Ability 1 & 2 Explanation?

Champloo

I never really understood how you can tell these apart?

Which ability would be considered 1 and which would be considered 2?

Also WHY would either ability be consider as such?

And what about Pokemon that only have 1 ability but when checked have Ability 2?

I hope I can get this clarified. =)

A pokemon's ability is determined by one bit included in the DWORD filled with its IV data. If that bit is cleared ( = 0 ), the Pokemon will have its first ability, otherwise if the bit is set (=1), the second ability becomes active. Pokemon who only have 1 ability always have 0 assigned to that bit.

And what about Pokemon that only have 1 ability but when checked have Ability 2?

I hope I can get this clarified. =)

Can you be more precise please ? which Pokemon is it and how did you "check" it ? How would that Pokemon have "Ability 2" if it only has one ?

i think he means like an infernape with a type 2 PID, ignore that part if it has only one ability because thats just the PID type. most, if not all pokemon sites with the ability info up have them in the order they should be so if the ability is first on the list then you need a type 1 to get that ability and if its second on the list you need a type 2 to get that ability

A pokemon's ability is determined by one bit included in the DWORD filled with its IV data. If that bit is cleared ( = 0 ), the Pokemon will have its first ability, otherwise if the bit is set (=1), the second ability becomes active. Pokemon who only have 1 ability always have 0 assigned to that bit.

Can you be more precise please ? which Pokemon is it and how did you "check" it ? How would that Pokemon have "Ability 2" if it only has one ?

That's not what I meant...exactly =/

I was talking about how when you run a Pokemon through Legality checker it's ability doesn't come up as the name of the ability but as a number either 1 or 2. Also when making a Pokemon and pressing the PID/IV to generate a relationship between them one of the columns shows the Ability number.

pidivwindowabilitynumbe.jpg

And This:

aerodactylcircledred.jpg

I basically want to know how you would find out which ability it's assigned by just looking at the number? Also how a Pokemon who can only have one ability sometimes has the number 2 ability number.

Am I making this any clearer?

i think he means like an infernape with a type 2 PID, ignore that part if it has only one ability because thats just the PID type. most, if not all pokemon sites with the ability info up have them in the order they should be so if the ability is first on the list then you need a type 1 to get that ability and if its second on the list you need a type 2 to get that ability

I'm reading your post and I see "Should & Most".

Are you positive every site does this? I really need a definitive answer.

In the game every pokemon has an Ability 1 slot and an Ability 2 slot. The game determines which slot to use by doing PID % 2 (PID mod 2) and if the result is 1, it uses Ability 2 (if available), otherwise it uses Ability 1.

This ONLY pertains to generation 4. Legality shows the ability from that calculation. If the ability which is seen in game does NOT match, then you know its a hack.

The ProjectPokemon PokeDex has the abilities listed in their proper in-game slots. Use that as a reference with legality checker.

I basically want to know how you would find out which ability it's assigned by just looking at the number? Also how a Pokemon who can only have one ability sometimes has the number 2 ability number.

Am I making this any clearer?

To know which ability is assigned, just check its position in ProjectPokemon Pokédex. If a Pokemon has only one ability and when checked has "ability 2" assigned, then it's obviously hacked.

I also made a reference topic a while back pertaining to this topic... but use the Pokedex if it is easier.

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?2358-Pokemon-Class-ID

Also, there is another odd behavior about the game. In every game prior to HGSS, all trainer Pokemon had Ability 1, meaning no Bronzong you encounter from trainers would have Heatproof (Ability 2) but would always have Levitate, nor would you find a Natural Cure Starmie (all Starmies from trainers would have the useless-in-battle Illuminate). In HGSS though, some trainers use Ability 2 on their Pokemon (most noticably Bugsy's Scyther/Scizor which has Technician). And for some Pokemon who gained a new ability in DPP from RSE (like Machop with No Guard which was absent in RSEFRLG), the new ability would be Ability 2. If you have DPP use that to your advantage if you want to by using Skill Swap or Trace or something to find out a dual ability Pokemon's class 1 ability, then you can derive the second ability as well.

In the game every pokemon has an Ability 1 slot and an Ability 2 slot. The game determines which slot to use by doing PID % 2 (PID mod 2) and if the result is 1, it uses Ability 2 (if available), otherwise it uses Ability 1.

This ONLY pertains to generation 4. Legality shows the ability from that calculation. If the ability which is seen in game does NOT match, then you know its a hack.

The ProjectPokemon PokeDex has the abilities listed in their proper in-game slots. Use that as a reference with legality checker.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was trying to find out. So now I know where to reference myself when checking if the Ability is correct. Thanks Sabresite. As always you've been a big help.

I also made a reference topic a while back pertaining to this topic... but use the Pokedex if it is easier.

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?2358-Pokemon-Class-ID

Also, there is another odd behavior about the game. In every game prior to HGSS, all trainer Pokemon had Ability 1, meaning no Bronzong you encounter from trainers would have Heatproof (Ability 2) but would always have Levitate, nor would you find a Natural Cure Starmie (all Starmies from trainers would have the useless-in-battle Illuminate). In HGSS though, some trainers use Ability 2 on their Pokemon (most noticably Bugsy's Scyther/Scizor which has Technician). And for some Pokemon who gained a new ability in DPP from RSE (like Machop with No Guard which was absent in RSEFRLG), the new ability would be Ability 2. If you have DPP use that to your advantage if you want to by using Skill Swap or Trace or something to find out a dual ability Pokemon's class 1 ability, then you can derive the second ability as well.

Sorry I didn't see that thread (maybe I just didn't look hard enough =/) but So as long as I use the PP Dex I'll be accurate when checking if the Ability matches the Class? Just want to be VERY clear on that. I pretty much understand it now.

Class 1 = Ability Listed FIRST on the Project Pokemon Dex

Class 2 = Ability Listed SECOND on the Project Pokemon Dex

Note* IF a Pokemon only has 1 Ability ALWAYS, then if it is Class 1 or 2 it doesn't matter.

Is that pretty much the gist of it?