Movepools for Rom Hacks

Blue 2 Pran

I am curious as to whether or not PKHeX identifies the new moves in ROM Hacks. For example, if I play a Gen 3 ROM hack that has the fairy type with gen Gen 8 moves, will PKHeX identify the Gen 8 Moveset for the Gen 3 ROM Hack file?

36 minutes ago, Blue 2 Pran said:

I am curious as to whether or not PKHeX identifies the new moves in ROM Hacks. For example, if I play a Gen 3 ROM hack that has the fairy type with gen Gen 8 moves, will PKHeX identify the Gen 8 Moveset for the Gen 3 ROM Hack file?

No, if PKHeX is able to read the save in the first place the move will either come up as nothing iirc or will be a different gen 3 move. The save just stores values and the ROM interstates those values as per what the ROM has been told what those values mean. For example if ROM hack replaces Tackle with Moonblast the ROM hack will read it as Moomblast, but everywhere else will read it as Tackle.

27 minutes ago, Poke J said:

No, if PKHeX is able to read the save in the first place the move will either come up as nothing iirc or will be a different gen 3 move. The save just stores values and the ROM interstates those values as per what the ROM has been told what those values mean. For example if ROM hack replaces Tackle with Moonblast the ROM hack will read it as Moomblast, but everywhere else will read it as Tackle.

alr thanks for letting me know, is there a way for me to find out what corresponds to which move?

like in ur example, how do i find out tackle is moonblast in the rom hack without having to learn the move prior to it?

38 minutes ago, Blue 2 Pran said:

alr thanks for letting me know, is there a way for me to find out what corresponds to which move?

like in ur example, how do i find out tackle is moonblast in the rom hack without having to learn the move prior to it?

You’d have to have to use ROM hacking tools to figure that one out, you could try asking the ROM hack’s creator for that list, if you already have a Pokémon with that move you can see what it replaced, or by trial and error.