Bicycles into Pokemon

Can you tell where this is going? :D

So, I was wondering if it would be possible to change the bicycle sprite in HGSS into a Pokemon sprite, I was thinking a Steelix.

Obviously we can't fit a giant sprite, I was thinking of just riding on top of Steelix's head with the rest of its body underground. So, I guess his head could occupy 4 "squares", your character would be placed on the top-right. I can make some sketches it it isn't clear...

So, I'm asking, is it even possible to make the bicycle sprite occupy 4 squares on-screen? How about replacing the Bicycle with Steelix's over-world sprite?

it is possible, but i don't believe its possible with a huge pokemon like steelix.

you see there's a program which allows you to change the over-world sprites that is called poketex. using this program i will now demonstrate how you can bring your idea into life.. or hgss :D...

Each sprite has a limit to it's size.. let me show you 1-4.png see the red square around pidgeot? thats the limit.

but for steelix its different 2-2.png so its harder to work with, to be honest i have no idea how to turn this huge sprite into a bike. but what you could do is, use another pokemon for a bike. each of the over-world sprites has been inserted in the game as number picture thingies...ahh a picture is worth more than a thousand words...3-2.png you could combine the numbers by copy and pasting them, however you may have some problems with the color palette.

hope the information helped ;)

Yeah, that helps! I've replaced sprites before but I've just never thought about trying to replace a little sprite (the bike) with a huge one (Steelix).

I was thinking, can I maybe replace Steelix's overworld sprite with my custom one (with your character on it), then make an action-replay code where if you press L+ R (or whatever) your character's sprite disappears? That way you're riding Steelix and you don't even have to bother with the bicycle!

I'd have to mess with hexes wouldn't I?... xP

I think the trouble would be that you wouldn't know where your going, since you're invisible lol...