Games: Rumor: Nintendo DS Successor Dev Kits

NewsBot

• Bot

Article Posted by <a href="/forums/member.php?472">Fallen</a>: <a href="/news/189/Rumor: Nintendo DS Successor Dev Kits">Rumor: Nintendo DS Successor Dev Kits</a><p>

To follow up on a previous rumor of a successor to the widely popular Nintendo DS, a new rumor has surfaced that the developmental kits of  the DS 2 are already in the hands of some developers.</p>

<p>

As of right now, it seems as though Nintendo is trying to put this new handheld on store shelves by the ending quarter of 2010. This could continue the trend of new Pokémon Generations being released with Nintendo's new handheld. </p>

<p>

With Nintendo's media summit just around the corner, February 24th, this may become a truth.</p>

<p>Source: <a href="http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=114390">GoNintendo</a></p>

Edited by Fallen

What about a couple weeks ago when everybody said the next pokemon games would be on the DS(& co.)?

Well it has been officially declared that the new game will be a DS title, but the new System could support it as well since both of their release will be at the end of the year.

Pory means that the new game was stated in several places as being a title for Nintendo DS.

And I maintain (until I am proven wrong which is likely) that the (inferred by me) ambiguity of the term "Nintendo DS title" could lend itself to the next-gen Nintendo DS. Assuming the naming convention goes that way, which, given the plethora of Gameboy platforms, seems plausible.

This better NOT come out until at least late 2012.

The DS is by far the most fun I've ever had out of any handheld system. Ever.

The sales on it are doing fantastic, I got the DSi a few months back and was worth every penny. I love the apps I can use with my DS now and how I can take out my DS games without turning it off.

The DS is still not out of date and there is no need to replace it yet.

This better NOT come out until at least late 2012.

The DS is by far the most fun I've ever had out of any handheld system. Ever.

The sales on it are doing fantastic, I got the DSi a few months back and was worth every penny. I love the apps I can use with my DS now and how I can take out my DS games without turning it off.

The DS is still not out of date and there is no need to replace it yet.

Not going to happen. That would mean the DS had been around 8 years, and that would be completely insane. It was more acceptable back in the days of the original Game Boy, given how much more slowly technology advanced... 9 and a half years seperated the original Game Boy from the Game Boy Color; but that simply wouldn't work anymore.

Every indication so far is that we'll be getting a successor to the DS late this year, so I'd start getting used to the idea. It isn't Nintendo's fault if people get upset that they've got to spend money once every half a decade. The DSi and DSi XL are optional purchases... even the DSLite was an optional purchase. And the sales of Nintendo's handhelds are almost always fantastic; that doesn't mean Nintendo isn't working on something better.

Not going to happen. That would mean the DS had been around 8 years, and that would be completely insane. It was more acceptable back in the days of the original Game Boy, given how much more slowly technology advanced... 9 and a half years seperated the original Game Boy from the Game Boy Color; but that simply wouldn't work anymore.

Every indication so far is that we'll be getting a successor to the DS late this year, so I'd start getting used to the idea. It isn't Nintendo's fault if people get upset that they've got to spend money once every half a decade. The DSi and DSi XL are optional purchases... even the DSLite was an optional purchase. And the sales of Nintendo's handhelds are almost always fantastic; that doesn't mean Nintendo isn't working on something better.

Dont forget 1996-Game Boy Pocket

That would eliminate the DS name, which stands for dual screen

It would, but nowhere has it said that they're keeping the DS name. "DS2" is a fan-made term. Personally I would prefer that they go back to a single screen, increase the resolution, and give it multitouch support. 3+ screens would just be ridiculous, two is more than enough.

Dont forget 1996-Game Boy Pocket

The Gameboy Pocket was not a new console, it was a redesign of the original system. The Gameboy Color, on the other hand, featured new hardware, like a color screen, an IR transmitter / receiver, and an updated graphics engine.

Just a nitpick.

Personally I would prefer that they go back to a single screen, increase the resolution, and give it multitouch support. 3+ screens would just be ridiculous, two is more than enough.

I dunno, I kind of like two screens. Since the DS folds down, it's a nice way to get more screen space without sacrificing portability.

While I agree human concentration is better when using a unique screen, many DS games require both screens to play properly. Take for example the Brain age games, the top screen is used to observe the problems and the Touch screen to write the solution. Furthermore, shifting your concentration between the two screens allow the brain to develop better adaptability to different stimulis. Of course pushing it would end up a failure and the game won't be really successful. The game designers aren't really stupid, they test their games, trying to measure and understand how the human sight work, and how much information the memory can gather when trying to look at both screens in a given amount of time.

Obviously the designers aren't expecting you to be like this guy :

[video=youtube;Ma6MbiaCur8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma6MbiaCur8

But they try to make the game enjoyable by most without making the game too easy. The pokethlon is also a good example, where the two screens are linked in such a way where the player can understand what's happening in one of the screens while only looking at one. So, unless you're literally playing two games at once, having two screens isn't really a big deal, it might even be really useful to have them both.

This subject is really wide and there are so many examples, but I don't want to deviate from the original discussion. So back to topic, what do you think of this article ? http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a203652/nintendo-ds2-kits-given-to-developers.html

• 2 weeks later...

They are developing the DSi with a bigger screen right now. That's all they are making. If a new DS comes out, im totally screwed. My parents won't buy me another and wont let me use my own money. Plus, Xbox 360's are better, so i'll go with that.

They are developing the DSi with a bigger screen right now. That's all they are making. If a new DS comes out, im totally screwed. My parents won't buy me another and wont let me use my own money. Plus, Xbox 360's are better, so i'll go with that.

They aren't developing. It's finished and is out in Japan. IT's getting a NA release soon too.

• 2 weeks later...