Strange Issue with Emerald saves in mGBA

BIGTRUCK

Hello friends,

I'm currently playing through Emerald and have been switching back and forth between mGBA on my (Windows 11, 32-bit install) PC and PizzaBoy on my Android phone. I've noticed something odd when saving the game in mGBA, my save file ends up being 129kb instead of 128 and then can't be opened in pkhex. Weirdly, it still loads fine in either emulator, and when I save again in PizzaBoy it goes back to being 128kb and able to be opened in pkhex. Even more strangely (maybe?) if I make a save state in mGBA and then use the save file converter to turn that into a .sav, it ends up being a usable 128kb file. However no matter what I do with the working 128kb save, it ends up going back to 129kb as soon as I use the normal save function again in mGBA.

Have attached a save of each kind. I'm wondering if maybe it's an issue with the ROM? Trying to use multiplayer in mGBA hasn't worked at all :s

Much thanks and love ❤️

EDIT: Quick note on file sizes, the broken mGBA version ends up 16 bytes larger (131 088 bytes compared to 131 072).

Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe).sav Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe) - save state converted.sav Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe) - pizzaboy.sav

Edited by BIGTRUCK

On 11/6/2022 at 7:05 AM, BIGTRUCK said:

Hello friends,

I'm currently playing through Emerald and have been switching back and forth between mGBA on my (Windows 11, 32-bit install) PC and PizzaBoy on my Android phone. I've noticed something odd when saving the game in mGBA, my save file ends up being 129kb instead of 128 and then can't be opened in pkhex. Weirdly, it still loads fine in either emulator, and when I save again in PizzaBoy it goes back to being 128kb and able to be opened in pkhex. Even more strangely (maybe?) if I make a save state in mGBA and then use the save file converter to turn that into a .sav, it ends up being a usable 128kb file. However no matter what I do with the working 128kb save, it ends up going back to 129kb as soon as I use the normal save function again in mGBA. snake game

Have attached a save of each kind. I'm wondering if maybe it's an issue with the ROM? Trying to use multiplayer in mGBA hasn't worked at all :s

Much thanks and love ❤️

EDIT: Quick note on file sizes, the broken mGBA version ends up 16 bytes larger (131 088 bytes compared to 131 072).

Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe).sav 128.02 kB · 3 downloads Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe) - save state converted.sav 128 kB · 3 downloads Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe) - pizzaboy.sav 128 kB · 3 downloads

Trying to use multiplayer in mGBA

On 11/6/2022 at 8:39 AM, BlackShark said:

The saves are not broken, it's a new feature of mGBA that adds RTC data to the end of the file.

Use the dev build until the next stable release.

Is there an option to disable this feature in mGBA?
(I looked for it, but I didn't found it)