Swapping Versions

elSteeler

Hey all, just wanted to confirm something. I have been looking online for a while about a way to change a game's version to its counterpart's (Blue to Red, Silver to Gold, etc). I'm playing through all the gens and looking to complete the Pokedexes and would rather just use the same save and swap to the other game's encounter tables when needed. PKHex doesn't seem to support it, but I was able to boot up Red on emulator with my Blue save and everything is seemingly fine, so I was curious if anyone had any experience with this and what gens work well or not when swapping like this. I suppose just an easy method to switch between the two encounter tables would work well too. Thanks!

Pre-Gen 7 games seem to be fine with that.

Since game specific events seems to use the same event flag, swapping doesn't *appear* to do anything serious.

That all changed with Gen 7.

Game events have separate flags, and swapping versions can cause a soft lock.
SWSH is worse; game exclusive Gyms, and gym leader triggers (for their dialogue), and exclusive overworld Pokemon, can cause the game to crash and perform other weird oddities.

Until you're in the post game, I would recommend not doing that for newer games.

For all games, you *can* do it, but at your own risk :3

17 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Pre-Gen 7 games seem to be fine with that.

Since game specific events seems to use the same event flag, swapping doesn't *appear* to do anything serious.

That all changed with Gen 7.

Game events have separate flags, and swapping versions can cause a soft lock.
SWSH is worse; game exclusive Gyms, and gym leader triggers (for their dialogue), and exclusive overworld Pokemon, can cause the game to crash and perform other weird oddities.

Until you're in the post game, I would recommend not doing that for newer games.

For all games, you *can* do it, but at your own risk :3

This is great news, being able to play through gens 1-6 once instead of twice is huge! Thank you for the advice, I'll just make sure to swap after story events have been completed since I have seen some issues on this forum regarding ORAS and the two evil teams.

• Like 1