Can two pokemon legally have the same PID?

Makar

This is sorta a respond to my post in this thread (which hasn't been answered yet btw): http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?7695-HELP-Trying-to-change-nature-on-legal-pokemon-and-keeping-the-legality

I tried to do it myself by picking a different PID that had my Nature and Type that I wanted. I want 4 of my pokemon to have Modest Nature, and when I put the same IVs for two pokemon, the generator returns the same PID for the Modest Nature. Is it legal/okay to do this? If I'm doing this all wrong, please tell me. I'm trying to change the Nature of my pokemon while still keeping it legit.

Mewtwo.pkm

Lugia.pkm

Mewtwo.pkm

Lugia.pkm

Let's say I caught a Rattata and it had this PID.

How would your game know this PID alerady is used by my Rattata?

You got a point there, never really thought of it that way lol.

So I guess I'm changing the natures correctly then...

Technically, it can have the same PID. However, the chances of having TWO Pokemon with the SAME PID is probably harder to find than a shiny. I say this because there are multiple PIDs for the same set of IVs... And again, finding a pokemon that's exactly the same as another is suspicious... However, no one would actually check that far into the Pokemon, so you can have the same PID without any problems arising.

Technically, it can have the same PID. However, the chances of having TWO Pokemon with the SAME PID is probably harder to find than a shiny. I say this because there are multiple PIDs for the same set of IVs... And again, finding a pokemon that's exactly the same as another is suspicious... However, no one would actually check that far into the Pokemon, so you can have the same PID without any problems arising.

Well I only play with irl friends most of the time and they have no idea what PIDs are so I'm good there. The only thing that may get me in trouble in online tournaments is the fact that I have 4 pokemon of the same nature in my party that benefit me since I only have one type of attack and not the other (Special or Physical).

I also agree with lordkira, one of the sites I go to is full of RNG abusers so I guess it would be ok.

• 1 year later...

Oh, and:

Either the person really got two of the exact same Spinda, which would mean same PID, either the person used Enciclopedia Pokemon or something to clone and edit a Spinda.

The chance for that is 1 : 4.2 billion.

Therefore, it's not legally possible.

You contradict yourself.

If there are chances, even small chances, then it should be legally possible.

Just EXTREMELY unlikely.

I can see why you would doubt the Pokémon's legitimacy, though.

Unless two people get the same PID by RNGing (Is it possible?)

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...
If they are the same species I don't see how Nintendo/Gamefreak would be able to tell two legal Pokemon with the same pids apart as they would have exactly the same attributes if they were legal.

I know it is a bad example for your query but think of the official events that Nintendo/Gamefreak distributes especially the non-legendary ones, those Pokemon like the goon scizor are legal Pokemon even if you have 2 of them in your party (one you received via event the other traded with you having the same pid). The rules of legality of Pokemon is more of a conventional and implied type of rule on the part of gamefreak and us players.

Let's put this issue in a simple format (couldn't really come up with the right words to use). Think of PIDs as fingerprints(interestingly, the odds for the same pids and fingerpints seem to be close). It's a very, very(just going to end the very's here since it would be a lot of them) rare to have two people with the same one, but when two people have to same one, does that mean they are the same person? No, even if your twins you still most likely not have the same fingerprints, same goes for PIDs...

No, even if your twins you still most likely not have the same fingerprints, same goes for PIDs...

really interesting point and analogy. and I think that is also the reason Gamfreak invented Effort values (EV) in the games . lets say for example you received Identical eggs of Pokemon having the same PID but once they hatch and you raise them chances are they wont have the same output stats.

• 2 weeks later...