Does save file editing cause lag? Also, why can't I edit pokemon?

After doing some save file editing I noticed that each time I changed something(was always very small) when I loaded the game the fps dropped significantly(5fps maybe) so I'm not sure if that was the save file editing or if it was a fluke. In addition, the editing I was doing was where I was trying to give my Zangoose that I edited in a nickname, level, evs, ivs, etc but whenever I exported it, nothing changed. So, it'd be a massive help if one or both of these questions could be solved.

I figured out the issue, it was that I didn't press set on the pokemon I was editing. However, do edited mon make the game more unstable because after I made changes my load up fps went from about 27 to 23 then on my second change it went from 23 to 20 even though all I did was add a wurmple? Also, I removed the wurple and then the fps went to 17 on load up.

Edited by ABigCoconutTree

Regular save edits, like changing learnable moves, changing possible abilities etc, shouldn't cause game lags. All that is likely the artifact of the mind, or the place you saved in (and then the game is trying to boot up and load that area).

For save editing to cause any potential game issue, I imagine you'll have to do some kind of crazy edit, and edited yourself into an area that the game can't load, or edited in stuff that the game struggles to load, while writing a bunch of garbage data into other sectors of the save.
Basically it all comes down to putting yourself in a situation where the game struggles to load all the corresponding data.

• Like 1

The game is Ultra moon and my specs aren’t the best so that might be causing it but it does feel weird that my FPS drops noticeably whenever I do a small change and save in same area again and then reload the save.

I do agree though that a part of this may just be my mind playing tricks on me.

33 minutes ago, ABigCoconutTree said:

The game is Ultra moon and my specs aren’t the best so that might be causing it but it does feel weird that my FPS drops noticeably whenever I do a small change and save in same area again and then reload the save.

You're playing on Citra aren't you. Try playing it on a N3DS or something.

But yeah, the game has regular slowdowns, and it is especially noticeable on an emulator.
It just sounds like you're trying to associate a regular occurrence (the slowdown) to save editing.

Next time, always save and boot up purely in a Pokemon Center. Less things for the game to try to load around you on game bootup.
Do it a couple of times, see if the slow down is noticeable on fresh bootup. Only then, perform the save editing, make the same mental note.

Saved in a pokecenter then changed my save and it seemed to have the same fps. Then I undid my change and it still had the same fps so I think I'm good now. It looks like if I don't save after making the change my fps stays the same(to clarify, this time I'm doing the edit then loading in and then I close the game but before I was also moving a few steps then saving the game before closing).

12 minutes ago, ABigCoconutTree said:

Saved in a pokecenter then changed my save and it seemed to have the same fps. Then I undid my change and it still had the same fps so I think I'm good now. It looks like if I don't save after making the change my fps stays the same(to clarify, this time I'm doing the edit then loading in and then I close the game but before I was also moving a few steps then saving the game before closing).

Wait, we’re you trying to edit the save while the game was running?

No of course not lol, I meant that before after I had made the edits I also moved a bit(still in the same area it was just a few steps) and saved but now I just checked the changes and closed without doing a second save.