HG/SS .pkm Pokémon Data Structure 0x87 Value ~ Research Topic

MarkusE

Have we ever properly figured out what the 0x87 .pkm value is supposed to represent?

Given these parameters

- Dex No.

- Nature

- IV(hp, atk, def, spe, spa, spd)

- EV(hp, atk, def, spe, spa, spd)

- Pokéathlon base stats(speed, pow, skill, stam, jump)

- 0x87 value

we should be able to generate all the info shown on the "performance" screen:

dxl5x.png

If a Pokémon has never participated in the Pokéathlon even once, the value is, of course, initialised to 0. Once it has participated for the first time, assuming it hasn't taken any Aprishakes, the value is set to 0x7F. However, after taking the Aprishakes, that's when the confusion starts: the value appears to jump erratically (I've gotten 0x30-something and 0x50-something from taking the same Aprishake)

This offset is not editable from PokeSAV. However, I think most sophisticated hackers here have (hopefully) moved beyond that by now :)

I think it'd be advantageous for the community if we got this figured out :) I'll do some more testing later.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that 0x87 is the last used byte (with nonzero values) in the PKM data structure that we haven't completely figured out at this point. :smile:

0x04-05, 0x42-43, 0x5E and 0x64-67 are almost certainly just padding, not unknown. The whole world (including some very dedicated Japanese hackers on 2ch) have been trying to find nonzero values for those bytes since D/P came out four years ago...and nothing. The fact that they tend to be placed at or near the end of a 0x20 encryption block suggests that they are most likely filler bytes.

• 2 months later...