Games: Brand New Nintendo Hardware: Platform of Future Pokémon?

NewsBot

• Bot

Article Posted by <a href="/forums/member.php?190">codemonkey85</a>: <a href="/news/176/Brand New Nintendo Hardware: Platform of Future Pokémon?">Brand New Nintendo Hardware: Platform of Future Pokémon?</a><p>

As mentioned in a previous article, Jun'ichi Masuda recently revealed that a brand new Pokémon game would be released by the end of the year in Japan.  Some speculation has been made as to whether this will be a title for the DS, or possibly a successor to the DS; previous generations always began on newer handhelds.</p>

<p>

Nintendo is evidently working on new hardware, according to game producer and designer Shigeru Miyamoto.  He wouldn't say what kind of hardware it is, but if it is a brand new iteration of the DS, then it stands to reason that the new Pokémon game would be released on this hardware.</p>

<p>

Bear in mind, of course, that this is just speculation.  Be sure to check back at Project Pokémon for updates as they appear!</p>

<p>

Source: <a href="http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177860" target="_blank"><u>Shigeru Miyamoto Discusses New Nintendo Hardware (1Up)</u></a></p>

I think Nintendo are starting to get ridiculous... the DS, not long after the Lite, then the "i" then less than a year later the "iXL" and now, potentially, a new one! Can't they just give it a rest for at least a year and let people have a decent amount of time, and fun, on one console before brining out a new, or modified, one!

I don't know about this. The Wii and the DS are both still selling really well, so announcing a successor this early would be counter - productive. It could be just another rehash of the DS (Like the DSI, DSI XL, DS Lite, etc) but other than that I call BS on this one.

I think Nintendo are starting to get ridiculous... the DS, not long after the Lite, then the "i" then less than a year later the "iXL" and now, potentially, a new one! Can't they just give it a rest for at least a year and let people have a decent amount of time, and fun, on one console before brining out a new, or modified, one!

Except that the DSLite and DSi aren't truly successors to the DS in much beyond aesthetics (and most of that change occured with move from the DS Phat to the DS Lite). They're no different than the GBASP or GB Micro; very slight hardware tweaks, but primiarly a lateral move as opposed to a true upgrade. The DSi XL or whatever it's called is the least impressive change so far, and must only be for senior citizens given the god-awful colours Nintendo chose for it.

DS hardware has now been in stores for well over 5 years; if a DS2 does come out by the end of this year, it will have been around 6 years. The Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance were seperated by only 2 years, 5 months... the GBA and DS by 3 years, 8 months. If you ask me, Nintendo has waited long enough to release a successor to the DS. I wouldn't complain if it came out tomorrow, to be perfectly honest.

Edited by AtomicGreymon

The original DS to the DS lite was just a hardware change, with a few possible behind-the-scenes software changes. The DS lite to the DSi was the complete opposite, as a lot of the software was revamped, while the hardware hardly changed in size. Then, those Dual-Color DS lites had received some kind of "special coating" or something on the bottom I think, although it wasn't that noticeable. The DSi XL isn't the "faux" successor to the DSi, just a sister system that was released a year too late. And yes, it is intended for those with eye conditions and for the elderly. No normal person would game with it. As people have been expecting, Gen V might change its console leading up to its release.

P.S. - I remember reading somewhere that the DS was originally supposed to be a sidetrack from the Game Boy series. They had said something like that the DS was a big risk that turned out great. If anything, a new handheld would probably be a new Game Boy if they decide to go back to the series. But I have no idea how they're gonna top the DS without two screens. Unless, you know, it can move in three dimensions with slightly improved GameCube graphics. Although it's a given that it'll be slightly more powerful than a GameCube, just as the DS was with the N64 and the GBA was with the SNES.

Edited by MACandCHEEZWIZ1

Well well well, this what you call marketing strategy.Of course they are confident that people will hate to be left behind.

A new game (such as the 5th gen pkmn game) is just another excuse for them to sell a new diamond studded handheld. Like in the case of GBA, we have no choice but to buy because GBA games can't be used in Gameboy color & pocket. And we ended up buying the no backlight GBA then came the GBA SP(lucky them) as if they haven't thought of putting a stupid light in the GBA. Then came the most succesful of them yet, the DS franchise;

DS are in stores:

*suckers*- wow it's the brand new nintendo DS and has a touch screen! COOL!

DS lite are in stores:

*suckers*- wow it's the DS lite! Hey why are you still holding that dinosaur DS?! Get a life!

DSi are in stores:

*suckers*- wow it's the brand new DSi! And it even has cameras and it really is useful while i play! Wow i took a picture of my self and i can make myself look like an idiot. Hey look look guys, there's a fool still using the DS lite. Let's take a picture of him using DSi cameras and make fun of him.

After 3 mins;

DSi XL are in stores:

*suckers*- wow it's the brand new DSi XL! And it's way bigger than your puny DSi..........hey mom! Where's our house?

DSi are in stores:

*suckers*- wow it's the brand new DSi! And it even has cameras and it really is useful while i play! Wow i took a picture of my self and i can make myself look like an idiot. Hey look look guys, there's a fool still using the DS lite. Let's take a picture of him using DSi cameras and make fun of him.

