Heart Gold/Soul Silver Help and Small Questions thread

randomspot555

• All Project Pokemon rules apply.
  • This is for (game) help and small questions. If you discuss a subject for more than a few posts, consider starting a thread.
  • Please be specific as possible and search Google and the forums/site before posting a question.

Also, useful pictures:

ifshw2.jpg

15g9wme.png

And finally, a super useful picture:

23u380w.gif

To post about stuff you're doing in the game right this moment, go to the Current Happenings thread.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few questions. First of all, I haven't really played pokemon much since the original Gold/Silver versions. I have zero understanding of IVs/EVs, and have questions about breeding/stats.

In G/S/C on GBC, if you had a shiny ditto and left it at daycare with another pokemon, supposedly the egg would have a 1/64 chance of being shiny as opposed to the normal 1/8192. Say I would get a shiny ditto in HG/SS, what would the odds of the baby being shiny be?

Second question, on GBC you could deposit a Lvl 100 pokemon in a box after a series of battles (say Elite Four + Red + Trainer House) and have all the visible stats raise a bit. Will this work in HG/SS as well and does it work in the same way?

Thanks.

I have a few questions. First of all, I haven't really played pokemon much since the original Gold/Silver versions. I have zero understanding of IVs/EVs, and have questions about breeding/stats.

If you don't think you'll ever utilize them, such as in the Battle Frontier or in Wi-Fi play or official tournaments, then you don't have to. But they've always been in the games.

In G/S/C on GBC, if you had a shiny ditto and left it at daycare with another pokemon, supposedly the egg would have a 1/64 chance of being shiny as opposed to the normal 1/8192. Say I would get a shiny ditto in HG/SS, what would the odds of the baby being shiny be?

Same 1/8000 chance. However, a Pokemon from your game + a Pokemon from a different country's game obtained via a trade will reduce the chance of the egg being shiny from 1/8000 to about 1/2000. This is known as the Masuda method, named after the programmer who revealed it. You can read more about it here.

Second question, on GBC you could deposit a Lvl 100 pokemon in a box after a series of battles (say Elite Four + Red + Trainer House) and have all the visible stats raise a bit. Will this work in HG/SS as well and does it work in the same way?

It's not just a level 100 Pokemon. It's any Pokemon. The EVs will be recalculated into the visible stats every time you put it into the PC.

When do you find the move relearner and when do you get the experience share?

Exp. share is given by Mr. Pokemon when you give him a Red Scale. Get a Red Scale by matching three #s at the Goldenrod lottery.

Blackthorn city. He's in the same house as a move tutor and a move deleter. The move re-learner accepts Heart Scales.

Exp. share is given by Mr. Pokemon when you give him a Red Scale. Get a Red Scale by matching three #s at the Goldenrod lottery.

The Red Scale is actually obtained right after the battle with the Red Gyarados. You're thinking of getting an Exp. Share directly from the lottery, not the Red Scale. But your right about giving it to Mr. Pokémon.

My question: Is there a guide somewhere with a comprehensive list of items found by the Dowsing MCHN (Itemfinder)? Pokéarth isn't that specific with the exact locations.

Hoping I'm wrong about this... but has the PC storage system in Hg/Ss dropped the ability to move groups of Pokemon en masse around or between boxes? I've done everything i can think of with both the buttons and touch screen, and nothing I do will select more than a single Pokemon or get that little glove selector to turn yellow.

I've noticed a similar deficiency in the Items Bag, as far as attempts to organize the list goes... particularly the main section, as it potentially holds such a large number of things once you've collected all the hold items, fossils, evo stones, etc. The grid display is great for finding things, but the Select button no longer allows you to choose an item and shift it wherever you'd like. You now have to tap the item, go down to tap "move", then keep tapping as you scroll to find where you want it to go, and then the final tap to get it in place.

Hg/Ss seem to retain all the other button functionalities from the previous games... so are these there and I'm just not seeing the way it's done? Or was GF really so eager to making everything functional through the touch screen that they sacrificed the ease with which the bag and PC could be organized before?

Which games do you need to complete the Pokédex 100 % (excluding unobtainables which may only be obtained through official events)

Do you really need Ruby AND Sapphire AND Emerald AND FireRed AND LeafGreen AND Diamond AND Pearl AND Platinum AND HeartGold AND SoulSilver?

Or which ones do you need? Out of the GBA-games I only have Emerald for example. Do I need both R/S as well and both FR/LG etc.

Ugh, Too many games and too much money if I need all of those for sure.

Which games do you need to complete the Pokédex 100 % (excluding unobtainables which may only be obtained through official events)

Do you really need Ruby AND Sapphire AND Emerald AND FireRed AND LeafGreen AND Diamond AND Pearl AND Platinum AND HeartGold AND SoulSilver?

Or which ones do you need? Out of the GBA-games I only have Emerald for example. Do I need both R/S as well and both FR/LG etc.

Ugh, Too many games and too much money if I need all of those for sure.

No, you don't need FR/LG, because you can get all Gen I Pokémon in the game;

You may need DPPt to get some Generation IV Pokémon [use the GTS (or something similar) to get version exclusives].

I'm not too sure about RSE, though.

Hoping I'm wrong about this... but has the PC storage system in Hg/Ss dropped the ability to move groups of Pokemon en masse around or between boxes?

