Change met level Gen 3+Gen 4 into obtained level when transfer to Gen 7

Latios.

Hi all,

First, thanks for being such a great community! 

I'm transfering all my Gen 3  (R + FR Colo + XD) + Gen 4 (DP + HG) Pokémon from their original games to Gen 7 USUM (to go into Bank + Home later).

I hope someone could help me with the following:

For nostalgic purposes I'd like to manually set the 'Met Level' to their original level caught. (The method from Gen 5+ onwards, also when transfering to Gen 6+.)

However, I understand that officially Gen 3 + Gen 4 Pokémon will get their current level as 'Met Level' in Gen 5.

Gen 3+4 Obtained: lv5 Current: lv100 = 'Met Level 100'. Gen 5 onwards: Obtained: lv5 Current: lv100 = 'Met Level 5'.

My question is:

- Is it okay to manually set this to their original level caught when transfering Gen 3+Gen 4 to Gen 7? Could I run into some (small legality) issues or other unforseen things?

And for Gen 1 + Gen 2 VC I would like to do this for the starters/static encounters too. Any things I should keep in mind there?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Latios.

2 hours ago, Latios. said:

Is it okay to manually set this to their original level caught when transfering Gen 3+Gen 4 to Gen 7? Could I run into some (small legality) issues or other unforseen things?

Depends. Things like exclusive tutor and level up moves that require the Pokemon to level up / evolve will require a higher level prior to transfer.

Same for Gen1/2. Can always brute force the lowest possible value yourself.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kaphotics said:

Depends. Things like exclusive tutor and level up moves that require the Pokemon to level up / evolve will require a higher level prior to transfer.

Same for Gen1/2. Can always brute force the lowest possible value yourself.

Thank you for your quick reply. That is good to know.

Reading back, I might not have been clear. Just checking again:

I meant  " set this to their original 'Met Level' ".

So my lv100 Pokémon will still be lv 100, just the 'Met Level' I would to set this back to 'Met at Level 5' for example.

Did you mean this for 'Met Level' too?

Keep up the amazing work Kurt, I appreciate it! 🙏

•  
Edited by Latios.

16 minutes ago, Kaphotics said:

Yes.

Thank you for re-confirming. I wanted to make sure to check that because so far actually all flag as legal in PkHex while adjusting it's Met Level back to original. Even with moves that aren't quite possible. For example a Fury Cutter (Gen4 Move Tutor) Charizard w/ Met level 5 (adjusted) in USUM.

So that's really helpful to check manually as you said. Thanks, very much appreciated again! 

On 1/11/2023 at 2:11 AM, Latios. said:

Even with moves that aren't quite possible. For example a Fury Cutter (Gen4 Move Tutor) Charizard w/ Met level 5 (adjusted) in USUM.

That move is possible because Charizard can learn Fury Cutter, but Charmander and Charmaleon can lean that move too.

So, after changing Charizard met level to 5 PKHex assumes your Charizard learned that move at level 5 as Charmander, wich is possible.

The sceneario that could be illegal would be a move that Charizard can learn only on gen 3 or 4, but Charmander can't. That move will require your pokemon to be a Charizard on gens 3 or 4 to learn that move before being transfered to gen 5, so met level must be at least 36.

Edited by javier_himura
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2023 at 10:43 PM, javier_himura said:

That move is possible because Charizard can learn Fury Cutter, but Charmander and Charmaleon can lean that move too.

So, after changing Charizard met level to 5 PKHex assumes your Charizard learned that move at level 5 as Charmander, wich is possible.

The sceneario that could be illegal would be a move that Charizard can learn only on gen 3 or 4, but Charmander can't. That move will require your pokemon to be a Charizard on gens 3 or 4 to learn that move before being transfered to gen 5, so met level must be at least 36.

Ah that's actually great to know, didn't think that far yet. I appreciate it.

Do you know if Pkhex DOES take this all you mentioned into consideration then when I manually change to lower the 'Met level' (for example to lv5)? Would be amazing if it flags this when its not possible. But I'm not sure yet if it does and is always accurate.

Edited by Latios.

30 minutes ago, javier_himura said:

Yes. PkHex takes this into consideration durings the legal analysis. With a met level 5 any exclusive Gen 3 Charizard moves will be flagged as illegal (if there is any, I am not sure).

Thank you for your insight and that's awesome.

So then I guess it's pretty rare to become illegal. So far I'm able to re-set a lot of my GEN3/4 Poké's 'Met Level' to their original while moving them from GEN3/4 to GEN7 without any illegal flag. It went so smooth that I started to doubt it pays that subtle attention to this matter too haha.

What a great tool PkHex is. :)

Keep in mind is a rare scenario. The only illegal moves in this scenario will be moves that a Pokemon can only learn after evolving but can't learnt it on future generations. Most Pokemon does not have any move with those two caracteristic, exclusive for an evolved form and exclusive from previous generations, both at the same time. And it should be a Pokemon that can't evolve on any level like those who use evolution stones. For example, Jolteon in gen 5 has a move hat Eevee can't learn nor Jolteon can't learn during gen 5 but given Eevee can evolve into Jolteon at any level the move will be legal at any met level.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, javier_himura said:

Keep in mind is a rare scenario. The only illegal moves in this scenario will be moves that a Pokemon can only learn after evolving but can't learnt it on future generations. Most Pokemon does not have any move with those two caracteristic, exclusive for an evolved form and exclusive from previous generations, both at the same time. And it should be a Pokemon that can't evolve on any level like those who use evolution stones. For example, Jolteon in gen 5 has a move hat Eevee can't learn nor Jolteon can't learn during gen 5 but given Eevee can evolve into Jolteon at any level the move will be legal at any met level.

Ah okay that makes a lot of sense. Difficult stuff but good to all know and to take with me when changing the Met Level. Thanks again!