Help awaken the Pokémon Dream World!

theSLAYER

On January 14th, 2014, the dreams of Pokémon Trainers all over the world were lost.
This was the day that Generation V's 'Dream World' was shut down for good.

For those unfamiliar, the Dream World was a section of the Pokémon Global Link website players could connect to using their copies of Pokémon Black & White and Pokémon Black 2 & White 2.

Players could tuck their Pokémon into bed via the C-Gear, and then have them partipate in flash minigames to earn 'Dream Points'.
Dream Points could also be obtained by participating in berry growing, or making friends by visiting another players customizable house.
However, the Dream World was most notable for the distribution of several exclusive hidden abilities, as well as Legendary and Mythical Pokemon, such as Arceus - all of which were housed in a special 'Dream Ball'.

It was, in essence - an extension of the Generation V games.

And this is where the history lesson would normally end...

However, a developer by the name of shutterbug2000 is taking it upon himself to restore the Dream World back to its former glory.
shutterbug is no stranger to these kind of projects, having played an important role in the creation of Kaeru WFC - a 'hackless' solution to playing DS and DSi games online again via Wiimmfi; an alternative service to Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (WFC) post-shutdown.
As well as some important contributions to the 'Pretendo Network', a recreation of several game servers for the 3DS and Wii U.

But there's a slight snag -- He needs your help!
The Dream World was made up of several Adobe flash files that it used primarily for graphical assets; while many of these have been recovered, there are still several missing!

If you have an old PC or laptop you've ever played the Dream World on, or maybe even an old Hard Drive, please use the following guide to lend a hand:

https://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/datahub/Recovering_Files_from_Browser_Cache#Flashpoint_Cache_Exporter

Simply run the Flashpoint Cache Exporter on the computer you played on and upload your cache to help find missing files!

If you're unsure whether the program has found any missing files, the Dream World files, check to see if you have any files from cdn.pokemon-gl.com (not a direct link).

Join our site's Discord server (https://discord.gg/66PzPgD) and head to the #dream-world-revival channel and we can discuss further relating to what needs to be done
image.png

Together, we can visit the Island of Dreams again.

View full article

• V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1
  • Amazed 1
  • Hahaha 1

This really excites me. I hope this goes well as I played a bunch back in Generation V with Dream World. I would love to contribute, but I don't think I have any files relating to it after I performed the  program mentioned above.

• Like 1
  • Time Gear 1

4 hours ago, spellsky7 said:

I don't want to be a downer, but I've seen efforts to bring this back and return unsuccessfully. I REALLY hope this works since I never played this part of gen 5; may I ask how this attempt will be different? More experienced developers?

Experienced developers who got basic functionality working. To my understanding, what they need is a bunch of data from the cache to restore other functionality. There’s only so much one can do without the necessary data.

• Like 3

The Road to Lavender Town From Vermillion

On 1/27/2023 at 2:59 PM, theSLAYER said:

Experienced developers who got basic functionality working. To my understanding, what they need is a bunch of data from the cache to restore other functionality. There’s only so much one can do without the necessary data.

That's great! Is there a specific discord or channel that I can check for updates on the data gathering?

It would be amazing to see this successfully brought back!  :PSMD-Amazed: I never had the chance to use the Dream World back when it was still around, so a revival of it would be wonderful for all of the people who never got to use it or simply would like to see that functionality restored.

I'll have to see if I can find anywhere to share this; the more people that know about it, the better the chance of someone who has the necessary data coming across this project, or so I would presume.

Wishing shutterbug2000 the best of luck!

• Like 1
  • Ditto 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, mewto2015 said:

slayer , i have pokemons of the drewams world in me game, that work for you?

What they need isn’t Dream World mons in game, it’s that you have a computer that accessed Dream World that’s still around, haven’t had the hard drive wiped, that sort of deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 old laptops that I believe I would have used for this, a super old 2002 laptop and 2008 laptop. Still on XP and Win7. I can check if they might have files there. 

OP, you should make a thread on Reddit so this can really get some traction 

• V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

3 hours ago, Chica said:

I have 2 old laptops that I believe I would have used for this, a super old 2002 laptop and 2008 laptop. Still on XP and Win7. I can check if they might have files there. 

Good luck.

Also, the thread couldn’t be made on the Pokémon reddit. To my understanding the mods kept removing it. Probably because it’s technically hacking data via third party means and they want to have none of that; that’s just my guess.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 9:39 PM, Chica said:

how did this turn out? 😮

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2023 at 1:26 AM, theSLAYER said:

Good luck.

Also, the thread couldn’t be made on the Pokémon reddit. To my understanding the mods kept removing it. Probably because it’s technically hacking data via third party means and they want to have none of that; that’s just my guess.

I did notice the channel not being responsive except for one person who knows shutter; is there a place where people can get in contact with shutter that's not the flashpoint server? For people like the one that has those old laptops and others that want to follow the project?

Edited by spellsky7

Yeah so it’s generally a preservation channel but not strictly for Dream World. I’m in talks with the guys to see if a proper Discord can be set up just for it 

EDIT: We set up a channel in our own Discord

• V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My uncle showed me Dream World once when it was still running, but sadly the computer he used has long since been disposed of. I know there's a Game Sync "emulator" called Entralinked that can be used in the meantime, but it's far from a perfect substitute - especially since I can't seem to get it working. I hope a more proper Global Link replacement can finally be realized in the near future.