PS3 Owners Beware! Error 8001050F is at large!

YuzuruHitokiri

The Playstation Network has been down for two days now. Playstation 3 users all over the world are having difficulties pertaining to error code 8001050F; some of the more significant ones being:

1. All online features pertaining to the Playstation Network are not functioning.*

Any game with an online mode of any sort will not be able to connect online.

2. Trophies are getting erased!*

WARNING: DO NOT PLAY A GAME WITH TROPHIES AT THE MOMENT!!! ALL OF YOUR TROPHIES FOR THAT GAME WILL BE DELETED!!!

3. NEW GAMES WILL NOT START!!!!!!!!!

Just purchase Heavy Rain?... Or MAG?... Too bad, you can't even boot them!...

*Can personally verify with my CECHK01

Rumor has it that this error is caused by faulty coding of the internal clock to register a leap year every two years instead of every four, causing an error in the OS when it gets passed the date as the OS isn't programmed to handle a date of February 29th on non-leap-years...

[EDIT]: The bug has passed, but if data was lost, such as trophies and save data, it is unable to be recovered...

Edited by YuzuruHitokiri

Um..you left out a very big bit of info : / only the fat PS3's are broken. The slim version works fine...

It seems we have a 24 hour wait for a fix (tuesday mornin)

also not all games with online dont work i know my GH doesnt work but Uncharted 2 works grand : /

EDIT : and no your Trophies will not be deleted its just that any that were not synced with the server will not register now they are lost :( and any you earn during this incident will not register..

lolwut? I have an original 60GB Fat PS3 with the latest firmware and have had no problem. 3/1/10. No 1/1/00 or 2/29/10, etc. I'm able to get online and use the PlayStation Store as well. However, I use a Japanese PSN account if that makes any difference what so ever. ~STBE

EDIT: You sent me a message on my PS3 about something called "Sodium". What is that? Is it for Home? I cannot use Home considering it is in Japanese because of my account type.

Um..you left out a very big bit of info : / only the fat PS3's are broken. The slim version works fine...

It seems we have a 24 hour wait for a fix (tuesday mornin)

also not all games with online dont work i know my GH doesnt work but Uncharted 2 works grand : /

EDIT : and no your Trophies will not be deleted its just that any that were not synced with the server will not register now they are lost :( and any you earn during this incident will not register..

I would have said otherwise if it was so... I've heard some reports in comments on some of the news articles about how some fat PS3's were working through the bug and some slims were not...

The "24 hour fix" was just Sony waiting for the day to pass so that the bug would fix itself...

Also, I can personally say that some of my synced trophies were lost and I still don't have them back...

And I'm confused. How does Uncharted 2 (trophy enabled) work?... And if your Guitar Hero is World Tour or III then its all the stranger...

lolwut? I have an original 60GB Fat PS3 with the latest firmware and have had no problem. 3/1/10. No 1/1/00 or 2/29/10, etc. I'm able to get online and use the PlayStation Store as well. However, I use a Japanese PSN account if that makes any difference what so ever. ~STBE

EDIT: You sent me a message on my PS3 about something called "Sodium". What is that? Is it for Home? I cannot use Home considering it is in Japanese because of my account type.

That might make a difference... I've only heard of English-speaking country PS3's going down, like the US, UK, and Australia, and some other European ones but since i don't speak Japanese yet, I can't verify them...

And about the SodiumOne thing, yes, it's Home based... It sends those messages automatically to my friends if I press a button on a menu in the space... I didn't try to send you that...

Yeah all my Uncharted 2 trophies vanished! :o

But i just put the disk back in and they all came back. Just in time too got my plat last night and it goes back today :)

But yeah a few peoples worked fine your just very lucky if you were one of those few :P

Mine gave an awful lot of bother after the clock was fixed it kept stoping and whouldnt read games. All is well now thankfully :)

• 3 months later...