Exporting / importing PKM files for migration

zothh

New to the forums, and I *think* this is where to ask this question.

So I've been poking around in the documentation, and I think the answer is "yes", but I figured I'd check in anyway:

Can I use Pokesav to export all of my captured Pokemon from Pearl (or Diamond / Platinum, in case this answer can be of use to those looking for the same info as me, but with a different version) to SoulSilver (or HeartGold)? I don't want to change anything about them, but I do want the ~200 monsters I've caught so far to "move with me" into the next iteration of the game.

I assume the process would be:

1.) rip save game from Pearl

2.) rip save game from SoulSilver

3.) export to PKM files from Pearl save

4.) import into SoulSilver save (I'm also guessing that to make the Pokedex consistent, it would be a good idea to make them all eggs first)

5.) then patch the save game back into SoulSilver

Can anyone confirm this is true? I'd like to make sure it's possible before I drop money on the game; otherwise I'm going to sit this one out. ;)

Thanks in advance!

Best,

-Z

Just save all the .pkm files from your Pearl save and put them back in your SoulSilver save.

Be aware that you won't get the Pokédex data for your Pokémon if you just put the .pkm in.

We still suggest you simply get another DS and trade.

If you want to backup your SoulSilver save file, you must get an ARDSi or ARDSME.

It's because Rudolph's backup tools don't work for dumping HG/SS save files, since the cartridge is different than every other ds game.

That's good to know about the problems with getting the save file data.

I'd trade em, but finding 200 throw-aways and spending the hours doing that feels like a waste of life... :-/

Thanks!

-Z

• 4 weeks later...

Tested everything out this weekend, and it went great (moved 5 from Pearl --> SS).

I used an ARDSi w/ 2GB SD card and a brand new DS Lite. Also required, Pokesav for Pearl/Diamond, Pokesav for HG/SS, and ARtoSAV (I think that's the application's name; link is in the forums in a sticky thread).

The process, for those interested is as follows:

1.) Set up the DSi software, then add Pokemon Soul Silver to your game list. It will require a game ID and code (which I got by exporting a code file from Pokesav, but I think it's located in three-dozen places in this forum).

2.) Use the AR to extract the save (a .DUC file) from Pearl.

3.) Use the ARtoSAV app to convert the .DUC file to a .SAV file.

4.) Load your .SAV file into Pokesav DP.

5.) Save all the pokemon you want from your .SAV file. Remember to change the output file to .PKM. (Mine kept defaulting to .PKM(, which did not work.)

6.) Open up Pokesav HG/SS, load all of the .PKM files that you just made. In my case, I moved them from a box to the same box; not sure if that's an issue.

6a.) As far as I can tell, Pokesave HG/SS won't let you edit which Pokedex entries are known. To make your new pokemon show up in the Pokedex, you will also want to load the same PKM files a second time.

6b.) You should now have two of every pokemon you want in your HG/SS game. For the second of each, set it to be an egg with 1 (x256) steps to hatch.

7.) Export to AR code. Remember to check all of the pokemon you want to import when doing this.

8.) Load the AR code into your AR using the AR software. I right-clicked and told it to "add cheat", then copied and pasted the code from the output file that Pokesav produced.

9.) Boot up the DS with the AR and HG/SS loaded; have the AR load the cheat you just added.

10.) Fire up Pokemon HS/SS, load your saved game.

11.) Hold L + R.

11a.) Hatch all of your new eggs to make your pokemon show up in the Pokedex. I have not tried National Pokedex 'mon prior to getting the National Pokedex, so I'm not sure what will happen if you try.

Hope that helps someone else!

All best,

-Z

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if you are still interested in moving pokemon from one game to another but i use this method because not only do you move the pokemon but you get the pokedex info also. An added bonus is you can evolve pokemon that require being traded to evolve(e.g. machoke-->Machamp, etc.) without having to give up an extra pokemon. anyways this is the link http://community.livejournal.com/pokewifi/2167924.html

Edited by net1157
fixing link