can't open any 3ds pokemon saves in pkhex

jennychoo

Hello. im having trouble opening my saves for 3ds pokemon (OR & moon) into pkhex. I am sure that I am doing something wrong. Looking at other posts of this issue the common culprit seems to be using save states in an emulator instead of saving but Im playing my cfw 2ds. ive been looking at this post for a potential solution but I think I'm getting something wrong in the earlier steps. For starters, no one else's saves seem to still be named "0000001". Ive already deleted the secure value also. Any help is appreciated:)

The save attached is my Omega Ruby

00000001.sav

Edited by jennychoo
details of the attached file

30 minutes ago, jennychoo said:

Hello. im having trouble opening my saves for 3ds pokemon (OR & moon) into pkhex. I am sure that I am doing something wrong. Looking at other posts of this issue the common culprit seems to be using save states in an emulator instead of saving but Im playing my cfw 2ds. ive been looking at this post for a potential solution but I think I'm getting something wrong in the earlier steps. For starters, no one else's saves seem to still be named "0000001". Ive already deleted the secure value also. Any help is appreciated:)

The save attached is my Omega Ruby

00000001.sav 1 MB · 0 downloads

You thoroughly misunderstood the post you've linked.

The whole point is to inject said save into your game. (Example being you've backed up an old SD card, and you've backed up all the content, without using CFW to make a proper save backup)
But it only works if:
a) that save came from an SD card made on the same device, and
b) you're playing the digital versions of the game, and
c) you've not reformatted your device.

If you want to open saves normally, use JKSM/Checkpoint on your CFW'd device, and dump the saves normally.

00000001.sav is an encrypted save and PKHeX doesn't read that.
Using the dumping method I've mentioned above, you can get a decrypted save that PKHeX can read.

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

You thoroughly misunderstood the post you've linked.

The whole point is to inject said save into your game. (Example being you've backed up an old SD card, and you've backed up all the content, without using CFW to make a proper save backup)
But it only works if:
a) that save came from an SD card made on the same device, and
b) you're playing the digital versions of the game, and
c) you've not reformatted your device.

If you want to open saves normally, use JKSM/Checkpoint on your CFW'd device, and dump the saves normally.

00000001.sav is an encrypted save and PKHeX doesn't read that.
Using the dumping method I've mentioned above, you can get a decrypted save that PKHeX can read.

I realized this after making the post, backed up the sav with Checkpoint, and then made a probably even more grave mistake by trying to copy the "main" file into the location of the 0001 file by overwriting it with the same name. Now omega ruby crashes when i open it😭

I assume I can just delete and reinstall the whole rom, but after I make a save and back it up again how can I open my game to it after editing the save in pkhex? When I backed it up earlier and edited the save it still opened to the game state prior to my changes which is why I thought the main file needed to be where the 0001 file is. I'm used to editing saves very easily on DS games and I'm not understanding the extra steps with the 3ds games

8 minutes ago, jennychoo said:

I assume I can just delete and reinstall the whole rom,

or you can insert the earlier 00000001.sav back into the same location.

but after I make a save and back it up again how can I open my game to it after editing the save in pkhex?

Dump save from 3DS/2DS using Checkpoint/JKSM
Edit save in PKHeX.
Export edited save from PKHeX
Restore said edited save into 3DS/2DS using Checkpoint/JKSM.

We have tutorials on our forums.

I'm used to editing saves very easily on DS games and I'm not understanding the extra steps with the 3ds games

Times have changed. Console companies continue to beef up the security of their devices.
These steps aren't as complicated as you make them out to be, you just ain't used to them yet :)

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

or you can insert the earlier 00000001.sav back into the same location.

Dump save from 3DS/2DS using Checkpoint/JKSM
Edit save in PKHeX.
Export edited save from PKHeX
Restore said edited save into 3DS/2DS using Checkpoint/JKSM.

We have tutorials on our forums.

Times have changed. Console companies continue to beef up the security of their devices.
These steps aren't as complicated as you make them up to be, you just ain't use to them yet :)

Ohhhh I'm supposed to restore in Checkpoint also💀

Okay I had already deleted the game after the message so I'm just installing the cia again and then I will create the save, back it up edit and then restore. Thank you so much for helping I will probably update again to be sure it all work but it seems like the steps you laid out are very straight forward

Oh one more question will i have to back up and restore every pkhex edit?

1 minute ago, jennychoo said:

Okay I had already deleted the game after the message so I'm just installing the cia again and then I will create the save, back it up edit and then restore. Thank you so much for helping I will probably update again to be sure it all work but it seems like the steps you laid out are very straight forward

I'm hoping you aren't pirating the game. Piracy isn't allowed on our forums.

Oh one more question will i have to back up and restore every pkhex edit?

You gotta back up every time if you want to edit a save with the latest progress you've made.

You've gotta restore every time whenever you make an edit.

Remember: it ain't magic. Progress you've made on your 3DS/2DS, and edits you've made on your computer, won't magically transfer between devices if you didn't initiate the transfer.

5 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I'm hoping you aren't pirating the game. Piracy isn't allowed on our forums.

You gotta back up every time if you want to edit a save with the latest progress you've made.

You've gotta restore every time whenever you make an edit.

Remember: it ain't magic. Progress you've made on your 3DS/2DS, and edits you've made on your computer, won't magically transfer between devices if you didn't initiate the transfer.

Cia? Lmao I meant I smashed my cartridge with a mallet and am on my way to walmart to purchase another copy. Ty!

• Like 1