That was so useful in D/P/Plat. But I'm fairly certain it's been dropped in HG/SS.

Totally worth it though. They really utilized the touch screen, and I love it.

Every single legendary Pokemon is available within Platinum, Heart Gold, and Soul Silver. Some may require an in-game event to be triggered, or download an event via mystery gift. I'll outline these below (note when I say Movie Event, I'm also referring to subsequent events that were held in the US, Australia, and Europe as well as the actual movie event in Japan):

Golem Trio: In Platinum triggered by the Movie/TRU event Regigias.

Darkrai: Movie event, key item was distributed. also had an event in the second Ranger game.

Shaymin: Same as above except no Ranger game event.

Arceus: Movie event.

Jirachi: Recent event distributed.

Celebi: Will likely be the upcoming movie event.

Phione: Breed Manaphy or Phione with Ditto.

Manaphy: Movie event, any Ranger game.

Deoxys: Movie event, also will be able to be transferred in Ranger 3.

Rayquaza: Have both HG/SS Kyogre and HG/SS Groudon to capture him in Johto.

Mew: From Ranch and periodic events.

Everything else is in the 4th gen games.

Everything besides Sinnoh starters are available in HG/SS.

As for non-legendary Pokemon, I have HEARD that between Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, and Soul Silver, all Pokemon can be captured. Of course, you might not need all of them if you have some of the 3rd gen games to activate Pokemon found via the Dongle method

Also, be cautious about buying used 3rd gen games. there are a lot of bootlegs out there, and online sellers on Ebay/Amazon are not obligated to accept returns or give you a refund. If you do buy online, buy from a store that also has actual retail outlets so you can get there and at least return it for store credit.

Edited by randomspot555

For the Arceus event, is it a specific Arceus that needs to be used, or will any Arceus suffice? Because I've heard both ways and just need clarification...and if it is a specific one, where could I find a wondercode or something to bring it to Diamond to later transfer to SS?

For the Arceus event, is it a specific Arceus that needs to be used, or will any Arceus suffice? Because I've heard both ways and just need clarification...and if it is a specific one, where could I find a wondercode or something to bring it to Diamond to later transfer to SS?

It has to have the Pokemon Event flag checked.

AR codes can be found in the RAM Editing forum.

Yeah, I think the part of the point of releasing Hg/Ss was to finally make every Pokemon obtainable without players having to rely on GBA generation games for Pal Parking, etc. Similarly, Fr/Lg made all the 386 Pokemon of that time catchable without needing either of the Gamecube games.

That was so useful in D/P/Plat. But I'm fairly certain it's been dropped in HG/SS.

Totally worth it though. They really utilized the touch screen, and I love it.

That's such a shame, and it's really my only major gripe so far with Hg/Ss. Aside from that, Im loving the game.

Removing it just doesn't make any sense, to me. Keeping the way the buttons worked in D/P/Pt in addition to the new touchscreen features wouldn't have caused any problems. Organizing PC boxes isn't going to be very easy this time around... it's lucky I've been using the same basic arrangement since R/S/E. If I start early, before there are too many Pokemon in the PC, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to get it ordered.

As for non-legendary Pokemon, I have HEARD that between Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, and Soul Silver, all Pokemon can be captured. Of course, you might not need all of them if you have some of the 3rd gen games to activate Pokemon found via the Dongle method

Didn't know about Dongle Method, only knew of "trade" from Pal Park. Will Dongle work on HG/SS or will it be the same as playing the radio stations?

Hoping I'm wrong about this... but has the PC storage system in Hg/Ss dropped the ability to move groups of Pokemon en masse around or between boxes? I've done everything i can think of with both the buttons and touch screen, and nothing I do will select more than a single Pokemon or get that little glove selector to turn yellow.

I've noticed a similar deficiency in the Items Bag, as far as attempts to organize the list goes... particularly the main section, as it potentially holds such a large number of things once you've collected all the hold items, fossils, evo stones, etc. The grid display is great for finding things, but the Select button no longer allows you to choose an item and shift it wherever you'd like. You now have to tap the item, go down to tap "move", then keep tapping as you scroll to find where you want it to go, and then the final tap to get it in place.

Hg/Ss seem to retain all the other button functionalities from the previous games... so are these there and I'm just not seeing the way it's done? Or was GF really so eager to making everything functional through the touch screen that they sacrificed the ease with which the bag and PC could be organized before?

Yes, I do believe these handy functions have disappeared, or like with the bag, have become more complicated. I too am very sad about the inefficiency in PC organization in HG/SS because I'm already hoarding pokemon -_-. So, better start organizing soon or it will be a big project later.

~

I think the radio stations will be similar to the dongle method. Of course, what pokemon you will be able to obtain I believe are different.

I've looked but haven't been able to find anything. Do you have any specific links in mind, Spotty? It might just be the fact that I'm half braindead and tired from a long day as it is. What kind of Arceus is this, anyways...a TRU? Or was this the Arceus that got distributed back in.....November was it...? Just curious.

I've looked but haven't been able to find anything. Do you have any specific links in mind, Spotty? It might just be the fact that I'm half braindead and tired from a long day as it is. What kind of Arceus is this, anyways...a TRU? Or was this the Arceus that got distributed back in.....November was it...? Just curious.

Any event distributed Arceus.

Movie 12 in Japan.

TRU in US

and there's also a current (or very recent past) distribution in Europe going on right now.