PKHeX on Linux

ZeArk

Ok, Preface first, I managed to run PKHeX on Linux, although I haven't test whether the edited save works or not because I didn't have my game atm.

Anyways this (hopefully) should be foolproof, considering I'm one and I managed to do it.... Oh and another disclaimer, don't expect the GUI will be pretty. Btw, I'll try to be as concisely as possible, I'm on my phone writing this.

1. Install PlayOnLinux. It's hassle free Wine from my limited experience, no need to manually set prefix or the like. Foolproof.

2. Download PKHeX and extract the compressed file like you would on Windows.

3. Right click .exe and choose the first option. [please refer to scr1 image]

4. The program will tell you that you missing dotnet (insert dotnet version here) and offer to download it for you by opening your browser (should be legit, it's legit Microsoft website after all).

5. Open the downloaded dotnet using the same step of the 3 step [please refer to scr2 image] and proceed to install it like you would on windows.

6. Magic(?) [scr3 image]

As you can see, the GUI doesn't seems displayed properly but hey, as long as it works some cosmetics imperfections can be overlooked.

Btw, just like I said on first paragraph, I haven't test whether the edited save works or nah because I currently didn't have any Pokemon games on hand, but it should works. If you have any Pokemon save game file you can test and report.

Hopefully this actually works and helping many people that currently on Linux.

Edit:

Tested on Ultra Sun. Editing Pokemon is working [scr4 image].

So far afaik the only problem that I've encountered is in inventory editor, instead limit the items per category if you pick item on the drop-down it shows all items, irregardless of choose category [scr5 image (even if I'm on berries category but the drop-down show all items, although the Give all give category specific items)] 

scr1.png

scr2.png

scr3.png

scr4.png

scr5.png

Edited by ZeArk
Additional information
  • Like 1
  • V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1
  • Amazed 1

• ZeArk changed the title to PKHeX on Linux
  • 3 weeks later...

Came here to say that you can also get it running with Bottles.

Install Bottles and create a new container/bottle for applications, install these dependencies in order dotnet40, dotnet45, dotnet452, dotnet46, dotnet461, dotnet462, dotnet472, dotnet48, dotnetcoredesktop3 and dotnetcoredesktop6.

Finally download .NET Desktop Runtime 7 manually and install it using the "Run executable" in your bottle.
Mixing other dependencies besides these ones would mess it up sometimes and was a bit finicky. That's why I suggest a new container and installing these in order for bottles.

Even though .NET 7 apps work in this case, it's not "officially" supported. So far I haven't experienced any crashes, but the issue is that the .Net 7 apps are slow. Regarding PKHEX, when you select a Pokemon, you have to wait a bit and you'll see the fields changing over time, just wait for it to finish.
If you want it snappier, you can always use the 22.12.18 version instead, it works with Scarlet and Violet. Though in the future you'll probably have to use the newest version (which uses .NET 7).

EDIT: If you only want/need PKHex, you can skip most of the steps above and just install .Net Desktop Runtime 7.
But if you need a container for all your .Net apps (with different versions), I suggest doing all the steps above.

2023-02-15_04-55.jpg

Edited by Chillsmeit
  • Like 1
  • V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing! I actually hadn't thought of directly installing NET 7 in the Wine prefix. I can finally delete the Windows virtual machine 😋

A little note to @Chillsmeit's post. You don't actually need to install all of the dotnet dependencies. Installing the NET 7 one from the provided link is enough. I'm using a clean prefix with Wine 8 and it's working perfectly fine.

@Taku86 Yes, you only need .NET 7 for the new PKHex version. It was just a suggestion for people to create a bottles container for all .NET apps.
In my case I use .NET 7 and .NET 6 apps, so it was easier to make a container for all of them to be honest.

For other people interested in this but don't want/can't use bottles for some reason. You can do this on a wine prefix too.
First make sure you have wine and winetricks installed.

1. For example to create the prefix: (when winecfg opens up, set it to windows 10 mode)

WINEPREFIX=~/.mywineprefixnamehere winecfg

2. If you only want .NET 7 for PKHex,  install it through wine control: (after you create the prefix)

WINEPREFIX=~/.mywineprefixnamehere wine control

After opening wine control, go to "Add/Remove Programs", select "Install" and then manually pick the .NET Desktop Runtime 7 setup you have downloaded.

3. Or if you want a wine prefix for all your .NET apps, you can install them all and set it to win10 mode like this:

WINEPREFIX=~/.mywineprefixnamehere winetricks dotnet40 dotnet45 dotnet452 dotnet46 dotnet461 dotnet462 dotnet471 dotnet472 dotnet48 dotnetcoredesktop3 dotnetdesktop6 win10

EDIT: If winetricks complains. Try and update winetricks with "sudo winetricks --self-update". I also suggest you install "allfonts" with winetricks, sometimes you need them.

Edited by Chillsmeit

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I tried using a bottle with kron4ek-wine-9.0-rc1-staging-tkg-amd64 runner, and it still didn't work with the latest PKHeX and .NET 8

Edit: Hmm, tried again with PKHeX 23.10.11 and .NET 7, and it still didn't work, so I may be having some other issue

Edited by DRayX7

At the moment a patch is required in order to run the latest PKHeX version. While the 9.0-rc1 fixes the crash at startup, the program still crashes when right clicking on boxes or when opening menus. You have to compile Wine from source with the patch provided here. Currently using 9.0-rc2 with the patch and PKHeX is working fine. Of course .NET 8 needs to be installed in the prefix.

2023-12-20_23-05.png.75033e8fc71b911da36403c7c7fc4efc.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 11:17 AM, Lubiandres said:

@Taku86And how to apply the patch to the compilation, I don't quite understand.

i modified the arch aur wine-git package to include the patch on my end.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-git

if you use arch, just download it by clicking "download snapshot" and unarchive it. replace the PKGBUILD with the one attached to this post. also save the wine patch, dpi.patch i attached to this post and place it in the same directory with the PKGBUILD. then run makepkg --syncdeps and when that is done, makepkg --install

if you don't use arch, its been a long time since i compiled from source the traditional way. so i forget.

PKGBUILD dpi.patch

Edited by orlfman

On 1/16/2024 at 4:34 PM, orlfman said:

i modified the arch aur wine-git package to include the patch on my end.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-git

if you use arch, just download it by clicking "download snapshot" and unarchive it. replace the PKGBUILD with the one attached to this post. also save the wine patch, dpi.patch i attached to this post and place it in the same directory with the PKGBUILD. then run makepkg --syncdeps and when that is done, makepkg --install

if you don't use arch, its been a long time since i compiled from source the traditional way. so i forget.

PKGBUILD 4.87 kB · 3 downloads dpi.patch 587 B · 3 downloads

Thank you very much friend for your nice effort, but it didn't work for me maybe because I don't use Arch Linux. But again thank you very much

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the work of Fabian Maurer

https://gitlab.winehq.org/wine/wine/-/merge_requests/5064/diffs

PKHex is now compatible with version 24.01.12 on Unix

to update your version execute the following commands

rm -rf $HOME/.local/.share/pkhex
wget "https://bitbucket.org/amidevous/pkhex/raw/master/update.sh" -qO update.sh
chmod +x update.sh
./update.sh
rm -f update.sh

I will update the package on the deposits probably Monday