably something with the elegant theme like Jynx and... something not Lorelei/Candice/Pryce-esque. Pretty hard to think about... but not Glaceon or Lapras or Mamoswine... all I can think of is a duplicate Walrein or possibly Cloyster or Weavile and MAYBE Dewgong. Contemplating. So it'll look like (so far): Glalie/Abomasnow/Froslass/Jynx/(Walrein/Weavile/Cloyster)/Walrein

Funny thing: those gym leaders with their second rosters always seem to get Pokemon from other no region out of nowhere... so it's hard not to have rosters that look ridiculously similar, but you can change their overall strategies. Like Morty and Fantina... Morty had two Gengars and a Mismagius that Perishtrapped instead of Fantina's Mismagius which was a straight out sweeper one.

Edited by wraith89

This is true, we can adapt strategies. But we need to determine if Hoenn trainers can/should be double battles like their rematches were in Emerald. One trainer (Juan? Wallace?) had an awesome setup of several pokemon with Water Absorb.... but none knew Surf!!! So, that could be an interesting combo. Also, many of the Emerald rematches were all loaded up with Protect.

Giovanni's team will probably be based off his HGSS team, plus Rhydon/perior and Persian.

The rematches were double? o_O

I never got rematch calls so I had no idea.

Actually, if you make them doubles, it will set them apart from other gym leaders, so that may not be a bad idea at all.

And here is a proposal for Leaf's roster:

Leaf (Kanto based)

2m6alhf.png

Items: 2 Full Restores

Okay, so I was thinking about this and I was wondering if I should go with her manga counterpart or not. However, I realized Red and Blue/Green broke the rules and made their own roster that was completely manga independent, but rather based on having multiple different types. Therefore, Leaf will get a roster that is a lot like her two friends', but with different Pokemon. She focuses on... deceptive and cute Pokemon? Another thing to note is that many of her Pokemon evolve by Stone Evolution, a lot like her manga counterpart... so I tried to stay true to that theme too. Her main strategy is to... annoy you.

Slot 1:

Normal (Choice of 1 out of 3):

Red has Snorlax, Blue/Green has Pidgeot

Also Red has Pikachu so Clefable can be seen as its counterpart in a way.

Wigglytuff and Granbull taken from manga, but I'm personally leaning towards Clefable for this. What says you?

[hgsssprite]036[/hgsssprite]

Clefable (F) @ Sitrus Berry

Magic Guard

- Minimize

- Toxic

- Seismic Toss

- Ice Beam

[hgsssprite]040[/hgsssprite]

Wigglytuff (F) @ Sitrus Berry

Cute Charm

- Attract

- Hyper Voice

- Fire Blast

- Double Team

[hgsssprite]210[/hgsssprite]

Granbull (F) @ Sitrus Berry

Intimidate

- Double Team

- Thunder Wave

- Return

- Crunch

TWO Filler Pokemon:

I'm leaning towards Nidoqueen and Espeon, Nidoqueen after her manga counterpart, Espeon because Red doesn't have his anymore and let's put it somewhere. Plus it's an Eeveelution. Anything else that can go in here? Please do suggest.

Slot 2:

[hgsssprite]031[/hgsssprite]

Nidoqueen (F) @ Leftovers

Poison Point

- Attract

- Ice Beam

- Earth Power

- Toxic

Slot 3:

[hgsssprite]196[/hgsssprite]

Espeon (M)

Synchronize

- Reflect

- Psychic

- Calm Mind

- Shadow Ball

Slot 4:

Grass (Choice of 1 out of 2):

Between Victreebel or Vileplume... which one would work?

[hgsssprite]071[/hgsssprite]

Victreebel (F)

Chlorophyll

- Leaf Blade

- Leaf Storm

- Stun Spore

- Double Team

[hgsssprite]045[/hgsssprite]

Vileplume (F)

Chlorophyll

- Stun Spore

- Sludge Bomb

- Energy Ball

- Protect

Slot 5:

Fire (Choice of 1 out of 2):

I can't think of anything else aside from Ninetales that would fit

I based the set off my in-game one... except replacing Extrasensory with Energy Ball

I guess Rapidash might work too... but I like the deceptive Ninetales for this

[hgsssprite]038[/hgsssprite]

Ninetales (F)

Flash Fire

- Will-o-Wisp

- Confuse Ray

- Flamethrower

- Energy Ball

[hgsssprite]078[/hgsssprite]

Rapidash (F)

Flash Fire

- Bounce

- Double Team

- Overheat

- Will-o-Wisp

Slot 6:

Water (choice of 1 out of 5):

I would put Lapras for the water but Red already has one...

Her main was Blastoise in the manga, but Red has that too...

I put Azumarill here because it's a cute Pokemon... but since it is Johto it may not get elected. I'll put a lot of Pokemon here though and you can decide. I don't know, but is mixing a few Johto Pokes in a crime? I'm sure there will be no Hoenn/Sinnoh Pokemon in her roster though (aside from Kanto evos that are completed in Sinnoh). That's a given.

