Heart Gold/Soul Silver Help and Small Questions thread

randomspot555

Hoping I'm wrong about this... but has the PC storage system in Hg/Ss dropped the ability to move groups of Pokemon en masse around or between boxes? I've done everything i can think of with both the buttons and touch screen, and nothing I do will select more than a single Pokemon or get that little glove selector to turn yellow.

I've noticed a similar deficiency in the Items Bag, as far as attempts to organize the list goes... particularly the main section, as it potentially holds such a large number of things once you've collected all the hold items, fossils, evo stones, etc. The grid display is great for finding things, but the Select button no longer allows you to choose an item and shift it wherever you'd like. You now have to tap the item, go down to tap "move", then keep tapping as you scroll to find where you want it to go, and then the final tap to get it in place.

Hg/Ss seem to retain all the other button functionalities from the previous games... so are these there and I'm just not seeing the way it's done? Or was GF really so eager to making everything functional through the touch screen that they sacrificed the ease with which the bag and PC could be organized before?

They made a number of incredibly stupid decisions revolving around the touch screen, and that was one of them. The butchering of the lower screen's convenient Poketch app access in exchange for a cumbersome and annoying menu interface (I liked being able to have the Itemfinder on all the time without having to reinitialize it after every battle/doorway). The change to them item menu, which made finding and organizing any items two hundred times more painful (and it wasn't exactly great to begin with, given how many items there were). Having the side buttons (sprint and registered items) not be availible via button menu scrolling. Having to select the phone option on the menu every time you get an incoming call, rather than auto-answering. Having to double select every time a choice comes up because the game can't understand that a lot of people don't want to use the cumbersome and annoying touch controls...

Rather than selecting each Pokemon, then selecting "Move", however, you can just hit the "Move" button before selecting any Pokemon, then one click will pick a Pokemon up, and a second will drop it.

This game's removal of easy to use features in exchange for promoting the touch screen is probably the single biggest problem it has.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've reached the point of Lugia and I haven't beaten Silver version in forever. Are we forced to capture/kill Lugia right now?I'd rather ignore it until later but it wont allow me to head to the League.

Nvm I killed it. I'll catch ti later on.

Edited by Izzi1r

Tried making a thread but think there are too many threads in moderation queue so perhaps a post will suffice. :P

Just a quick respons to Izzi1r: unless you plan to restart the game, you can't meet Lugia once you kill it I believe... or did they change a fundamental feature in HGSS? :3

Anyway my post is about getting to Lugia the quickest way possible:

You need Surf, Whirlpool and preferably Flash. Also you must have fought the kimono girls in Ecruteak City in order to actually meet Lugia. And you must have the 8 Johto badges.

1. Go/fly to Olivine City

2. Head south-west (to the beach)

3. Start surfing along the right side all the way down...

4. Once you see the first whirl of water, use Whirlpool to get across!

5. Enter the cave, follow the path until the road splits, take the north side!

6. Follow the path, first ladder you see is where you want to enter!

There it is, hope it helps! :)

Apologies if this is the wrong area to ask this, but since it somewhat pertains to Soul Silver/ Heart Gold I figured it's my best bet.

If I'm looking for a place to talk about trading, is there a thread on this site where I could do that? I looked for a little but was unsuccessful. Thanks

I'm trying to evolve a pokemon via happiness as early as possible (so walking to max happiness at level 1, then gain a level) I am assuming that talking to the pokemon displays different messages depending on its happiness like in yellow, what sort of messages should I be expecting to see at max happiness?

Right now I'm getting stuff along the lines of "Riolu is jumping for joy!" "Woah! Riolu suddenly hugged you!" "Riolu is coming along happily!" etc.

Apologies if this is the wrong area to ask this, but since it somewhat pertains to Soul Silver/ Heart Gold I figured it's my best bet.

If I'm looking for a place to talk about trading, is there a thread on this site where I could do that? I looked for a little but was unsuccessful. Thanks

We closed the Wi-Fi trading forum (and the Wi-Fi Battle forum) because this forum just doesn't have that big of a Wi-Fi community at this point.

There are stickied threads for each in D/P/Plat discussion forums.

You can also make Pokesav Pokemon requests in Pokemon Requests and request that they be traded to you via Wi-Fi.

Has anyone been able to catch Heracross ? I can only find Aipom and Spearrow through Headbutt :/

I caught one in azalea town. Fly back there and there is a tree by Kurt's house where you can headbutt and find a heracross. It was a pain to catch, I suggest you have netballs.

When would Zapdos appear outside of the power plant? Do I have to beat Cerulean Gym first or something?

