Gen IV Pokémon Legality Guide

Greencat

Hey, i've got from trade Chikorita, but it's parent was cheated (master ball, route 203). Is that Chikorita legit, or should I get rid of it?

Obviously that "poorly made" Chikorita was not a legit. I'd say get rid of it since you've access to PokeSav, and on Wifi you'd be deemed as a hacker to those ignorant people. And other hackers would markedly be criticizing that poor PokeSav made and how you've traded over something for it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@ danhomer No that's not a particularly good sign, although i imagine you're not too far from a legal PID. Which answers:

@ zenskii No that doesn't count as legal, as it wouldn't occur in game naturally.

@ RollingStar Pokesav generates a new legit PID for you when you randomly put those IVs in, as far as i'm aware.

@ Nova Phoenix No Ageto Celebi should always come up as unknown gba type, your one has been hacked :( Check this link in the future: http://www.projectpokemon.org/editing/legalitychecker.php

@ Gokufan That shiny ho-oh is a hack, it should be Common GBA Type (A-B-C-D) [possibly may have misremembered the letter order, but i'm pretty sure that's right]. Uknown GBA type pokemon are hacks except in rare cases (such as the Ageto celebi ironically).

Hope that you're all happy with those answers!

Now to ask the noobiest question of all. I'm trying to get to know legal pokemon generation better (I've got a fair bit of experience now) and understand what i'm doing. But due to the way pokesav works, when i use one of the generated shiny PID/IV combinations and select shiny, I then have to manually input the pid and by doing this, pokesav makes it not shiny anymore. What have I done wrong? Or is it that the only reason pokesav stops it being shiny is because the supposed shiny pids generated are actually normal pokemon's PIDs? That's what i think but wouldn't explain why the shiny PIDs i'm getting from SCV's PID generator (as well as PokeGen, I tried both) is only giving me normal PIDs.

I'd really appreciate some help here, I feel the answer is staring me in the face and i'm just not seeing it :D

• 4 months later...

Question, if you create a pokemon out of nothing with Pokesav (So you don't edit your current legit pokemon but just click "edit" on an empty pokemon spot in pokesav), do you still need to normalize trashbytes? or is this only when you edit pokemon that already exicst?

• 1 month later...

Okay, I just have two questions, because I am getting a little frustrated...

The legality checker says my pokemon are good (all of them either common nds or common gba), and yet when I use them on battle revo they aren't being accepted...

What am I doing wrong? It all says valid, and they aren't making it through.

Also, I used the platinum one because I am doing my work on an R4, but because it won't connect to the wii to send them straight from there, I had to trade to a SoulSilver.... is that making a difference?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
i would say that it's almost impossible to get all 31 IV to get it in the game .. why??

because maybe you will only got it after hatching 1 billion or maybe trillion eggs xD XD

except you hack the parent to all 31 IV first and try to produce a "legal" one in the game xD XD ... then it will be possible xD XD .. with enough luck :)

wait do you really think that using a code to max out the parents IVs will work because because every time i tried to breed a pokemon with a hacked nature and an everstone it just kept getting the nature the parent would have had if i hadn't used the nature modifier.

• 4 months later...