The DSi is allright, but I'd have been much more inclined to buy one had retained Slot-2 functionality. IMO, one of the biggest mistakes Nintendo has made recently with its handheld line (besides the mountains of horse and pony shovelware) is the complete removal of backwards compatibility with the Game Boy series.

P.S. - I remember reading somewhere that the DS was originally supposed to be a sidetrack from the Game Boy series. They had said something like that the DS was a big risk that turned out great. If anything, a new handheld would probably be a new Game Boy if they decide to go back to the series. But I have no idea how they're gonna top the DS without two screens. Unless, you know, it can move in three dimensions with slightly improved GameCube graphics. Although it's a given that it'll be slightly more powerful than a GameCube, just as the DS was with the N64 and the GBA was with the SNES.

Yep; I recall reading the same thing, and I'm pretty sure that is how Nintendo initially described the DS. I suppose they weren't sure it would be able to successfully take over where the hugely-popular Game Boy line left off. Of course, we all know now that it's been just as insanely successful, if not more so.

And that worries me a little bit for the future of the Game Boy... I'd kind of hoped we'd see the next handheld console as a hybrid of the two; perhaps dubbed the "Game Boy DS", or something like that. But as the DS has proved itself to be extremely popular without any association at all to the Game Boy (particularly now that even GBA-compatibility has been left out of the DSi and DSi XL), I wonder now if we'll ever see another Game Boy again.

Even if Nintendo does decide never to bring the Game Boy back as their flagship handheld, I hope they'll market a new Game Boy in the future as a budget/retro device, with full GB/GBC/GBA game and accessory functionality, featuring a DSLite-quality backlit LCD screen. Currently the only properly backlit device you can play every single Game Boy game on is the second iteration of the GBASP, assuming you can find one at this point. Otherwise you have to settle for the original sidelit GBASP, or the Micro which is incapable of playing GB & GBC cartridges. Nintendo must be aware there are still millions of GB, GBC and GBA cartridges floating around out there... I think there's still some money to be made for them from that market, if they were to release such a handheld.

Actually, I think Mewtwo_EX (or someone) posted that info before I even put this article out... and I didn't even notice it until after it was too late. :P

However, technically, could they be referring to a new DS? A DS II or something? I don't read Japanese, so I dunno how subtle the difference would be between referring to the current model and a hypothetical new one. Any thoughts, Guested? :D

However, technically, could they be referring to a new DS? A DS II or something? I don't read Japanese, so I dunno how subtle the difference would be between referring to the current model and a hypothetical new one. Any thoughts, Guested? :D

Or it could end up like Twilight Princess... starting as a title for one console, and then ending up being on the successor instead. Though it all depends on what Nintendo's new hardware is, and when they choose to release it. I'm sure GF would've preferred making Gen V for the DS2, but Nintendo hasn't left them much choice so far, given how long they've left the DS on the market.

Or it could end up like Twilight Princess... starting as a title for one console, and then ending up being on the successor instead.

Good point.

Also, hey, what's this?

The Nintendo DS continues to sell incredibly well month after month, but that doesn't mean Nintendo isn't thinking about the future. One particular plan involving a successor to the DS might be closer to a reality than some would think. A new rumor (via GoNintendo) regarding the DS2 claims that developers already have the system in their possession. Following up on that, CVG is now reporting that DS2 development kits are indeed in the hands of "select developers in Japan." Not only that, but the system includes a motion-sensing feature that one anonymous developer with access to the system described as "a 'tilt' function that's not dissimilar to iPhone," but added that it "does a lot more."

Among the third party companies that have access to the DS2 is The Pokemon Company, which the source said "are getting special attention with it."

CVG's source doesn't believe the system will be shown at the annual Game Developers Conference, which runs from March 9 - 13. "Any kind of March announcement wouldn't fit with the timeline I understand the second DS to be on," he explained. Therefore, don't expect to see the new DS revealed at the Nintendo Media Summit next Wednesday, though 1UP will be there in any event.

Just last month, it was reported that Nintendo president Satoru Iwata (supposedly) dropped some hints about a possible DS2, including a mention of a motion sensor. That he ever said anything of the sort was refuted, and various shots were fired between Nintendo and the newspaper that originally reported on Iwata's comments. Regardless of who was actually correct in their recollection of events, it would seem that there was some truth to both the motion sensor comment and the existence of the DS2.

E3 is once again planned for June this year, and that seems like as good a venue as any for revealing something like the DS2.

I hope they wait a bit more with releasing a new handheld...

The DS has already been around for over 5 years... by the time the DS2 comes out it will probably have been around 6 years. The Game Boy Advance wasn't even around 4 years before the DS replaced it... and the Game Boy Color barely lasted 2 and a half years. How long would you have Nintendo wait before giving us the DS2? IMO, it's already been long enough.

Personally, I hope the Gen V games do end up on the DS2... since I doubt the local wireless system of the DS2 will be very different from the DS, I doubt there'd be any barrier to giving the new games a time capsule feature like the original Gold and Silver had; so we'd still be able to communication with Generation IV despite the games being on different handhelds.

The XL is just a DS targeting a specific market (eg. old people). I'm surprised they didn't give it a colour option of that fake wood veneer you often find in senior citizen's cars. The vast majority of the people who buy the XL won't care if a new handheld comes out relatively close behind the one they bought. That's no reason to delay a DS2 any longer, if you ask me. And so far it's not looking like Nintendo thinks so, either.