To get Zapdos, you need the Earth badge.

I caught one in azalea town. Fly back there and there is a tree by Kurt's house where you can headbutt and find a heracross. It was a pain to catch, I suggest you have netballs.

Thanks a lot :D, I caught one there and another one at the beginning of Route 42.

Thanks a lot :D, I caught one there and another one at the beginning of Route 42.

Anytime :)

I'm trying to evolve a pokemon via happiness as early as possible (so walking to max happiness at level 1, then gain a level) I am assuming that talking to the pokemon displays different messages depending on its happiness like in yellow, what sort of messages should I be expecting to see at max happiness?

Right now I'm getting stuff along the lines of "Riolu is jumping for joy!" "Woah! Riolu suddenly hugged you!" "Riolu is coming along happily!" etc.

I'm not entirely sure if you can tell by what they say when interact with them... but... I know of a way where you can tell. There is a happiness rater in Goldenrod city, she's north of the bike shop. She will take the pokemon in the first slot of your party and rate their happiness.

She would say one of the following things listed below:

Sentence Happiness

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It looks really happy! It must love you a lot." 250-255

"I get the feeling that it really trusts you." 200-249

"It's friendly toward you. It looks sort of happy." 150-199

"It's quite cute." 100-149

"You should treat it better. It's not used to you." 50-99

"It doesn't seem to like you at all. It looks mean." 0-49

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The numbers mean how high their happiness points are. Of course, you would want them to be as high as possible to get your riolu to evolve. If the points are not as high as they can be you could do some of the things listed below:

Walking 256 steps +1 +2

Massage, Veilstone City +3 +5

Massage, Ribbon Syndicate +5 +6

Using vitamins +2 +6

Gaining a level +2 +6

Using EV Berries +2 +6

Using healing items +1 +2

The first number is how much the happiness points would increase by. The second number is how much the happiness points would increase by if the pokemon was caught in a luxury ball or a friend ball (green apricorn).

I hope this helped.

Has anyone been able to catch Heracross ? I can only find Aipom and Spearrow through Headbutt :/

I got Heracross, on the route where you find Sudowoodo blocking the way (36, I think?). Just a random tree along the side of the route.

Also, Pokemonfan, IIRC, the Friend Ball does not have the passive effect that the Luxury Ball has. It just makes the Friendship of any Pokemon you catch equal 200 when you catch it, with no continuing boost after that, doesn't it?

hey i was wondering if there is a calculator to check ur trainer id so u can tell what trainer u can look like, instead of playing until violet city and having to start over if u dont have the right one. i ask because i want to have my trainer look like a bug trainer. im crazy i know.

I found a level 3 Heracross at Azalea Town (behind Kurt's house and in courtesy of UnderXRay). I tried looking elsewhere and only got Spearows and Aipoms at the mountainous routes even if I used to get Heracross up there back in the original GSC. I understand your frustration since everyone else could find Hera and I couldn't... so try headbutting at Kurt's place.

I found a level 3 Heracross at Azalea Town (behind Kurt's house and in courtesy of UnderXRay). I tried looking elsewhere and only got Spearows and Aipoms at the mountainous routes even if I used to get Heracross up there back in the original GSC. I understand your frustration since everyone else could find Hera and I couldn't... so try headbutting at Kurt's place.

I found mine at Kurt's. I tried for 20 minutes to catch one of those dumb things and wasted all my pokeballs! It killed itself using struggle, but I came back a couple badges later and captured it with ease. Thank goodness for butterfree and sleep powder :).

Could someone please list off all of suicunes locations in Johto and Kanto? Just need to know for sure:kikkoman:

Um... if I have this right...

1) Cianwood City

2) Route 42 (requires Surf and Cut to access Suicune)

3) Vermilion City (once you reach there via S.S. Aqua)

4) Route 14 (or 15?)

5) Cerulean Cape (you need all 16 badges first and you finally fight it)

Question for everyone... what triggers Groudon's appearance in Soul Silver/Kyogre's appearance in Heart Gold? I have all 16 badges but there is nothing there... would I require some sort of item or whatnot?

EDIT: Never mind... found out somehow :/

You get Ho-oh once you beat all of the Kimono girls.

they give you a Clear Bell.

then you go to the Bell Tower and after a cut-scene Ho-oh appears and you get to battle it.

Hope that helps :)

Edit: Just noticed you said you found the answer already >.<

WHERE in the world is the Old Rod? I go the Good Rod and realized....I missed the Old somewhere....I seem to do this every game; help!

The Fisherman at the Pokemon Center right next to the entrance of Union Cave (from Violet City) has it (more specifically, Route 32).