Wondering what to expect from a competitor at the Official Pokemon tournaments?

No survey was taken. No data was collected. And with the lottery system, you don't know what the teams that didn't compete looked liked.

That being said, if you want to win, you probably want every advantage you can get. Start with good natures and a diverse move selection (involving egg moves and move tutor moves if need be) for your Pokemon. Then get as good IVs as possible. Then EV train.

If you learn how to RNG, it'll help greatly. It has not been cracked for HG/SS, but has been for D/P/Plat.

Do most winners have pokemn with IVs of all 31?

What would you say is a typical winning pokemon in the way of IVs

Thanks!

Wouldn't a whole team of 31 IV Pokemon count as "hacked"? I mean, technically it is possible, but it seems way too outlandish. In fact, those are the types of people I tend to avoid (let alone possessing the PERFECT Hidden Powers as well).

Anyhow, we have no idea what IVs every Pokemon in that tournament had. Just try beneficial natures... and 2-3 IVs in the 30s range should be good enough. If you CAN get 4, great. Then EV train them the way you desire them to be.

You wouldn't believe it but some people are actually non-competitive... using stuff like Strength Kangaskhan or Rock Climb Hariyama or Surf Rhyperior of all things... (at least that is what I hear)

Expect uber Pokemon, and whole teams of them. I participated in a local tournament at Gamestop and that's all I fought were legendaries. Not totally sure about official Pokemon tournaments, but I doubt they have rules against uber Pokemon (since tiers are unofficial.)

Expect uber Pokemon, and whole teams of them. I participated in a local tournament at Gamestop and that's all I fought were legendaries. Not totally sure about official Pokemon tournaments, but I doubt they have rules against uber Pokemon (since tiers are unofficial.)

they have some restrictions

there on the pokemon web site

i think its pokemon like arceus, shaymin, dakrai that kan only be obtained via events

and i think the other ubers are limited to one or two per team

If its an official tournament, you will get some serious competition at the higher levels. Most competitions are taken by smogon battlers with good teams; I remember the VGS in Seattle was. You'll find a lot of people don't bother seriously raising teams but it is certainly worth properly making a team. If possible, avoid hacks. Also avoid legendaries because they're much more difficult to pokesav and Nintendo's hack checks are much more serious then those on the GTS. Straight 31 IVs are not banned, but Nintendo will scrutinize your pokemon much more carefully if you use them.