Pokemon: The Anime

So I don't know what your experience is, but I was around when Pokemon first came to the US. I was actually growing up. The anime was even my first exposure to Pokemon, because I never owned a Pokemon game until Fire Red (about a month or so before D/P came out in the US), and had only rented Red from blockbuster years back.

So about a year ago, I waxed nostalgic on the anime and viewed the older episodes.

Wow, what a load of crap.

Like many other shows I've re-visited, it didn't hold up. Shoddy animation, pretty poor voice acting, extremely repetitive. I know Pokemon, the franchise as a whole, has a certian amoung of formulaic crap, but man...Kanto and Orange and Johto are BAD.

But then I tuned into Diamond and Pearl, and what is currently Battle Dimension.

Instead of a bunch of characters that show up and are never heard from again, they keep coming back. Sometimes for just 1-3 episodes in the near future. Or other times they show up throughout the whole saga.

The voice acting is greatly improved (many will disagree). The animation too. Stuff actually happens. Pokemon have personalities, and it's like I care about the characters.

It's still a kids' show. But for a kids' show, it's doing a pretty good job with the hand it's been dealt with.

What's your experience with the anime?

I'd talk about the movies, but to me, they've universally all sucked.

Funny, I would say my experience has been the opposite of yours regarding older episodes versus more recent fare. I definitely enjoyed the Kanto and Johto arcs more than the Sinnoh stories. Hoenn wasn't my favorite, either, though.

I think this is because Misty > Dawn.

Also, Ash is a complete and utter moron. Just puttin' that out there.

Funny, I would say my experience has been the opposite of yours regarding older episodes versus more recent fare. I definitely enjoyed the Kanto and Johto arcs more than the Sinnoh stories. Hoenn wasn't my favorite, either, though.

I think this is because Misty > Dawn.

Also, Ash is a complete and utter moron. Just puttin' that out there.

But have you actually WATCHED Kanto recently? I have. It doesn't hold up. I'm betting most people who praise Kanto and Orange and Johto haven't watched them recently, and are letting nostalgia cloud their memories.

And Johto is largely considered the worst journey because of the huge amount of filler, and Ash's Johto team getting treated like crap.

Yes, the omgzers ash hatez is overdone and frankly isn't warranted. He's a Pokemon trainer. He's made some mistakes. He's made many more good decisions. Just like anyone would in his place.

But have you actually WATCHED Kanto recently? I have. It doesn't hold up. I'm betting most people who praise Kanto and Orange and Johto haven't watched them recently, and are letting nostalgia cloud their memories.

And Johto is largely considered the worst journey because of the huge amount of filler, and Ash's Johto team getting treated like crap.

Yes, the omgzers ash hatez is overdone and frankly isn't warranted. He's a Pokemon trainer. He's made some mistakes. He's made many more good decisions. Just like anyone would in his place.

I rented the Kanto and Johto episodes and watched them alongside the newer arcs. They were just as good, in my opinion.

The anime is like most old TV shows, they're never quite as good as you remember, but I can definitely tolerate the anime over the movies. They always either end with or include Ash crying his eyes out like a little girl who's lost her lolipop.

My problem with the movies is the quality is so much worse than the anime. For the earlier movies, the production just sucked, and the voice actors didn't know what to do. Now, the production is fine and all, but the story lines still are bad.

Which confuses me. They can make a pretty decent 4 part story (Summer School) in the anime, but try making a 90 minute movie and it just sucks the fun out of the room.

If anybody is interested in helping out I've started the anime guide on the Wiki page http://projectpokemon.org/wiki/Anime I'm starting from the beginning but if anybody wants to start in on the later series, that'd be awesome.

Whenever my free time becomes...well, existant, I'll help.

Big fan of Deadpool, by the way.

That's cool, this isn't something that I expect to be completed overnight because there is a ton of episodes to work your way through, I've got up to season 6 on my computer atm. I should have the last 4 seasons in the next couple of weeks.

EDIT: I've updated the anime guide formatting and added the theme songs and lyrics to the first 7 seasons (Indigo League to Advance Challenge)

All the lyrics are transcribed by me from the show openings, I'm trying to do my best not to borrow from other sources and do the research myself and I'd like it to stay that way if at all possible. That goes for the pokemon seen and caught in the episodes

EDIT EDIT: Adjusted some of the formatting, and completed the theme songs for all 11 English seasons and the them for the 12 season in Japan.

Edited by DeadPool

Kanto is by far my favorite pokemon arc. And yes, I have watched pieces of it quite recently. It was what I grew up watching, and Sinnoh will never quite be the same...especially because Ash's new voice is trash to me....that's because I had an ubercrush on Ash back when I was nine. >.<!!!

My problem with the movies is the quality is so much worse than the anime. For the earlier movies, the production just sucked, and the voice actors didn't know what to do. Now, the production is fine and all, but the story lines still are bad.

Which confuses me. They can make a pretty decent 4 part story (Summer School) in the anime, but try making a 90 minute movie and it just sucks the fun out of the room.

I watched Giratina and the Sky warrior and well I couldn't sit still it was a tad boring.

pokemon... pokemon use to be awsome when they were in kanto and johto but I think they stuff it up when they sell 4kid to another company , you think ?

4kids had a lot of censure ship and dubbing issues and generally treated the series like trash. PUSA runs a much tighter ship, and I honestly believe anyone who thinks Kanto and Johto are the epitome of the anime are just looking at it with rose tinted nostalgic glasses.

It's the nostalgia that helps people to still enjoy them, today, I think. Yeah, they were cheesy and kinda dumb some of the time. But you know, they were still fun to watch at the time... and if you look at them the right way now, they're still fun to watch.

They're also really fun to rip on, if that's your thing. Check out the WTF Pokemon series on YouTube, lol.

4kids dubs are trash. =/ I understand that they want to kiddify the shows, but COME ON, it makes me wish some other company would pick up some of the series and redub them for a more mature audience, as some of them were intended to be....

It's why I refuse to watch shows like pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh...because they both have the potential to be good, but both have been dubbed the devil by 4kids and so they must find a reason to dumb it down. Oh, and same with Naruto, too, but that's a completely different story altogether. I refuse to touch onto that one, it hurts too badly.