[hgsssprite]184[/hgsssprite]

Azumarill (F) @ Lum Berry

Huge Power

- Waterfall

- Substitute

- Focus Punch

- Attract

[hgsssprite]087[/hgsssprite]

Dewgong (F) @ Lum Berry

Thick Fat

- Encore

- Sheer Cold <--- for fun

- Surf

- Ice Beam

[hgsssprite]230[/hgsssprite]

Kingdra (F) @ Lum Berry

Swift Swim

- Rain Dance

- Dragon Pulse

- Surf

- Double Team

[hgsssprite]131[/hgsssprite]

Lapras (F) @ Lum Berry

Shell Armor

- Rain Dance

- Thunder

- Ice Beam

- Hydro Pump

[hgsssprite]009[/hgsssprite]

Blastoise (M) @ Lum Berry

Torrent

- Double Team

- Toxic

- Ice Beam

- Surf

EDIT: Proposal for Giovanni...

Giovanni

Based on HGSS and his former rosters in Gen I. No worries, his ultimate is no longer a regular Rhyhorn :/

Also, I took SOME liberties with some of his HGSS sets. It seems as if his Nidoking just kept his moves as if he evolved from a level 16 Nidorino.

Slot 1:

[hgsssprite]053[/hgsssprite]

Persian (M) @ Sitrus Berry

Technician

- Fake Out

- U-turn

- Shadow Claw

- Return

Strategy: His beloved Persian... just there to annoy you and get free hits on you.

Slot 2:

I am contemplating between Dugtrio and Kangaskhan... although trapper Dugtrio sounds fun after Persian U-turns out. But the kangaroo makes a return in HGSS, so it may just stick there.

[hgsssprite]051[/hgsssprite]

Dugtrio (M)

Arena Trap

- Earthquake

- Sucker Punch

- Mud-Slap

- Rock Slide

Strategy: Trap and kill...

[hgsssprite]115[/hgsssprite]

Kangaskhan (F)

Early Bird

- Outrage

- Hammer Arm

- Body Slam

- Sucker Punch

Strategy: The Kangaroo is here to... attack? Her movelist is still kept in-tact, aside from Dizzy Punch and Leer replaced with Hammer Arm and Body Slam.

Slot 3:

[hgsssprite]430[/hgsssprite]

Honchkrow (M)

Insomnia

- Nasty Plot

- Swagger

- Dark Pulse

- Heat Wave

Strategy: Swagger, Nasty Plot, then sweep. Shadow Ball was redundant to Dark Pulse so it got replaced with Heat Wave. Although... Cyrus's Honchkrow had Heat Wave... so I'm not sure if this is okay...

Slot 4:

[hgsssprite]034[/hgsssprite]

Nidoking (M)

Poison Point

- Shadow Claw

- Earthquake

- Rock Slide

- Thunderpunch

Strategy: I don't get it. In Gen I his Nidorino evolved in his final battle and turned out stronger than his Nidoqueen that he had from early game. Now in HGSS his Nidoking is weaker than Nidoqueen and has a really weak moveset. What's going on? Anyways, Nidoking attacks physically... keeping Shadow Claw and Double Kick in-tact. He now gets Earthquake as a good STAB option and Thunderpunch to keep Water Pokemon at bay.

Slot 5:

[hgsssprite]031[/hgsssprite]

Nidoqueen (F)

Poison Point

- Shadow Ball

- Superpower

- Earth Power

- Roar

Strategy: Giovanni always has his Nidoqueen with him. To differentiate from her male counterpart, she uses special attacks instead... and Superpower is just there as an emergency resort. I guess Roar is just there for phazing purposes? I don't know... I kept her movelist similar to her HGSS counterpart, only replacing Crunch with Shadow Ball. Crunch was there to resort with Ghosts I guess, but it got weaker and weaker from Superpower.

Slot 6:

[hgsssprite]464[/hgsssprite]

Rhyperior (M) @ Passho Berry

Solid Rock

- Rock Polish

- Stone Edge

- Earthquake

- Megahorn

Strategy: Passho Berry is there to reduce damage from water moves on impact. He Rock Polishes and gets to a very high level of speed and demolishes your Pokemon... I guess. Bad idea? There are so many ways to make a set for this guy... you can decide I suppose.

Edited by wraith89
Updated Leaf's sprite... still uses Kotone's palette... might need to change to Red's...

Great! That's an awesome start. So we know it's possible. I wonder ... is it possible to set the trainers so they can be battled repeatedly? It might be a pain to have to restart the save file to battle someone for a second time. Also, is it possible to remove prize money, since it's not needed?

Fortunately, I was too lazy to add the part that kept you from rebattling. So as many battles as you want. I don't plan on touching money to start.

Can you give us some more information on this?

How exactly is the intro tied to class? Each Gym Leader/E4/rival has their own intro with their own face, so wouldn't it be individually related? As far as battle music goes, we only really need to bring in

1) normal trainer battle (Plat)

2) Gym Leader Battle (Plat)

3) E4 Battle (Plat)

4) Champion Battle (Plat)

5) Rival Battle (Plat)

and possible GBA battle music, if someone can figure out how to adapt that for a DS game. I have no idea if that's possible.

Again, the intros and music are purely cosmetic and not 100% essential (but would be awesome).

I looked at the trainer data in PPRE and for trainer class there is a few occurrences of Leader in the class list. I am guessing each one goes to each gym leader. I bet if you change one gym leader to anther Leader class, it will show another person's face.